ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   New RS - anyone driven one? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/776785-new-rs-anyone-driven-one.html)

matt-c 08 July 2009 06:11 PM

New RS - anyone driven one?

Going for a spin this coming Saturday, wondered if anyone else on here has tried one?

Obviously not looking to replace the scoob though.

beef-on-the-bone 08 July 2009 06:15 PM

am gonna look into getting a test drive in one soon :)

boxst 08 July 2009 06:52 PM

They have one is white at the local Subaru / Ford center (in Tunbridge Wells). I haven't test drove one yet, but thinking about it.

All that power through the front wheels, it is bad enough in the Focus ST ....

Steve

wrighty338 08 July 2009 07:16 PM

driven an ST but not an RS, although been in one after it was run in

just like an ST really apart from better looks + seats, but as its running soooo much boost it doesnt really take off till 4000rpm - lovely cars non the less

but i dont think MY impreza will have any bother off them ;)

YATESY 08 July 2009 07:25 PM

i took one out a few weeks since as i paid a deposit on one in april and they are really nice to drive ,, it was very smooth but the power was soon there .

im getting a green one should be here about 12th september

urabusMY94 08 July 2009 09:24 PM

Not even see one on the road yet - wonder how many have been sold? :confused:

Heard that the Ford dealers are looking for a £2.5k premium on list :rolleyes:

radboy69 09 July 2009 12:47 AM

saw a green one coming out of goole the other day, they do look real nice;)

LUCKO 09 July 2009 12:51 AM

heard the green ones have paint match problems from the factory....oh dear :D

stevie1982 09 July 2009 09:32 AM

i saw one on the m40. i spotted some bright green thing up infront so kept in the outside lane till i caught it up and i have to say they do look very nice even in that green.

also had the chance to see one at goodwood on saturday and heard it go up the hill and they sound nice to, not to sure if i would by one new for the simple depreciation that will happen but it might be one to look out for in a year or two with a years warranty left

wrighty338 09 July 2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by radboy69 (Post 8811386)

yeah thats the one iv been in, i work with him

Allan 09 July 2009 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 8811592)
also had the chance to see one at goodwood on saturday and heard it go up the hill and they sound nice

Agree, was amazed how well it sounded, assuming it was standard.

New_scooby_04 09 July 2009 02:34 PM

I'll be especially interested to have a go after test driving a Corsa VXR last weekend. That had "only" 190 bhp and similar torque and was running 18 inch rims and TBH it felt like it was being kept on a leash in the first two gears (had very over assisted steering - no doubt to disguise the steering tug) and even then, throw in a bit of rough road and some throttle and you could immediately tell the front wheels were being being asked to do a little more work than they were comfortable with.

I'm not saying I didn't like it - quite the opposite, but I am maintaining that FWD is a sub-optimal way of effectively deploying performance car outputs...not such a big deal with a little Corsa, but with an RS with 300bhp???

I reckon it'll be a very good car, but if they'd have done it properly.....

monotokpoint 09 July 2009 02:35 PM

one went past me when i was waiting at a zebra crossing. looked pretty good and sounded nice. i'm still not sold though, would rather go for an R26R, a remap and save a bit of cash personally

V555MAC 09 July 2009 07:43 PM

I wish they'd done them in orange though instead of green:thumb:

matt-c 11 July 2009 01:51 PM

Just come back from a drive, and..........

I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest, felt a bit flat compared to my 330hp STi, quite a lot of tugging at the wheel under acceleration, which is disconcerting when you are not used to it.

On the plus side, it felt well pinned to the road, nice driving position and interior.

I was glad to get back in the STi, although i was never considering it to replace that anyway that feeling is confirmed.

My view having driven the car is that it should have been a 340hp 4 wheel drive machine, but i guess Ford decided that would push the car beyond the financial reach of many people who might otherwise consider the car.

rabbos 11 July 2009 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 8815815)
Just come back from a drive, and..........

I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest, felt a bit flat compared to my 330hp STi, quite a lot of tugging at the wheel under acceleration, which is disconcerting when you are not used to it.

On the plus side, it felt well pinned to the road, nice driving position and interior.

I was glad to get back in the STi, although i was never considering it to replace that anyway that feeling is confirmed.

My view having driven the car is that it should have been a 340hp 4 wheel drive machine, but i guess Ford decided that would push the car beyond the financial reach of many people who might otherwise consider the car.

