ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Henry Surtees killed in freak accident. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/778936-henry-surtees-killed-in-freak-accident.html)

ScooByer Trade 20 July 2009 06:53 AM

Henry Surtees killed in freak accident.

He was racing at Brands Hatch, when a stray wheel from a crashed F1 car knocked him unconcious :( then proceeded to plow into a barrier :eek:.He was taken to a Hospital but was confirmed he died from his injuries :cry:.I don't follow F1 much, but it's a sad loss to all the families and friends.RIP my friend.

BOB.T 20 July 2009 07:54 AM

It was an F2 race...

very sad :(

davyboy 20 July 2009 08:09 AM

Yep, saw this and had to watch it a few times to understand what happened.

That wheel just landed in exactly the wrong place, he could have been slightly to the left or right, or have been going a bit faster or slower......but I guess thats the way most accidents happen

Wrong place, wrong time.

ScooByer Trade 20 July 2009 09:21 AM

Yeah sorry an F2 race.

RRH 20 July 2009 12:05 PM

Real sad news :(

Nat 20 July 2009 12:08 PM

What a sad random incident. Just shows you can make cars as safe as you want but you can't stop the unexpceted :(

davyboy 20 July 2009 12:10 PM

I thin it's a new car design, and they should have paid a bit more attention to wheel tethering I think!

Snazy 20 July 2009 12:28 PM

Holy crap thats messed up !
RIP

Jerome 20 July 2009 12:35 PM

I was there as a guest of the chief medical officer at the track.

He was due to be showing us around the pits etc but was understandably busy dealing with this accident. My disappointment at missing out on the pit visit was put into perspective when we saw Henry being loaded onto the helicopter.

Very sad waste of a talented young man.

I understand another driver was badly injured yesterday, but can't find any news on if he's OK.

Snazy 20 July 2009 12:40 PM

John Surtees Son Killed: Henry Died In Formula Two Racing Accident At Brands Hatch | UK News | Sky News

monotokpoint 20 July 2009 02:06 PM

Yeah was there too. Expected the worst when we saw the helicopter take off. I guess the possibility of injury or fatality is part of the territory, but still a shame when it happens

Snazy 20 July 2009 02:25 PM

Just seen the actual accident.... what are the chances !!! :(
Terrible bad luck.

Leslie 20 July 2009 02:32 PM

Very sorry to see the bloke lose his life in such a freak accident. I feel for his father and family too of course.

Les

ScooByer Trade 20 July 2009 02:52 PM

Does anyone think it would be unsafe, if a roof was attached over the cockpit ?.Also make sure that in an accident, where the shell sits it isn't deformed so that it can be removed quickly ( jet fighter style just pull a lever ) and also can't be knocked off.The problem i can see is if the car is upside down anywhere on or off the track the driver is trapped.Eliminate the possibility of a malfunction too.

Funkii Munkii 20 July 2009 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8832364)
Very sorry to see the bloke lose his life in such a freak accident. I feel for his father and family too of course.

Les

+1 a very freaky accident, very sad circumstances

Boro 20 July 2009 03:11 PM

Just watched the accident and it made me feel sick. Truly tragic :(