ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Classic Headlights **PROJECTOR RETROFIT** (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/780241-classic-headlights-projector-retrofit.html)

Stevo210 26 July 2009 07:24 PM

Classic Headlights **PROJECTOR RETROFIT**

7 Attachment(s)
I know I'm not the first and I'm sure if people have got the patience to strip and modify their lights to make them 300 times better I very much doubt I'll be the last!!!! After seeing 'Shumacher's' lights and 'Darms' how to guide, I thought I'd give it a whirl, how hard could it be?

Here's some pics of my finished little project. I wanted to try and keep as much of the OE look as I possibly could as I really like the Crystal headlights as they were and I was a bit reluctant to modify them but I struggled to see on dark wet nights.........
I will get some night output shots up as soon as I can which are mega compared to the stock halogen units, but heres a teaser of some I took in the rain.

I also intend to do a step by step 'How-To' if there is enough interest :thumb:
Attachment 52457
Attachment 52458
Attachment 52459
Attachment 52460
Attachment 52461

A couple when I was setting them up.
Attachment 52462
Attachment 52463

Hope you liked em....:thumb:

joey_turbo 26 July 2009 07:40 PM

Very nice. Let me tell you, I'm sure there will be enough interest for a step by step guid. I know its been done before, but is always good to see/hear how other people do them.
I already want to know what projectors you used.

Stevo210 26 July 2009 08:07 PM

Thanks mate, I got the projectors from 'The retrofit Source' in the US. But as others have done I did a lot of research into how xenons work and what was best for me. Looking on sites like HID planet etc.
There's a lot to learn, its like being back at school.:lol1:

darms 26 July 2009 09:40 PM

Well done mate :thumb: Really nice to see my how to guide being used. :D

You'll never go back to std headlights ;) Enjoy!

tanyatriangles 26 July 2009 09:48 PM

I'd like to see your "how to".

How do these projectors do dip/main beam?

Stevo210 26 July 2009 10:28 PM

They are Bi-Xenons with a shield that lowers on a simple solenoid to let the whole light shine out, thus removing the cut-off (dipped beam)

Looks like I better get to work on the 'How-To' guide.:thumb:

tanyatriangles 27 July 2009 12:18 PM

Yep. Could be my next mod;)

joey_turbo 27 July 2009 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles (Post 8845855)
Yep. Could be my next mod;)

To replace the morettes? :eek:

tanyatriangles 27 July 2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 8845858)
To replace the morettes? :eek:

yep, would sell them on.........

dunx 27 July 2009 03:40 PM

I can add that they look superb even up close, you've done a superb job on the up-grade.
:notworthy
As a triple HID fool I'd recommend them, awesome.

dunx

Stevo210 27 July 2009 04:08 PM

Cheers matey, if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing with a good dollop of OCD :thumb:

I'm still going to get a set of them Hella beauties you have gracing the front of yours. When the missus aint looking.:lol1:

darms 27 July 2009 07:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so only slightly like mine then mate..... ;) hellas rule :)

Attachment 52464

Attachment 52465

:D

BLU 27 July 2009 07:49 PM

I’ve not gone for hid’s before as they never look ‘factory’
You’ve got yours looking just that though.
It on my list of ‘to-dos’ now so hurry up and get that guide up!!

Stevo210 27 July 2009 09:08 PM

blu-scoob......Thanks mate, I really like the crystal headlight and I was both reluctant and nervous about chopping them up.:thumb:

Darms......Thats a shameless display of 1 up manship!!!:lol1::thumb:
Night shots coming later tonight if I can get the camera working.

Stevo210 28 July 2009 10:50 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Some night shots as promised :thumb:
2 second shutter speed, f3.5
Attachment 52466
Attachment 52467

1.5 second shutter speed, f3.5
Attachment 52468
Attachment 52469

Good riddance to the Halogens :luxhello:

Way better shots with a way better camera :)
Attachment 52470
Attachment 52471

firebug 28 July 2009 10:58 PM

there looking good mate, looks like you can see about 20 times further than the standard lights!!!
and them hellas look mean darms.

dunx 29 July 2009 12:36 AM

Nice ! lights as quick as your car is a big add-on safety wise....

IMHO

dunx

olliecampbell 01 August 2009 11:37 PM

Look excellent. I wonder how well they'd fair in an MOT though?

joey_turbo 01 August 2009 11:40 PM

The beam pattern in the last two pics is spot on, and thats all the MOT testers care about.

dannyboygti 02 August 2009 08:38 AM

look amazing on my list of mods 2 do now just need to get a face lift front end ( what parts are needed for the conversion with the single angel eye and the crystal clear lights

tanyatriangles 02 August 2009 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 8857567)
The beam pattern in the last two pics is spot on, and thats all the MOT testers care about.

I agree: judging by the number of cars on the road with badly mis-aligned lights, they certainly don't test alignment.

olliecampbell 02 August 2009 12:00 PM

BTW that is a cracking PDF you've made :)

Stevo210 02 August 2009 12:36 PM

Thanks for your comments Olliecampbell, took a bit of doing, but worth it if it'll help other members to have a go.:D

There's no reason why it wouldn't pass an MOT as projectors are fitted as standard to most top end cars..Audi's, BMW's, Merc's etc. They don't have as sharp cut-off line as mine so mine should be even more likely to pass than a badly adjusted Audi.

Those are just my thoughts though.:thumb:

Stevo210 02 August 2009 12:39 PM

Dannyboygti - The angel eyes will just wire into the side lights loom I think.
Then you'll just have to get some projectors.

dannyboygti 02 August 2009 03:46 PM

what lights would i need to use then or just get a set with the angle eyes and moddify it thanks chap

Stevo210 02 August 2009 06:32 PM

Any set will do really. The Angel Eye will just sit over the projector. You can buy an aftermarket shroud that fits over the projector like mine that has a recess that will accommodate the Angel Eye as well.
Hope that helps.
:thumb:

joey_turbo 02 August 2009 07:17 PM

Yep, cracking PDF.
Quite a few cars I can think of have projectors, but not HID's (Ford Puma, Nissan 200sx, Mk2 Fiat Punto). Is there any reason why those projectors can't be used? Must be cheap for a set of Mk2 Punto headlights.

Stevo210 02 August 2009 08:32 PM

Thanks for the nice comments :D

Im not entirely sure but I've heard somewhere that the reflector bowl in a projector are either designed to take a halogen bulb or HID bulb.
So taking a Punto projector and using a HID bulb may not work as good as a specifically designed bowl.

Then again I might be talking out of my $&%$

Porsche, Range Rover and Mercs use HID. its harder than you think to get a set from a scrapyard too because they wont split the headlight for just the projector. So you have to find a car thats had both headlights glass broken and yet not damaged the projector in any way. Not easy!!
I found a merc scrapyard thats had a headlight unit that had a cracked glass and he wanted £200..... ....mental.

darms 02 August 2009 11:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I sourced my projectors from the UK and they were FREE :thumb:

If anyone wants any projectors drop me a line ;) and I'll see what I can do. I opted for some Jaguar XJ Bi-Xenon when I done my retrofit back in 2008.

Attachment 52472

As for the Angel Eyes - I purchased them direct from the manufacturer in China.

For those interested my original "how to guide" it can be found here Darms Projects (password = scoobynet)

However its not as flash as Stevo210's guide though ;)

Stevo210 welcome to the Exclusive UK Scooby Projector Retrofit Club

1. cuprajake/Schmacher/(new owner) ????
Attachment 52473

2. me
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../aDSC00296.jpg

3. watchman
Attachment 52474

4. Puddle Jumper
no pics :(

5. VTR steve
Attachment 52475

6. Stevo210 buddy, you take the well deserved 6th place

Well Done :thumb:

DazW 03 August 2009 08:41 AM

jeff,

Cant post on the moved thread, so...

Re: your question about RHD projectors ...most OEM (well the 3 i looked at) projector units are easily reversable from LHD to RHD (the angled cut off is controlled simply by a shaped piece of metal that sits in front the bulb & behind the lens) this can then be flipped ...I guess to save manufacturer's money when it comes to LHD & RHD markets