ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   HOSTING! Arrrgghhhh, someone put me out of my misery?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/779442-hosting-arrrgghhhh-someone-put-me-out-of-my-misery.html)

Edcase 22 July 2009 04:35 PM

HOSTING! Arrrgghhhh, someone put me out of my misery?!

Right, I'm in need of hosting for a new venture.

Typically I'm one of those people who researches everything to the nth degree before I make a purchase and typically it pays dividends - however everywhere I look regarding hosting all I see is contradictions, dead-ends and frustration!!

Knowing how many IT folk are on here I thought you might be able to help :)

The site will be WordPress, need a really good image / photo display plus zoom etc. and the blog / news part will be video and image heavy. I will also likely need a checkout function / ecommerce.

Majority of the views / users will likely be UK, but I do expect a significant amount of American users, which could spike at certain times depending on the content / events there.

Mosso seems basically perfect however it is well out of my price range / requirement, I'm looking at around £20 a month ideally.

specific recommendations so far have included:

Web Hosting by DreamHost Web Hosting: Web Sites, Domain Registration, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, all on Debian Linux!

(mt) Media Temple - Web Hosting Built to Scale.

Web hosting and domain names at 4UHosting.co.uk

I very nearly went with media Temple yesterday until I noticed that you seem to have to pay extra for mysql, which basically doubles the monthly fee to $40??

I would sincerely appreciate some advice, I'm now running behind schedule and basically treading water.

thanks
Ed

Markus 22 July 2009 07:03 PM

Have look at url=http://www.titaninternet.co.uk/]Titan Internet[/url]. Lots of hosting options, both windows and unix.

They will probably be able to put a package together for your specific needs, so it's well worth at least talking to them.

I've been using their WIN100 package (£100 per year) for quite some time now, probably at least since 2001, and I cannot rate them highly enough. Support is first class and very prompt indeed.

ScoobyDoo555 22 July 2009 08:05 PM

Titan Internet

You're welcome ;)

Dan :D

ps also look at X10 hosting :)

ChrisB 22 July 2009 09:07 PM

Another vote for the guys and gals at Titan.

MattW 22 July 2009 10:37 PM

UK Domain names | Web hosting | Online Shop With Daily.co.uk

Used them for a couple of years and excellent service

BlkKnight 23 July 2009 07:37 AM

1&1 Internet Ltd.- Home Page

Website Hosting, Hosting, UK Hosting, Business Web Hosting

Edcase 23 July 2009 11:17 AM

Thanks guys.

re: titan, the included webspace is pretty measly...most other places I've looked are in GB, there is no way I could cope with 250mb.

Also any idea what's best for wordpress-based sites? Windows/unix/linux?

Any good forums specifically for discussing hosting?

cheers
ed

Edcase 23 July 2009 11:36 AM

Also how are fasthosts these days? Used them some years back and seem to remember they were good?

IWatkins 23 July 2009 11:50 AM

Web Hosting : Professional Web Hosting from Just Host

I'm using these guys, was a nice and easy setup, WordPress included (and so many other optional software packages), not had any problems and unlimited storage/bandwidth.

Cheers

Ian

Edcase 23 July 2009 12:07 PM

Bloody hell - surely too good to be true?! I've learnt the hard way in the past that if something seems to good it generally is!!

How long have you been using them?

thanks
Ed

Edcase 23 July 2009 04:55 PM

Right, after more digging, I'm going with Media Temple's Grid Service, thanks for your input, I will report back in a few weeks and let you know how I get on so I can share the love (or hate :))

Ed

IWatkins 24 July 2009 08:28 AM

Hi Ed,

Yep, thought the same thing. Bit too cheap (money wise) if you know what I mean, so thought yeah, it'll all work, but be dog slow or support will be useless etc.

But no, been with them a few months, my sites are fast and I had a problem with some FTP accounts (I had messed them up) and support were right on it and fixed in ten minutes. They also have an anytime, money back, so if at any time you are not happy, money back :).

Do let us know how you get on with Media Temple, I hear good things and always on the look out for good hosting.

Cheers

Ian

Scotsman 25 July 2009 09:50 AM

We use Titan Internet as well - excellent service.

fruit 12 August 2010 07:23 AM

Thanks i learn more about it ......