Its good to hear a balanced view rather than the usual owners who will never admit that there are flaws, and that their cash might have been better used on a different car. :thumb:

Its on top gear tomorrow, so the R26R will eclipse it again;)

paulwrxboro 13 July 2009 02:00 AM

why even compair it with the r26r ones a track car ones a fast road car, i know wich one id have.. the one with real windows and a cd player, air con, satnav, need i go on ;)

rabbos 13 July 2009 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro (Post 8818607)
why even compair it with the r26r ones a track car ones a fast road car, i know wich one id have.. the one with real windows and a cd player, air con, satnav, need i go on ;)

All the motoring press have made the comparison...

Last I heard you could drive an R26R on the road and it has air con as standard or climate control as an option. There is also the entire head unit/speaker loom in the car, so a stereo is not more than 10 mins work...

Dream Weaver 13 July 2009 09:50 AM

I just don't understand why the R26R is compared to the RS, they are bought by completely different people!! :D

One is a practical hot hatch with 4 seats, the other is a stiff semi slick shod 2 seater!! :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I really like the R26R, I thought it looked superb on TG last night and would consider one if I could live with 2 seats, harnesses and a roll cage/plastic windows, but I need a car with 4 seats, so to compare it with an RS is just plain silly, they will appeal to two different groups of people so the normal Megane should be the one compared.

codie247 13 July 2009 10:07 AM

Focus looked really good on TG. Looked v nice in white, even the Mrs liked it. The only thing im not sure of is the height at which you can lift the back wheel while cornering!! Not saying good or bad, as i have no experience of it, but is this a good thing? Ha i thought it was gonna roll at one point!!

Lee

jeremy 13 July 2009 06:17 PM

"I was glad to get back in the STi, although i was never considering it to replace that anyway that feeling is confirmed.

My view having driven the car is that it should have been a 340hp 4 wheel drive machine, but i guess Ford decided that would push the car beyond the financial reach of many people who might otherwise consider the car."

And to think that at the RS's intro Jost had the audacity to say that a 4WD system for the RS would actually make it a poorer handling and less fun car to drive, going even further saying 4wd is pretty UNnecessary. Marketing is this cool little language that some people learn and once they believe in it, anything can be made true-- its like modern art...You see that black box over there its an original constructed by X and its a steal at 2 million! J

paulwrxboro 13 July 2009 11:24 PM

the RS is a fantastic car
it is a great car to drive
it is fast
it is fun to drive
it has unreal grip for a two wheel drive (see clarkson)
it sounds awsome as good as the scooby rummble and as adictive, i never bother with the radio
it looks great
it gets the atention of a supercar (is that good or bad ?)

anybody who buys one wont be disapointed iv not heard any major complaints
i love mine :)
focus037.jpg picture by nick-ant - Photobucket

Janspeed 14 July 2009 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro (Post 8820393)
it is fast
it is fun to drive
it sounds awsome as good as the scooby rummble and as adictive, i never bother with the radio
it looks great

We surrender!!! :D;)

paulwrxboro 14 July 2009 12:22 AM

but im not done yet :)
i can stay here allllll night :)

Janspeed 14 July 2009 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro (Post 8820490)
but im not done yet :)
i can stay here allllll night :)

Ok, then we will just chop you up and bury you in plastic bags!! :D

^Qwerty^ 14 July 2009 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by radboy69 (Post 8811386)

Caught one in Market Place in Howden a couple of weekends ago, and seen another one in Goole too.

Spec'c'57 16 July 2009 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro (Post 8820393)
it is fast
it is fun to drive
it looks great

I have found a cancelled order. :eek: wonder if the wife is gonna let me tho. :norty:

MrLouKnee 16 July 2009 07:22 PM

the RS might be the best car in the world but its a hatch back and by definition its for girls :thumb:

paulwrxboro 16 July 2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57 (Post 8825515)
I have found a cancelled order. :eek: wonder if the wife is gonna let me tho. :norty:

dont tell her ;)

mine fell in love with it when she seen it ...i was lucky :)

sti69 16 July 2009 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro (Post 8825759)
dont tell her ;)

mine fell in love with it when she seen it ...i was lucky :)

Hi Paul, ive seen your car around Eston twice now, if it is you then i'll give ya scooby wave for old time sake lol!!!

By the way ive got an silver STi v4 with v6 boot spoiler :thumb:

Regards
Paul.