ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Will Another Big Name Fail? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/778723-will-another-big-name-fail.html)

SunnySideUp 18 July 2009 07:20 PM

Will Another Big Name Fail?

Allied Carpets now gone.

Who is next?

One thing is for sure, it will be an outfit who treats it's Customers like dirt ....

DSGi anyone? Currys, Dixons, PCWorld and Pixmania to get shot finally by their shoddy Customer Service? :thumb:

Nat 18 July 2009 07:21 PM

Lets hope so.

chocolate_o_brian 18 July 2009 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8829318)
Allied Carpets now gone.

Who is next?

One thing is for sure, it will be an outfit who treats it's Customers like dirt ....

DSGi anyone? Currys, Dixons, PCWorld and Pixmania to get shot finally by their shoddy Customer Service? :thumb:

Got my lovely 32" LCD from Currys. Excellent service too.

Can't see them going to be fair considering the other companies DGS own.

SunnySideUp 18 July 2009 07:36 PM

Indeed, I am sitting looking at a 42" Plasma from Currys - and due to their hopeless customer service it cost me not one penny :D

chocolate_o_brian 18 July 2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8829343)
Indeed, I am sitting looking at a 42" Plasma from Currys - and due to their hopeless customer service it cost me not one penny :D

I dunno... what about all the time, phone calls, visits to the shop, visits to court etc. Surely they set you back a few ££ financially? :eek:

SunnySideUp 18 July 2009 08:22 PM

Time is free to myself, phone calls done at work, no visits to shop, they came to me, visit to court twice - all costs awarded to me ...... free TV - dip yer bread :D

PaulC72 18 July 2009 08:49 PM

pete for prime rib, I mean minister.

chocolate_o_brian 18 July 2009 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8829432)
Time is free to myself, phone calls done at work, no visits to shop, they came to me, visit to court twice - all costs awarded to me ...... free TV - dip yer bread :D

I'd have asked for compensation for that bloody 9,000,000 page thread :D

Did you get owt for wasting your time, general good will gesture, yadda yadda.

Infact, I should bump the thread, don't you think ;)

SunnySideUp 18 July 2009 11:14 PM

Yeah, find it and bump it .... ask how the Tv is now with a few more hours under its belt :lol1:

Deep Singh 19 July 2009 01:30 AM

I sometimes wonder whether this whole electrical retailer business model is flawed. They used to be on every high st and then moved to retail parks to cut costs and compete with interent.

But some of these retail parks are just 5-10 miles apart and the rent alone is £150k pa.

They should have just 2-3 showrooms in each major city where you can have a look at stuff, but then you order on line. Its the only way they can compete with the internet sellers

dpb 19 July 2009 09:12 AM

Never heard of them .!

richs2891 19 July 2009 10:20 AM

Homebase will be the next one going if they have not already gone.

Richard

Leslie 19 July 2009 10:53 AM

Bound to lose a few, as my instructor used to say!

Les

SunnySideUp 19 July 2009 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rsarjantson (Post 8830019)
Homebase will be the next one going if they have not already gone.

Richard

Homebase shouldn't still be trading anyway - the prices they charge are ridiculous ... even with their 10% Off and their granny days and their Special Offers they are 50% more than the competition!!!

AllanB 19 July 2009 12:14 PM

My god what a sad man you are. You seem to be rubbing your hands with glee at the thought of people loosing their jobs. Truly staggering.

AllanB

SunnySideUp 19 July 2009 12:47 PM

It's amazing that you see it that way ..... that poor businesses should thrive??

It is the way of the world that the successful are just that - in your utopia it would appear that losers are also winners ... I've got news for you, the real world ain't like that.

Timwinner 19 July 2009 01:06 PM

If its down to customer service then it would be Royal mail, I think the next national chain could be Harvester, Always seem to be dead.

darts_aint_sport 19 July 2009 01:12 PM

HMV or Argos

chocolate_o_brian 19 July 2009 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport (Post 8830335)
HMV or Argos

HMV maybe, but Argos - nah, too many fingers in too many pies. I've always found them excellent with customer service and any returns/faults etc. Plus they stock a huuuge variation of goods at good prices.

s70rjw 19 July 2009 01:17 PM

I am so pleased Allied Carpets went under. They tried to have me over and were caught out. The news of them going under made my weekend.

SunnySideUp 19 July 2009 06:06 PM

Harvester .... well, went in there on Friday - not been for many years and I was very impressed - it was packed and the menu was brilliant, it was also 6:20pm so the prices were cheaper than you can do at home!

Not sure about HMV - no experience.

It would be sad to see ARGOS go, as their Customer Service is oustanding. They deserve to stay simply because of that.

The Currys chain, however, are renowned for disgraceful treatment of customers and deserve to suffer accordingly .... their demise will allow a caring outfit to ste in their place.

What about someone like the Tie Shop? They seem ripe to go.

EddScott 19 July 2009 06:23 PM

Not really had great customer service from Argos over my knackered TV but I can't see them going.

GAME would not surprise me.

Homebase has only had a store here for about 18 months but I've heard they are on and off the ropes.

These stores like Pets At Home amaze me that they keep going. Last year I nearly blew £380 on my credit card for a particular fishtank I've been after for a while - thats before fish and all the niff naff so a good £500. Now though, I have the cash to buy it now and its reduced to £330. Not going to buy it though.

Nat 19 July 2009 06:24 PM

HMV - of course not :rolleyes:

Sales up 20% in the last few months i believe...think about why.

Deep Singh 19 July 2009 06:38 PM

Yup, hmv sales were up due to the closure of Woolworths.

Harvester should survive, they provide very good value for money food at a time when money is tight.

How about PC world?

Nat 19 July 2009 06:41 PM

Yep, and Zavvi and Fopp. - HMV have the market to themselves now they must be rubbing their hands together with glee...

PC world is DSG same as currys, dixons etc.

Coffin Dodger 20 July 2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8830782)
Harvester .... well, went in there on Friday - not been for many years and I was very impressed - it was packed and the menu was brilliant, it was also 6:20pm so the prices were cheaper than you can do at home!

Ewwww, Harvester is truly hideous, it's the pub equivalent of McDonalds. I have had the misfortune to eat in one recently and it was possibly on of the worst meals I've ever had. The salad bar is about the only saving grace, my main course was tough and over cooked but some how only lukewarm :cuckoo: The rest of it looked like it had been done in the microwave.

It may be cheap but I won't be polluting my body with that cr*p ever again. The prices are the main attraction for the great unwashed I guess.

Please don't eat in these crappy places, find a good local that does quality home cooked food and decent beer, there are many around and I'm sure they'd be glad of your business. It may be a little bit more expensive but the quality will always shine through. I far rather be helping to keep these types of places going than some faceless pub super chain that churns out microwaved lasagnes to the masses for £3.99 :(

ScooByer Trade 20 July 2009 10:17 AM

I agree with Dodger.

SJ_Skyline 20 July 2009 10:34 AM

Jessops are on borrowed time.

DSGi - maybe, although they are rebounding from a low of 19.5p

MattW 20 July 2009 11:06 AM

Homebase and Argos are the same company

Home Retail Group – Homebase

Nat 20 July 2009 11:12 AM

Def Jessops.