ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   'Big cat' (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/780595-big-cat.html)

TopBanana 28 July 2009 03:06 PM

'Big cat'

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West | Policeman takes 'big cat' video

Did they forget the word for dog? :wonder:

sarasquares 28 July 2009 03:10 PM

Its funny that the only evidence ever presented is a grainy picture or a background that does not show the 'cat' in scale :wonder:

Its prolly the Lock Ness Monster :D

SJ_Skyline 28 July 2009 03:11 PM

That's a cat alright, just look at how it walks - like it owns the bloody place :lol1:

sarasquares 28 July 2009 03:13 PM

I want to know why the guy videoing the cat is panting so much :wonder:

SJ_Skyline 28 July 2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8848431)

Read the article Squaresy: He ran back to his car to fetch his camera/phone. :)

sarasquares 28 July 2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 8848435)

Thanks for that :D

Miniman 28 July 2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8848422)
Its funny that the only evidence ever presented is a grainy picture or a background that does not show the 'cat' in scale :wonder:

Normally I'd agree, but with the railway line you can estimate its size. Assuming its a standard railway gauge 4ft 8.5 inch (West Highland line?), then the big cat is hardly that big. At one point it is length on and doesn't appears to reach from rail to rail including tail. A full grown adult black panther would be as bigger than the gap/gauge excluding the tail. This one is smaller. It's a domestic moggy, not big or fierce!

al4x1 28 July 2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8848431)

he was knocking one out at the same time he was that excited.

It was a cat but it wasn't that big probably just a big domestic moggy or maine coon

dpb 28 July 2009 04:12 PM

Which would explain the choosen equipment for filming - best video footage ever , what :confused:

scunnered 28 July 2009 05:15 PM

Its a rare "Kellas cat".
I saw one myself a few years ago.
They are a bit bigger and and have a longer tail than a normal domestic cat.

Devildog 28 July 2009 05:33 PM

Its prolly the Lock Ness Monster :D

You know its bad enough that "you English" :p can't say "loch" correctly, but at least try and spell it properly :brickwall:razz:

DYK 28 July 2009 05:56 PM

I was expecting something the size like a werewolf from dog soldiers....

Steve_PPP 28 July 2009 05:58 PM

definately a cat - can tell from the way it walks, and its bigger than a domestic cat. but its not massive.....

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 8848707)
You know its bad enough that "you English" :p can't say "loch" correctly, but at least try and spell it properly :brickwall:razz:

haggis muncher :p:D

Gordo 28 July 2009 08:04 PM

it wags its tail in the first few seconds - looks black lab to me :)

TopBanana 28 July 2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 8848435)

.. and he's a fat fecker

unclebuck 28 July 2009 10:38 PM

Lock Ness Monster :D

LOL - that's why sightings are so rare... :lol1:

He's always locked up.... I'll get me coat...

:D

Tenby 29 July 2009 11:36 AM

these stories are always funny. i think i saw bigfoot last weekend

scunnered 29 July 2009 11:54 AM

These very rare cats were first discovered when one was trapped and shot in 1984 near Kellas in Morayshire. DNA tests have proved them to be a hybrid between a Scottish wild cat, and a feral sub species of domestic cat. They are however larger than both.
There's an example of one in a museum in Elgin.

EddScott 29 July 2009 12:21 PM

As the cat is by the railway, I decided to ask on one of the model railway forums I use if they could judge the size. This is what they came up with.

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h...eholdkitty.jpg

If its about half the length between the two rails its about 2ft long. Its big, but not big cat big.

billythekid 29 July 2009 12:24 PM

Defo a Kellas, but quite a big one IMHO.

Leslie 29 July 2009 12:58 PM

I think it is a cat the way it moved.

I saw a large cat very similar to that when I was returning from sea trout fishing about 0130 am. I was on my motor bike and when I came out of a blind corner it was sitting in the road in front of me. I did not want to stop so I dropped into second and accelerated to go past it. Its head was about the height of my handlebars as it was sitting. Just as I reached it, it sloped off over the bank hedge and out of sight.

I saw it once more in daylight on the way down a long hill and it was in a field high up on my left. The cows were taking no notice of it.

I have since met three people whom I trust who have also seen the same creature in the neighbourhood. One is a farmer and he said it was after his chickens. The farmer who owns the field near where I saw it that night won't keep any lambs in the field any more.

Les

Simon 69 29 July 2009 01:31 PM

Perhaps its a Scottish wildcat (felis silvestris grampia [disputed] / felis silvestris silvestris)? Theyre bigger than domestic cats, I believe, at up to 800mm long, up to 8 kilogrammes in weight and with a shoulder height of up to 350mm: thats a big pussy!