ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Help !!! Killed the Scoob ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/777227-help-killed-the-scoob.html)

TheVoices 10 July 2009 09:25 PM

Help !!! Killed the Scoob !

Advice please guys, managed to run the WRX low on oil (just don't even go there !), now have a horrible 'ratcheting / rattling' sound from the engine bay.

I take it I have managed to knacker the bottom end ?

Do I get someone to repair the current engine, if so what am I likely to have to replace ?

Do I buy a used complete engine or short motor ?

I really need to sort this ASAP as I have JGM booked on the 29th to remap it !

Beardy 10 July 2009 09:31 PM

any vids of sound?

and for peice of mind is always best to get a rebuild rather than a recon engine.

TheVoices 10 July 2009 09:35 PM

It's a very 'tinny' sounding rattle which increases with engine speed and seems to disappear when the clutch is depressed. Oil light came on but too late at that point I guess.

nick172sport 10 July 2009 09:37 PM

newage or classic

scoobyandscrappy 10 July 2009 10:07 PM

Clutch relase bearing?? if engine was knocking at wouldnt have any thing to do with the clutch, have you put some oil in it now? has the noise changed?

DARYL19810 10 July 2009 10:10 PM

i had the same thing and it turned out to be the bottom end bearings which to be honest means a rebuild.. your be better off your engine them trying to get another one

TheVoices 10 July 2009 10:16 PM

I was on a dual carriage way so had to drive gently for 2-3 miles to reach a safe place to stop.

I have added oil to the correct level and driven 10 miles to get home but the noise seems to be getting worse.

I wondered if a used low mileage 2.5 Hawkeye engine would fit ?

Might be quicker to drop in a complete engine than start pulling the current one in bits and ordering parts.

TheVoices 10 July 2009 10:17 PM

2002 WRX by the way ! (well it was when I set off for work this morning, now looking like a really expensive paperweight)

m@t STImulation 10 July 2009 10:36 PM

i have had a new engine and its not a short prosess of getting one built and then running it in. all the best good luck

mike h 10 July 2009 10:57 PM

When mine went I weighed up the options and opted for a full rebuild over a second hand lump. Costs more obviously, but you're reassured it's going to last and not let go on you a few months later.

TheVoices 10 July 2009 11:15 PM

Any idea whether the 2.5 WRX or 2.5 STi engines are a straightforward swap ? Will I need the ECU to match ?

The other option would be to locate a V7 STi engine, I take it that it will mate up with the 5 speed box and clutch from my WRX ?

GMballistic 10 July 2009 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheVoices (Post 8815241)
Any idea whether the 2.5 WRX or 2.5 STi engines are a straightforward swap ? Will I need the ECU to match ?

The other option would be to locate a V7 STi engine, I take it that it will mate up with the 5 speed box and clutch from my WRX ?

I had my engine rebuilt by API Impreza. I'd recommend them, should be able to help or point you the right way; API Engines
:thumb:

dunx 10 July 2009 11:55 PM

The game gets complex as STI's have AVCS which is ecu controlled, your WRX doesn't have this.
So ideally you would need the ecu, engine loom and some hard work to swap it all over.

May be simpler to postpone the JGM visit and re-build your engine as a forged unit.

HTH

dunx

TheVoices 11 July 2009 07:33 AM

Is AVCS the variable cam timing ?

If so I take it that a 2.0 STi engine without the feature should fit ?

M4RKG 11 July 2009 08:47 AM

Rough price of having an engine rebuilt??

DARYL19810 11 July 2009 09:09 AM

£2500 -£3000 rebuild depends who you go to
YOU COULD BUY MY WHOLE CAR NEARLY LOL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260443648510

wrxmad 11 July 2009 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 8815454)
Rough price of having an engine rebuilt??

about 3000 upwards all depends on what u want:thumb:

M4RKG 11 July 2009 09:25 AM

Jee-zaz! Was only asking so i knew what to expect if mine ever fooked, best not to think about that though I guess

TonyBurns 11 July 2009 09:25 AM

2.5 to 3k on average

Tony:)

TheVoices 11 July 2009 12:42 PM

I work for a Jaguar main agent and we just took a nice standard 2002 WRX 5 door in PX at £3100 !

