ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Sky relay (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/779670-sky-relay.html)

Trout 23 July 2009 05:35 PM

Sky relay

I have some key ingredients and a key outcome.

I have a house, it is long and very old so really think walls, so cabling for multi-room was not practical. I also have to use two wireless range exanders to get wireless everywhere - but that is strong.

I do have wireless right through the house.

I have Sky HD (freshly installed and looking good at one end) and a kids playroom at the other end.

The Broadband router is as far away from the Sky box as you could possibly get and there are no physical network access points in the same room as the Sky box.

My ideal outcome is to be able to relay and ideally control the Sky box from the kids playroom. There is no contention for the box as we watch it in the evenings and kids will be in bed.

What is the best, non-cabled, solution to relay the signal?

Thank you in anticipation.

Rannoch :D

Markus 23 July 2009 05:46 PM

Greetings oh new usernamed fishy like one :D

Something like this perhaps?

Do you happen to have X10 in the house? Possibly not due to the think wall issue (think walls? Are you sure this wasn't used by Big Brother - Orwell, not the crap TV show), anyway, if you do, then this may do what you want.

Trout 23 July 2009 06:40 PM

My problem is that both of those solutions are independently wireless and are very unlikely to work. I use a high power wireless router and even that needs a range extender to work between the two key rooms due to thick walls and the length of the house.

My ideal is a box that streams to my existing wireless network and something to attach to the TV at the other end. I am sure this is not a unique requirement!

Ant 24 July 2009 12:19 AM

Tbh the best way which you don't want , is to get it cabled stick a magic eye on it . Job done :thumb:

Ant 24 July 2009 12:20 AM

Try a slingbox to stream not sure on controlling it though

Hanley 24 July 2009 08:11 AM

Use 5.8Ghz wireless and it may work okay.

Doesn't suffer as much interference as 2.4Ghz and penetrates better :norty: :norty:

STi wanna Subaru 24 July 2009 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 8840203)
Tbh the best way which you don't want , is to get it cabled stick a magic eye on it . Job done :thumb:

yeah as above. goes against what you say but run a rf cable around the outside of the house and into the kids room. magic eye on the end. done.

Trout 24 July 2009 11:38 AM

I have had an idea - I 'think' the roof space is open all the way through - that might help!!

Back to the drawing board.

In the interim can anyone tell me what a Slingbox/Slingcatcher/Sling Turbo could do in this situation?