ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Black rags on the rear of cars! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/776017-black-rags-on-the-rear-of-cars.html)

billyray911 04 July 2009 07:57 PM

Black rags on the rear of cars!

Had a chat with a bloke today who was enraged that he had seen a taxi driving through Birmingham with two black rags tied to the rear of the car(where those anti-static strips are sometimes attached).
Gotta say,i had no idea where this has come from,but he seemed to think that it was a symbol for either pro terrorism or anti uk/us troops in Iraq.
Cant find anything on the 'net,so it may be a load of rubbish.Anybody heard of the same and if so,where did it originate?.
This isn't a subtle anti muslim or hate thread,i'm just interested,so please dont hijack it as such:thumb:

deangtiuk 04 July 2009 08:16 PM

Usually asian people use these cloths on hanging of the rear of cars to "rid the car of evil spirits" usually see them on rear toe eyes. Thats what i've been told.

Jamz3k 04 July 2009 08:27 PM

i'd be more worried if their was rag-heads in the car:lol1:

Jer 04 July 2009 09:03 PM

Did they not use black flags on new cars years ago to indicate they were running them in?

Alg 04 July 2009 09:11 PM

Black Rag | Karachi Metblogs
"The black rag is the symbol for a notorious street gang, BLACK RAGS. They associate with Top Notch Association and the Westside Indies. Don’t mess with them. They accept alot of white boys so you never know who’s rollin with them. They are a very violent gang who believe in selling drugs and gaining respect by any means necessary."
lol

billyray911 04 July 2009 09:45 PM

Cheers,think its either been hijacked for some other meaning recently or its an old wifes tale circulated around the local pubs:thumb:

corradoboy 04 July 2009 09:57 PM

People from ethnic minorities are allowed to be racist anyway aren't they, it's just us whitey's who get in trouble for that ?

tarmac terror 04 July 2009 10:05 PM

I had the misfortune to have to visit Coventry on business last month, and flew into Birmingham airport. The taxi driver (white english gentleman) was telling me that the white taxi drivers were being harrassed and physically assaulted by the imported taxi drivers working from the airport. There was some change in the contract in terms of who can pick up passengers from the airport, his explanation was that there was a plot emerging to push white taxi drivers out of business. He told me he used to be worried about picking up some passengers in certain areas at certain times of day, but he was now in fear of these imported taxi drivers, to the extent he felt the need to carry some items in the front of the taxi to protect himself.

As for the black rags - no idea.

jonny_693 04 July 2009 10:41 PM

A white taxi driver, dont get many those round 'ere.

corradoboy 04 July 2009 11:58 PM

If you don't like that fact, you don't have to get in their taxi's, or use their shops, food outlets etc.

jonny_693 05 July 2009 12:05 AM

Huh?

Nat 05 July 2009 12:05 AM

^^^ There isn't any choice a lot of the time. Find a shop or Taxi or takeaway owned/staffed by English/White people and you'll be very lucky.

They have all be pushed/intimidated out by Pakistani's.

On thur night i got back from Blur gig in London to Oxford (Bastion of whites and posh folk) and not one of the 10 odd Black cabs/Taxi's at the rank would take me to my village with the meter on. They all demanded £20 up front. None of them would use the meter. Absolute scum. The White drivers will not work at night now in most towns/cities as they get too much abuse and intimidation.

jonny_693 05 July 2009 12:16 AM

Precisely. So yes, if you want to get home after 10 pints without getting a bus or driving you do have to use 'Their' taxis.

ScoobyDriverWannabe 05 July 2009 01:56 AM

Means their fellow ethnics so don't crash into them if your doing a insurance scam as they probably don't have insurance.

fatscoobfella1 05 July 2009 09:21 AM

The black rags are something to do with wanting a united black britain,the warding off spirits stuff is pish..

There is a lot of cars in brum with the black rags on...Not really seen it very much elsewhere,maybe the odd one in Manchester..

eggy790 05 July 2009 09:30 AM

lol being brought up in bradford, the black rags/cloths tied to the rear of car, (usually black coloured cars) are there to ward off spirits and the evil eye, never heard of any of the other reasons above. and ive got relatives in both brum and bradford

tanyatriangles 05 July 2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8803073)
^

On thur night i got back from Blur gig in London to Oxford (Bastion of whites and posh folk) and not one of the 10 odd Black cabs/Taxi's at the rank would take me to my village with the meter on. They all demanded £20 up front. None of them would use the meter. Absolute scum.

