ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Why won't phone companies do cheap deals anymore (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/777665-why-wont-phone-companies-do-cheap-deals-anymore.html)

farmer1 13 July 2009 01:16 PM

Why won't phone companies do cheap deals anymore

Now last time I upgraded I managed to get the 5mp sony erricson on an 18 month contract for free, £20 a month 400mins and 1000txts. Rang 02 today and they want me to pay £35 a month plus 50quid for the phone on an 18 month contract or take out a 24month contract for a free phone. Grrr

mykp 13 July 2009 01:40 PM

tell em to f-off. plenty of deals to be had on other providers, shop round then phone o2, ask for disconnections, then tell me your leaving as you've got a better deal elsewhere. They should offer you a deal to stay, if they dont match what you can get else where, move provider.

gpssti4 13 July 2009 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mykp (Post 8819150)
tell em to f-off. plenty of deals to be had on other providers, shop round then phone o2, ask for disconnections, then tell me your leaving as you've got a better deal elsewhere. They should offer you a deal to stay, if they dont match what you can get else where, move provider.

+1

tanyatriangles 13 July 2009 02:06 PM

O2 are spending so much on Seen Been, or Shawn Bawn, or whatever his name is, on their adverts, they can't AFFORD to give cheap deals anymore:mad:

kingofturds 13 July 2009 02:22 PM

tell them you want to cancel, then Abra cadabra :D

STi wanna Subaru 13 July 2009 02:31 PM

I think it's the way most companies have gone with the economic climate. less sales and bigger margins. I tend to buy wine in boxes of 12 from Tesco, Laithwaites etc. Used to always be discount codes around or deals but now they're as rare as hens teeth.

farmer1 13 July 2009 02:49 PM

That was disconnections i phoned, if i want a new phone they wont let me stay on my contract unless i pay for the phone. As my phone is dead i need a new one.

My other option to get a free phone is to take out a new contract and use an o2 open code to get 30% off but even then i have to have one of these ridiculous 24 month contracts. Perhaps i'm just after an unrealistic deal.

kingofturds 13 July 2009 03:09 PM

What phone are you after? 02 blew most of their 2009 subsidy budget on the I phone

Gear Head 13 July 2009 03:16 PM

I couldn't believe it when a mate of mine told me his I-Phone was on a 24 month contract! What a muppet! Surely, it isn't that good? :wonder:

farmer1 13 July 2009 03:28 PM

SE W995

TonyBurns 13 July 2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 8819296)
What phone are you after? 02 blew most of their 2009 subsidy budget on the I phone

The I Phone isnt subsidised :( even I cant get one cheap :mad:
As for phones, all companies are doing 18/24 month contracts now so you wont have to change your phone every 12 months, and tbh £50 isnt exactly house breaking, and if your other phone is dead (insurance cover?) then its worth it.

Tony:)

PS, Palm Pre is also going to be available on O2 shortly :D

STi wanna Subaru 13 July 2009 03:36 PM

I got a 12 month contract out of Vodafone. Free SE c905, 600min anytime with stop the clock, 1000 texts and as they've messed up unlimited internet at the mo for nothing :D well £35 a month all in.

Spoon 13 July 2009 04:14 PM

I've still not caught on to why most people need the latest phone but I guess it is each to their own.

Sim only deals are excellent at the moment. I've just sweet talked a young lady at Vodafone to giving me 600 minutes and unlimited texts for £10 Month on one of my phones, normally £15.

ScoobyDoo555 13 July 2009 08:02 PM

Just sweet-talked the nice lady at Voda into the following deal for Wifey.

HCT Magic (FOC)
300mins
unlimited text
free internet access
18month contract (same as old one)
all for £25 per month

They tried all sorts of "well, it is a new phone worth xyz", and the, "you're getting for a very cheap price anyway"

Offering only 100 mins/500 txt, additional charge for internet & 24month contract + £50 for the phone.

Told them that Carphone warehouse were doing a better deal on the same phone anyway and that we were also looking at cancelling and migrating to O2 for iphones...

No ar$eyness, just made sure I had all of my facts in front of me.....

Came back within 30 seconds (of speaking with her manager) - deal done there and then.
Turns up tomorrow. :)

Just goes to show that if you're confident in what you want, you'll do OK. I DO doubt though that I'll get any deal/discount if I look at iPhone :(

At the moment, it's a toss-up between the HTC Magic & Iphone tbc........ + they'll (Voda) buy back my N95 for £130-odd :D

Will reserve judgement until I've evaluated Wifey's phone (also want to put on SatNav for her - CoPilot Live 7 looks the best)

Dan :)

hutton_d 13 July 2009 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8819396)
I've still not caught on to why most people need the latest phone but I guess it is each to their own.

