ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   purplera1n - iPhone 3GS Jailbreak (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/776251-purplera1n-iphone-3gs-jailbreak.html)

Markus 06 July 2009 03:10 AM

purplera1n - iPhone 3GS Jailbreak

If anyone has an iPhone 3GS and want's to Jailbreak it, Geohot has come to the rescue and along with help from a few others he has released purplera1n.

This post on his blog explains what you need to do with purplera1n, basically, run the app on your computer (make sure iPhone is connected) once it's done it's thing, run the "Freeze" app on the iPhone, there should be an "Install Cydia" button, click it to install Cydia, wait while it downloads it, then use Cydia to download other apps.

I've just used the mac version and it seems to work, as in, I've got Cydia running.

Things I've noticed? Well, once you have run freeze and clicked "install cydia" when it says it's finished you should reboot the phone, then Cydia should appear on the list of apps. When you run it for the first time it will take a while to load, it'll say something like "Reorganizing" and it'll auto-close afterwards. If you run it again it will probably notice there are a few updates, so let it update and then run it again and you should be good to go :)

NOTE
One other thing you should/must do, which is not overly apparent is to get your purplera1nyday file.

Info on how to do this can be found here.

The box on the purplera1n page to enter it is somewhat obscure to say the least :D it's just under the Windows and Apple logos, pop in you ECID, press return and it'll download a file for you.

You may also want to have a look at this tutorial for getting your iBEC and iBSS files. This should be done BEFORE upgrading to any new firmware that Apple releases.

Ant 06 July 2009 10:35 AM

My dad did his yesterday on vista worked a treat. And he's not very computer literate either

Ant 06 July 2009 11:42 AM

Scrap that i've just spoke to him and he had to restore.

Kept crashing and booting in safe mode and taken a long time to boot up.

spectrum48k 06 July 2009 01:44 PM

Anyone tell me how delete icons on the desktop ? eg. I've installed a few apps and want to uninstall them now.

boxst 06 July 2009 02:21 PM

If you've installed them from Cydia, you can uninstall from manage packages.

In general, hold your finger on the screen for a couple of seconds and all the icons jiggle about with a 'x' to delete by the side.

Steve

Markus 06 July 2009 02:57 PM

Note that some of them cannot be deleted, for example; Weather, Stocks, Settings, etc.

Markus 08 July 2009 05:10 PM

a bump as I have edited the original post to include a note about obtaining the purplera1nyday / iBSS / iBEC files which are rumored to be required for any future jailbreaks once Apple releases a new firmware update.

Markus 14 July 2009 01:17 PM

a little bump to add a link to my thread on purplesn0w which is the unlock for the iPhone 3GS.

w13dle 15 July 2009 07:48 PM

hi does itunes need to be running when you run the purplera1n? cheers:wonder:

JackClark 15 July 2009 08:02 PM

I'd avoid Purplera1n now that UtraSn0w has been updated, just read something about it's alarming baseband memory use, can't be good.

Dev-Team Blog

spectrum48k 15 July 2009 08:20 PM

I haven't thought of a good enough reason to jailbreak mine. I really don't have the need.

w13dle 15 July 2009 08:38 PM

im abit confused now so which jb are people running with the 3gs? i cant seem to get purplera1n to do alot i click on the icon & it goes into recovery mode then nothing happens from there,can anybody point me in the right direction operating system is vista? thanks

Markus 15 July 2009 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 8823583)
I'd avoid Purplera1n now that UtraSn0w has been updated, just read something about it's alarming baseband memory use, can't be good.

Dev-Team Blog

Jack, do you mean purplesn0w (the unlock) or purplera1n (the jailbreak)? Got a link to where you've read this as I don't see a mention of this on the main dev team site, unless it's in the comments to the latest post.

Markus 15 July 2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by w13dle (Post 8823653)
im abit confused now so which jb are people running with the 3gs? i cant seem to get purplera1n to do alot i click on the icon & it goes into recovery mode then nothing happens from there,can anybody point me in the right direction operating system is vista? thanks

Have a read of this article on how to jailbreak using purplera1n on windows.

Markus 15 July 2009 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 8823616)
I haven't thought of a good enough reason to jailbreak mine. I really don't have the need.

I'm in somewhat the same situation, I've done it mainly so I can see if there is anything decent that can be put on the phone, and there isn't too much really.

If you needed to unlock then I could see how jailbreaking would be of use, but that's not something I need.

I'll probably put it back to normal at somepoint.

JackClark 15 July 2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 8823836)
Jack, do you mean purplesn0w (the unlock) or purplera1n (the jailbreak)? Got a link to where you've read this as I don't see a mention of this on the main dev team site, unless it's in the comments to the latest post.

The unlock, it's apparently quite dirty. I read it on Twitter, most of the Dev team are on there.

Markus 16 July 2009 12:48 AM

Thanks for that, I should add them to twitter

JackClark 16 July 2009 08:53 AM

The blog has been updated with this info now Dev-Team Blog - Winter Tires