ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Which after-market ECU? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/775492-which-after-market-ecu.html)

ScaldedCat 01 July 2009 07:43 PM

Which after-market ECU?

I'm torn between three different after-market ECUs for my '99 UK Classic.

1. Apexi PowerFC
2. Ecutek
3. Simtek

Because...

The Apexi has always had good reviews, and most people I know who have installed them have all been pleased.

The Ecutek is the cheapest and apparently does everything I need it to do (almost).

The Simtek because it removes the need for the MAF, plus (if I buy the bolt-on) I'm a bit partial to the strip at Santa Pod, so the launch control feature may come in handy. :)

I've only started modifying the car recently and have no plans for big horsepower or anything, just an ECU that gives drivability and power improvements without going OTT.

What do you think/recommend?

stevebt 01 July 2009 07:50 PM

I used to have an apexi on my old 99uk car and it was great but if the maf fails there is no warning whereas the ecutek will retard the ecu keeping the car safe, but I would go with the mafless ECU as the maf's are forever going on this year vehicle :)

projectsubaru 01 July 2009 08:15 PM

What about the Solaris on a classic been hearing good things about them :)

ScaldedCat 02 July 2009 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by projectsubaru (Post 8797632)
What about the Solaris on a classic been hearing good things about them :)

It's slightly out of my price range, but I've heard they're very good.

New_scooby_04 02 July 2009 09:08 AM

Simtek, no question.

Do a search for the review I submited.

Ns04

ScaldedCat 02 July 2009 10:23 PM

Okay, it's looking like the Simtek has come out on top (I can't find Ns04's review though!).

Talking to a mate tonight - who has one on his Legacy - tipped the scales! :)

Jolly Green Monster 03 July 2009 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 8797570)
I used to have an apexi on my old 99uk car and it was great but if the maf fails there is no warning whereas the ecutek will retard the ecu keeping the car safe, but I would go with the mafless ECU as the maf's are forever going on this year vehicle :)

unfortunatly it won't keep the car safe :( the maf gets worse and worse and the ecu cannot pull enough timing.. the Apexi actually usually just runs like a dog when the maf fails without causing damage.

Simon

Jolly Green Monster 03 July 2009 12:17 AM

The Apexi is slowly becoming less of an option unless you can find a secondhand one as they are expensive when available due to exchange rate and slow down in production.

SimTek wins hands down.. but EcuTek does suit many peoples needs.

Simon

New_scooby_04 03 July 2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by UKSC (Post 8799677)
Okay, it's looking like the Simtek has come out on top (I can't find Ns04's review though!).

Talking to a mate tonight - who has one on his Legacy - tipped the scales! :)

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...imtek-ecu.html

EJ22 LAD 04 July 2009 09:19 AM

HYDRA NEMESIS IS MAFLESS:thumb:

Neil XR 04 July 2009 09:34 AM

an old link ecu is mafless, running a link on my terzo, no problims at all

dazdavies 04 July 2009 09:46 AM

Considering what you've said here and what your goals are it has to be the Simtek.

The only things that better it are the Solaris and a Motec

stevebt 04 July 2009 10:01 AM

I would say an ecu remap is dead money as there is no resale value.

Antony@indigo-gt 04 July 2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by EJ22 LAD (Post 8801863)
HYDRA NEMESIS IS MAFLESS:thumb:

And they are very very good, one of the few aftermarket ECU's with active knock control.

dynamix 04 July 2009 12:09 PM

Awful software though.

Antony@indigo-gt 04 July 2009 12:12 PM

I find it OK tbh, been doing them for a while now.

dynamix 05 July 2009 07:47 AM

IIRC you couldnt select multiple cells in the maps, it wouldnt interpolate for you and it was very clunky.

I was looking at hydra towards the end of last year as Shaun seems to get on well with it, but as I map my car myself the software put me off.

Solaris is in there now and from a mapping and set up point of view it is awesome. Ok it is is a little more expensive on the classic (not especially on the newage) but the flexibility of having 8 map settings to change through makes it great for multi-purpose vehicles such as those that do road and track. Knock control is pretty worthwhile too :D