ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   new age ecu on classic (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/775596-new-age-ecu-on-classic.html)

p1u 02 July 2009 12:57 PM

new age ecu on classic

has anyone fitted a new age ecu to a classic so you can remp it.
p1u

p1u 02 July 2009 01:11 PM

what age did the ecus start from that are programmable from the obd2 port

joey_turbo 02 July 2009 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by p1u (Post 8798720)
what age did the ecus start from that are programmable from the obd2 port

I doubt if anyone has fitted a newage to classic. I'm sure there are too many differences for it to work.

TonyBurns 02 July 2009 02:00 PM

Not compatable.

Tony:)

p1u 02 July 2009 03:00 PM

do you think its possible to match all the wires up to the sensors as the engines are the same as the new age. just make a loom convertor and put the obd2 plug on the convertor.
p1u

joey_turbo 02 July 2009 03:05 PM

If it could be done, its certainly would have been by now.
I'm assuming you have a 96-98 car, if so the ECU options are not great. Its either a chipped daughter board or an aftermarket ECU.

p1u 02 July 2009 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 8798883)
If it could be done, its certainly would have been by now.
I'm assuming you have a 96-98 car, if so the ECU options are not great. Its either a chipped daughter board or an aftermarket ECU.

i have a chip and was just thinking of a cheap way to get a bit more power.
ive got someone looking into it now iam droping a ecu off to him later. so ill see what he comes up with.
p1u

Splitpin 02 July 2009 04:13 PM

Contrary to the blank "can't be done" answers you've already had, it is theoretically possible. However, you're wrong to say that the "engines are the same", there are detail differences - for example the multiple lambda sensors on the newage cars, electrical differences in the other sensors, AVCS on the STis, the immobiliser, so-on and so-forth.

It definitely can be done. However, it is not simply a case of making an adapter loom and plugging it in. The physical/electrical part of the conversion would require a deal of time, effort and expense, and then you would need a mapper to come in and set it up.

Once you accept all that, the calculation you have to make is whether the costs of getting it all to work is worth what you end up with, or whether you'll get better return on investment going for, for example, an off the shelf programmable ECU from the outset.

If you're looking for a "cheap way to get more power", this isn't it.

TonyBurns 02 July 2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Splitpin (Post 8798988)
Contrary to the blank "can't be done" answers you've already had, it is theoretically possible

So does that mean "not compatable" means it cant be done? or its "not compatable"? ;)

Tony:)

Splitpin 02 July 2009 04:27 PM

Big feck-off turbos are "not compatible" with the Impreza, until they're made so. It's all, as illustrated above, a question of whether the return on investment justifies doing it. ;)

It has been done, btw. Although the car I'm aware of received an entire newage STi twinscroll engine so the circumstances are a little different to the OP's.

bludgod 04 February 2015 11:41 PM

bit of a thread revival here I know but I found this thread whilst I was on the google and thought I'd add a bit of first had experience.

I would say yes this is very possible, having recently mapped a 2002 bugeye WRX fitted with a v5 JDM STI engine and it goes rather well.

To make it work, all the sensors were used from the WRX. We originally tried the sidefeed STI injectors but only as a stop gap until a suitable plate could be made to fit the original WRX manifold and newage STI pinks.

As it's already been said though, I would be sure the cost would outweigh the gains unless you came across all the needed donor parts at giveaway prices.

Still it was good crack :) apologies to everyone subscribed who will now have got a thread revival bump