Sim only deals are excellent at the moment. I've just sweet talked a young lady at Vodafone to giving me 600 minutes and unlimited texts for £10 Month on one of my phones, normally £15.

The missus got that last one. I'd bought her a phone for crimble and she saw no reason to change so a tenner a month for 600 minutes and unlimited texts was snapped up.

Dave

Boro 13 July 2009 09:17 PM

Might be that time of the month for o2. The networks go through cycles of a) needing new customers and b) needing to keep existing customers.

If you happen to contact them at the wrong time in the cycle, you either get a very good deal or a crap one. If you can afford to hang on to your current contract for a month or two, chances are things will change around.

I remember when 3 where spending alot of money retaining customers and my renewal after threatening cancellation was a drop from £30/month to £6!

Just the luck of the draw come renewal time.

Spooky Mulder 13 July 2009 09:47 PM

Most mobile companies are in a revenue phase at the moment. The market has stopped growing and so market share is less interesting to mature providers.

Revenue means they will push harder to get and keep money from you. If you are a big customer then they will try hard to keep you. Marginal customers will be let go.

Nat 13 July 2009 09:55 PM

I used to fall for the MUST GET THE LATEST PHONE EVERY YEAR bollocks too. It's pretty sad really, there's no need at all.

Now i just have a simple SE base phone that can ring people, txt and has a FM tuner. It cost me less than £5 new from one of the hgih st places. Spend £10 a month PAYG and get 300 free txts for that which does me fine.

Nat 13 July 2009 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder (Post 8820156)
Most mobile companies are in a revenue phase at the moment. The market has stopped growing and so market share is less interesting to mature providers.

Revenue means they will push harder to get and keep money from you. If you are a big customer then they will try hard to keep you. Marginal customers will be let go.

Definitely.

Used to spend £50-80 a month on Orange and they threw deals at me. Free Orange premier account, free insurance, free latest phone every year and 12 month revolving contract etc.

ScoobyDoo555 14 July 2009 07:10 AM

well fwiw, Wifey has had her current SE K770i for nearly two years (well out of contract) - hence when this new deal came up for only £25/month, it was worth doing. Plus it's one more nail in the coffin called our Landline!!!:D

Only needing it at the moment to receive calls and for broadband requirements.

Reviewing that on a monthly basis too! :D

DAn :)

cookstar 14 July 2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 8819874)
The missus got that last one. I'd bought her a phone for crimble and she saw no reason to change so a tenner a month for 600 minutes and unlimited texts was snapped up.

Dave

Have you got a link for that deal, their website "super sims" say that you get 500 texts and 100 mins a month for that.

My T-Mobile contract is up in two days. ;)

Ant 14 July 2009 09:38 AM

Orange did the same to my girlfriend . Wanted her to pay £100 for her phone.

She went to phones4you and they upgraded her to the phone she wanted with her current contract.

I asked why we can get it free from them. "because phone companies grade you how much you pay, as we don't that's why we can upgrade fir free"

farmerwrx 14 July 2009 10:12 AM

are o2 going to do the n97 in the near future ?

Spoon 14 July 2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8820570)
Have you got a link for that deal, their website "super sims" say that you get 500 texts and 100 mins a month for that.

My T-Mobile contract is up in two days. ;)

This deal has only been available for about a month and it has never been £10/Month online but £15.

I needed to speak to a person to get it dropped so I can't speak for hutton_d and how he got the deal at £10.

Here is the current deal Plans

cookstar 14 July 2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8820764)
This deal has only been available for about a month and it has never been £10/Month online but £15.

I needed to speak to a person to get it dropped so I can't speak for hutton_d and how he got the deal at £10.

Here is the current deal Plans

Thanks for that, I'll speak to them on Friday and see if I can work a deal out, sounds very good though.

Spoon 14 July 2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8820771)
Thanks for that, I'll speak to them on Friday and see if I can work a deal out, sounds very good though.

Only charm farmers need apply though. :D

cookstar 14 July 2009 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8820786)
Only charm farmers need apply though. :D

In that case I'll be gunning for £7.50. ;)

Spoon 14 July 2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8820789)
In that case I'll be gunning for £7.50. ;)

At that level it will cost you in the future when she comes knocking at your door. :thumb:

Jamescsti 14 July 2009 12:17 PM

I got a 12 monthc contract out of Vodafone last timee as well, apparantly I am a premium customer. I think unless your bill is over £40 a month they are not interested in keeping you

WRXBOB 15 July 2009 08:49 AM

400 mins and unlimited texts on 18 month contract plus free phone (I chose the Nokia 5800) for £20 per month (well the 15% vat rate equivalent) AND they paid me £40 direct into my bank account within 7 days. Works out at just over £17 per month after the cash rebate is deducted!!!