By the sound of it I might as well buy it, swap the engine with my saloon and then break the estate to re-coup some of the money !

rookymatt 11 July 2009 03:06 PM

This kind of thread terrifies me! :(

harrisonl84 11 July 2009 03:46 PM

agreed rookymatt!!!!!!

Beardy 11 July 2009 06:51 PM

Not all recon engines are bad.

Mine has been good for 2years now :)

Just you can never tell, you either get a good one, or a crap one.

TheVoices 11 July 2009 10:23 PM

I have had a major league miserable day, trying to source either a used engine complete or get some idea of the cost of a rebuild.

I appreciate that the guys doing rebuilds need to charge for their time, expertise and parts, but £2500-£3000 for a bottom end rebuild is pricing themselves out of the market !

I'm probably being naive, but shouldn't this be a case of new crank or regrind the old one, new bearings and bolt it back together ?

I know that's easy for me to say but I am genuinely interested in how this one job could write off the car (ie cost as much to fix as it is worth)

Unless I've managed to knacker the pistons, rods and score the cylinder bores isn't the top half of the engine likely to be okay ?

I'm halfway tempted to say what the hell, armed with the main agent workshop manuals on CD ROM and several Jaguar master technicians, let's see what we could do with it ? The only problem with this option is that we could only work on it at weekends and need to move it out of the workshop during working hours !

If I do go down the route of a second hand engine, will the bugeye STi one fit and work okay without any major problems ?

TheVoices 11 July 2009 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by rookymatt (Post 8815915)
This kind of thread terrifies me! :(

Ditto !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheVoices 11 July 2009 10:27 PM

The Voices are also now telling me 'You should have bought the Evo, fatboy !'

nick172sport 11 July 2009 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheVoices (Post 8816636)
I have had a major league miserable day, trying to source either a used engine complete or get some idea of the cost of a rebuild.

I appreciate that the guys doing rebuilds need to charge for their time, expertise and parts, but £2500-£3000 for a bottom end rebuild is pricing themselves out of the market !

I'm probably being naive, but shouldn't this be a case of new crank or regrind the old one, new bearings and bolt it back together ?

I know that's easy for me to say but I am genuinely interested in how this one job could write off the car (ie cost as much to fix as it is worth)

Unless I've managed to knacker the pistons, rods and score the cylinder bores isn't the top half of the engine likely to be okay ?

I'm halfway tempted to say what the hell, armed with the main agent workshop manuals on CD ROM and several Jaguar master technicians, let's see what we could do with it ? The only problem with this option is that we could only work on it at weekends and need to move it out of the workshop during working hours !

If I do go down the route of a second hand engine, will the bugeye STi one fit and work okay without any major problems ?

dont think you can regrind cranks on subarus if you do it will blow up again:nono:

rookymatt 12 July 2009 12:13 AM

I dont think its the time thats the cost. subaru parts, gaskets, oils are quite expensive, not to mention uprated internals (i.e forged cranks can cost thousands!!) but there is nothing like the sound of a flat four. Voices, You will be able to rebuild the car on your own steam, workshop manuals are on the good ol' bay for a few quid! id say spend the time and get to know your car. I always feel more confident when i rebuild a component myself. (Coming from a BMW tech) I'd do exactly what you proposed earlier

I'm halfway tempted to say what the hell, armed with the main agent workshop manuals on CD ROM and several Jaguar master technicians, let's see what we could do with it ?

TheVoices 12 July 2009 12:15 AM

Well, okay even if you replace the crank and bearings I'm still struggling to comprehend £3k for the job ?

nick172sport 12 July 2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheVoices (Post 8816791)
Well, okay even if you replace the crank and bearings I'm still struggling to comprehend £3k for the job ?

iff it happened tu mine i coudnt do it skint it woukd have tu be a cheap bottom end done it once on a cosworth never again cost me my marriage:thumb: