ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   I/C water spray,Do you use it ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/780153-i-c-water-spray-do-you-use-it.html)

greatgonzo 26 July 2009 11:46 AM

I/C water spray,Do you use it ??

Does any one use it ?
Do you feel any power gains ?
I take it you are meant to press it as you floor it or just before :wonder: but why is the button in such a stupid position you have to take one hand off the wheel and when giving it some beans that seems to be a recipe for:cry:
Am i right in saying that the JGM models have an auto spray :confused:

TonyBurns 26 July 2009 11:56 AM

You mean JDM models? ;) and yes they do have auto :D which saves you a hell of a lot of messing around ;) but you use it say after you have been sitting in heavy traffic and then start moving to reduce temps etc, or if your having a little blast :)
On a 200 mile drive on a hot day, my old Spec C used up virtually all 12ltrs of water on auto :eek:

Tony:)

the_big_1 26 July 2009 11:59 AM

I wish I could get a JDM wiring diagram and I could do a DIY guide to make I/C spray on none JDM car work the same.

TonyBurns 26 July 2009 12:00 PM

Think the ecu is different as thats what control's the auto I/C water spray :)

greatgonzo 26 July 2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8844125)
You mean JDM models? ;) and yes they do have auto :D which saves you a hell of a lot of messing around ;) but you use it say after you have been sitting in heavy traffic and then start moving to reduce temps etc, or if your having a little blast :)
On a 200 mile drive on a hot day, my old Spec C used up virtually all 12ltrs of water on auto :eek:

Oh yeah I must have Simon on the mind (Jolly Green Monster):D:D

greatgonzo 26 July 2009 12:03 PM

Is there some sort of kit (mod) that you can get for the Hawkeye :wonder:e

uk300scoob 26 July 2009 12:43 PM

yes there are diy threads on fitting your own water spray with a boost pressure switch that the water spray kicks in on a preset boost pressure, i have just done my own diy waterspray on my 07 wrx hawkeye and only using it with a switch no boost pressure switch just manual use

uk300scoob 26 July 2009 12:51 PM

Quality automatic intercooler sprayer for under $50. - NASIOC

try that but you can you a separate windscreen washer bottle and if you wana use the pressure switch then so be it but you dont have to. i will be posting up this week the way i done mine on my 07 wrx and it might help you, plus use mist nozzles not the jets works better, but i have used to large mist sprays and 4 jets on my intercooler getting it wired up this week and cost me in total 20 quid

massive 26 July 2009 05:59 PM

only use mine if its a warm day and i'm giving it some teddy but mines not automatic i have to press a button but i do feel a surge when its spraying :norty::norty::norty:

rickya 26 July 2009 06:08 PM

Great on track ;)

M444GY 26 July 2009 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by rickya (Post 8844704)
Great on track ;)

lol it was constantly spraying ricky when we went out lol

TurboAndy 26 July 2009 06:26 PM

I have a JDM bug eye and just leave mine on auto all the time.

the_big_1 26 July 2009 07:36 PM

If anyone can get the jdm wiring diagrams, let me know.

mak24seven 26 July 2009 07:52 PM

Must admit i thought it was some kind of technical water injection system :cuckoo: untill i opened the bonnet and got a mate to press it, only then was i greated with a pish poor dribble of water followed by a bit of a gush all over my polished paint work and me :confused: Lets just say i dont use mine because with out it being automatic it might as well not be there.

V5RLTD 26 July 2009 07:59 PM

I got bored of filling mine up! Went front mount and forgot about all about it. I was gonna get the jets relocated but was told it was'nt worth the effort!

greatgonzo 27 July 2009 11:54 AM

So is there definitely no mod you can buy to create a auto spray for the Hawkeye (uk) :wonder:

the_big_1 27 July 2009 12:37 PM

Get me a JDM wiring diagram and I will create a mod lol

madras 27 July 2009 12:39 PM

Guys, this may help you...

http://www.chalkcreative.com/snet/di...circuit-v2.gif
http://www.chalkcreative.com/snet/sti_switches.gif

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

madras

djmisio85 28 July 2009 08:17 AM

I was watching an Interview with Toshi Arai about the new Spec C, its all in Japanese, so if you understand Japanese, its worth watching hehe:thumb:

SUBARU : Special Interview

click on the picture of Toshi

He says that the waterspray plays a big role power-wise. He says that when driving fast, and water temperatures of about 70 degrees are reached, when using the waterspray, it reduces these temperatures by up to 40 degrees, which translates into a power difference of between 20 and 25 bhp.....:eek::eek:

the_big_1 28 July 2009 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by madras (Post 8845887)

I need information on the pressure switch part i.e is it fitted only for waterspray or is it on every STI for something else too?

Butty 28 July 2009 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by the_big_1 (Post 8847884)
I need information on the pressure switch part i.e is it fitted only for waterspray or is it on every STI for something else too?

Like Tony says - its the JDM ECU controlling the relay trigger and I'de expect it to be a combo of ECU boost level AND inlet temp (from MAF sensor) that triggers the spray relay.

Using just a boost signal will use a lot of water and wouldn't be necessary when charge temps are low.

There's some gauges that can trigger a signal out when boost/temps are exceeded.
The SPA gauges definitely do this as I've used the boost trigger on an old Forester.
Defis also may offer this trigger?

Nick

the_big_1 28 July 2009 02:46 PM

Most OEM's dont cahnge ECU or even wiring, I know, I design for one of them lol So I wanted the JDM wiring diagram to check out is Subaru do the same. Think of it like the STI has no front fog lights but all the wiring is there, just not the lamp or switch.

Butty 28 July 2009 03:13 PM

I think I'll shut up then and let you find out the hard way :thumb:

Turbo2 28 July 2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by djmisio85 (Post 8847694)
He says that the waterspray plays a big role power-wise. He says that when driving fast, and water temperatures of about 70 degrees are reached, when using the waterspray, it reduces these temperatures by up to 40 degrees, which translates into a power difference of between 20 and 25 bhp.....:eek::eek:

I must be thick, but I don't understand the logic of that. :wonder:

What has the water temperature got to do with it? Is it an air/water intercooler? I just assumed it was air only: i.e. the water spray vapour is used to reduce the temperature of the cooling air through the bonnet scoop so that the i/c functions more efficiently. Someone on here likened it to splashing your face with water and going for a quick run.

Is he saying that the intercooler filaments themselves reach 70°C and that the water-spray reduces this by 40°C down to a pretty ambient temperature of 30°C? That's quite a reduction, if true.

I'm still very sceptical that it gives an extra 20-25bhp though. Maybe on a car that's been cooking in standing traffic for a while, but unlikely if on the move, as per his claim that it particularly helps when driving fast.

daddyscoob 29 July 2009 12:05 AM

:lol1: I gonna be completly honest...... on my STI it makes f**k all difference in power or SURGE while accelerating. The big thing I notice about it is that at loww radio volume it causes a bit of interference.....:freak3:

Apart from that a waste of time......

dunx 29 July 2009 12:02 PM

Mine is now connected to the washers... needed room under the bonnet !

LOL

dunx