Make a note of the Hackney license numbers on the rear of the cabs, plus their reg numbers, make an official complaint to the local council licensing office the next day. It's an offence under law to do what they are doing;)

The more complaints, the more chance of stopping the scum. Their companies WILL take it seriously, they have to renew an overall license and stand to lose it if there are too many complaints.

Jye 05 July 2009 09:58 AM

:thumb:

Funkii Munkii 05 July 2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe (Post 8803231)
Means their fellow ethnics so don't crash into them if your doing a insurance scam as they probably don't have insurance.

PMSL, but sadly probably true :eek:

Nat 05 July 2009 01:19 PM

Well i'm going to Madonna in a bit and if i get back at 1am again and the cabbies are all being 20 quid up front dicks again i will be down the council tomorrow with their numbers...

ScoobyDriverWannabe 05 July 2009 02:02 PM

Regarding the Taxis.

I think 99% of the cab drivers up here are white English. Theres allot often wont let you in the car without handing over £40 on an evening if you have had a drink. Its more of a deposit than the fare in case you puke.

Never came across them deciding the price beforehand & not turning the meter on. Although cabs I have used in Newcastle didn't have meters. They had a laminated chart with prices on. It was more like bus fares with different tariffs for diff times of the day, no money was taken until the destination was reached though.

GlesgaKiss 05 July 2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8803073)
^^^ There isn't any choice a lot of the time. Find a shop or Taxi or takeaway owned/staffed by English/White people and you'll be very lucky.

They have all be pushed/intimidated out by Pakistani's.

On thur night i got back from Blur gig in London to Oxford (Bastion of whites and posh folk) and not one of the 10 odd Black cabs/Taxi's at the rank would take me to my village with the meter on. They all demanded £20 up front. None of them would use the meter. Absolute scum. The White drivers will not work at night now in most towns/cities as they get too much abuse and intimidation.

Didn't have any idea things were like that. :(

Hysteria1983 05 July 2009 10:21 PM

It is an old superstition with ALL drivers.

It was once used to inform other road users that the car was new and being 'ran in' so other people don't give you jip up your ass end and hammering on the horn and other general 'move out of the way you old grandad in your BRAND NEW nissan cherry... get out of my fecking way'!!!

It is also used to some people as a way to warn off the 'evil eye' spirit. The black cloth makes the NEW CAR look less perfect making the evil spirit look elsewhere to cast its bad luck.
It really is that simple.

Bubba po 05 July 2009 10:28 PM

It doesn't matter if it's an hour, a week, or three years... a SIAL is a SIAL. :D

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ack-cloth.html

Bubba po 05 July 2009 10:40 PM

Aaaah... those were the days when you used to be able to call someone a cock-hungry slut or a one-dimensional fecker without getting infracted. :D

Chip Sengravy was still alive, too. :(

Hysteria1983 05 July 2009 10:50 PM

Read it all.... :-) lol.

StickyMicky 06 July 2009 07:21 AM

Behead all taxi drivers

jonny_693 06 July 2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 8804694)
It doesn't matter if it's an hour, a week, or three years... a SIAL is a SIAL. :D

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ack-cloth.html

F*ckin Hell :lol:

urban 06 July 2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 8802862)
I had the misfortune to have to visit Coventry on business last month, and flew into Birmingham airport. The taxi driver (white english gentleman) was telling me that the white taxi drivers were being harrassed and physically assaulted by the imported taxi drivers working from the airport. There was some change in the contract in terms of who can pick up passengers from the airport, his explanation was that there was a plot emerging to push white taxi drivers out of business. He told me he used to be worried about picking up some passengers in certain areas at certain times of day, but he was now in fear of these imported taxi drivers, to the extent he felt the need to carry some items in the front of the taxi to protect himself.

As for the black rags - no idea.

Coventry is a real sh1thole of a place.
We have a couple of customers there that I have to visit.

Never had to get a taxi though, they've always driven me to and from Birmingham airport.

Last time I was there an indian boy in a bus at the airport drove into me :eek:
Was only a bit of a nudge mind you, but still......

Hysteria1983 06 July 2009 11:07 AM

Thats one good thing about having kids, they stop me going out so I can't remember the last time I even went in a taxi!