ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   Classic oil catch tank fitting guide, with pics! (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/779330-classic-oil-catch-tank-fitting-guide-with-pics.html)

mike h 21 July 2009 11:17 PM

Classic oil catch tank fitting guide, with pics!

18 Attachment(s)
Bits I used:
Oil catch tank x 1
1/2 inch reinforced blue air line hose, I used about 2.5 Metres.
Size 20 Jubilee clips x 6
1/2 inch equal Tee x 1
Aluminium bungs made to suit inlet pipe
Cable ties

Disclaimer
Any mod you make to your car is up to you. Although I'm pretty handy with the spanners I'm no guru and have no formal training as such.
This is how I've fitted my catch tank and it works fine.
I wont be blamed if you do something and it all goes pear shaped.
Mike.:)

1)
I made my own bracket as the one supplied was crap and couldn't be fitted anywhere decent.
Attachment 52432

Attachment 52433

2)
Decide where you want to mount it, bearing in mind where you are going to route the pipework.
Attachment 52434

Attachment 52435

3)
These are the breather pipes you need to do away with. When you take them out bung up the holes. I hade some aluminium bar turned to the right diameter.
Attachment 52436

4)
The crank case breaths into a T piece which directs the "fumes" either to the throttle body or the air intake pipe depending whether or not the engine is on boost. This is determined by the PCV valve in the throttle body. Off boost it is open, letting the "fumes" breath into the throttle body. On boost the valve shuts and the "fumes" travel up the other pipe to the air intake.
You can either take the T piece off altogether and block the PCV valve, or just take the pipe off that goes to the air intake (keeping the T piece and PCV intact).
I choose to keep the PCV.
Attachment 52437

5)
Remove the crank breather pipe that went to the air intake.
Attachment 52438

Attachment 52439

6)
This bit is easier to do with the alternator out of the way.
Remove the rocker cover breather from the air intake, you will be left with this pipe poking out under the manifold:
Attachment 52440

7)
Connect your new pipe to the crank case T piece. This will need to be T'd to the rocker cover breather pipe.
As the tube is 1/2" inside diameter (13mm) there is no way it will fit over the crank breather T piece. T piece is about 16mm. Warm the end of the pipe with a blow torch so it goes really soft, then wiggle it on.

You can see how much it stretched in this pic.
Attachment 52441

8)
Crank case and Rocker covers T'd together.
Attachment 52442

Attachment 52443

9)
Fit the bungs into the air intake.
Attachment 52444

10)
Now you need to join the breathers to the catch tank inlet.
Attachment 52445

Attachment 52446

11)
Then connect the oulet pipe and either vent the can to atmosphere, or back to the air intake. As I bunged the holes in my intake, I vented mine to atmosphere. I ran the pipe from the oulet through the inner wing and pointed it to the floor.

Attachment 52447

Attachment 52448

12)
All done. :luxhello:
Attachment 52449

I have some more of the pipe I have used for sale @ £3 per metre + postage. Just PM me.

slipstream_uk 21 July 2009 11:34 PM

Excellent guide mate.

mike h 21 July 2009 11:39 PM

There have been loads of posts on here about this subject (including me), so I thought I'd do a guide.

I've asked for it to be put in the Technical archive.

massive 21 July 2009 11:55 PM

top job fella been thinking of getting one of these myself :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Jamz_ 22 July 2009 10:58 AM

Top job there... just out of curiosity though, where is the ABS unit on the facelift classic models?

Where you have fitted the catch tank on here, there is a wacking great big abs unit on mine (which i may remove soon)