ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   550 bhp on a sti newage (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/774684-550-bhp-on-a-sti-newage.html)

scoobzie 27 June 2009 11:40 AM

550 bhp on a sti newage

i, am looking for the best option on this with reduced lag etc. what would be option ie. engine wise 2.5, 2,35 or just stick with the standard 2 litre i am just looking for a good base to start with:notworthy

banny sti 27 June 2009 11:43 AM

2 litre is out of the question as it will be too laggy on the road, I would advise you to speak to Pennine subaru as he can build a 2.5 or a 2.35 so best to discuss your requirements with them.

Banny

dunx 27 June 2009 11:52 AM

Why 550 bhp ?

A torquey 2.5 will make a fine road car, even in standard form.
What are you doing with the car to need all that power ?

Just wondering.

dunx

JP4 27 June 2009 11:56 AM

New Age Sti with the VVT heads is a good start. A Chy (Pennine Subaru) 2.5 or 2.35 closed deck block should do the job using a good spooling up turbo.

Going 550 may point towards a rotated set up (more costly) so any reason why you want 550 and not say 500 which you could get away with standard position turbo?

Mus 27 June 2009 12:03 PM

you can still get 550 or there about on standard position ask dynamix or martyn J from engine tuner. they both run over 500 on a near enough standard position turbo. i think dynamix uses some jungle juice form morrison though lol

uk300scoob 27 June 2009 12:08 PM

is this for the road or track? if road use why do you want 550bhp for the road

scoobzie 27 June 2009 12:22 PM

its for the 1/4 mile guys am looking to do this and add a 5 speed ppg gearset thats the power i want and the gearbox setup i am after but just want the best way to make use of the power ie. size of engine:thumb:

banny sti 27 June 2009 12:24 PM

For the strip I would be leaning towards the 2.35 due to its revvy nature.

Banny

JP4 27 June 2009 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by scoobzie (Post 8790177)
its for the 1/4 mile guys am looking to do this and add a 5 speed ppg gearset thats the power i want and the gearbox setup i am after but just want the best way to make use of the power ie. size of engine:thumb:

Personally the way I would go abouts is thinking on how much you have to spend as at this power level it certainly is not cheap.

Once you have an idea of the dosh you want to put in this build then it is a case of approaching 2/3 tuning firms and seeing what options you are given with the end product/benefit. Think about the purpose and longevity of your build too.

Its all good saying this and that but if you cannot afford it then no point going down that road.

Also speak to a few members on here who are running at that power level i.e. Stevebt, Madhammer, Banny (experience on mods) and see what they've been through and if there are any tips they can give you.

:thumb:

scoobzie 27 June 2009 12:46 PM

the build will be about the same as andy,fs my02 sti ra as for money it,s not a case of how much you got it,s a case of however long it takes am in no rush i,am not out to runn big figures or impress anyone with this the end result will be worth it thanx for the replies

TonyBurns 27 June 2009 02:32 PM

Why a 5 speed ppg setup? Apart from you will be replacing it every other week when it breaks! The 6 speed is better for the job (just ask shaun, stevebt etc), and it won't be a cheap build (go to the technical area and read up about the scoobynet spec c) and I hope you understand the costs here, it won't be cheap for reliability at that level, start at 20k and add on from there!

Tony:)

andy97 27 June 2009 02:48 PM

Why dont you use a classic shape. Less power required to achieve same results of a newage, and will be cheaper in cost too.

scoobzie 27 June 2009 05:44 PM

i just got rid of a classic to do this i like the classic but a newage is something else that not many people are trying to get massive power with its all classics you hear about i say roll with the times

Aztec Performance Ltd 27 June 2009 06:02 PM

If it's drag racing you are interested in I would rather aim for a xx time bracket and spec from there.

There are some 550bhp builds out there that just ain't all that quick.

Speak to someone like Andy.F or Zen who will have lots of experience in that field and will know what works and what doesn't.

scoobzie 27 June 2009 07:14 PM

if i can get 10.second 1/4 mile then i am happy with that i got a bugeye sti pick it up friday then the fun begins am going for 460/470 with the 2.0 litre and see how i get on with that but i dont think it will do

Shaun 27 June 2009 08:21 PM

Can be done several ways and it all depends on how you want it to drive and what your main purpose is. 2.1, 2.35, 2.5. Standard compression, high compression, NOS, race fuel, standard position and rotated mount turbo. The list is endless and so is the potential costs!!!

A 10sec newage is not a particulary cheap project.

It is not easy to acheive.

stevebt 27 June 2009 09:30 PM

If you want a 10 second newage I think you need to spends lots of cash and it will have to be over 600bhp! Me and shaun have both found out that ours cars didn't make what we wanted but after a bit more time and more £££ we are both nearly where we want to be :) As for not many newages running big power I'm sure there is quite a few :) I loved my 2ltr engine when it was running around 480bhp as it was laggy till say 4000rpm then all hell broke loose as it jumped about 300bhp in 500rpm :D

TonyBurns 27 June 2009 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 8790853)
Me and shaun have both found out that ours cars didn't make what we wanted but after a bit more time and more £££ we are both nearly where we want to be :)

Is that skint but happy? :D

Tony:D

stevebt 27 June 2009 11:12 PM

Tony, hopefully I will be happy when I pick my car up next week and the bhp starts with a 6 :D

TonyBurns 27 June 2009 11:15 PM

:eek::D

Tony:D

scoobzie 28 June 2009 02:03 PM

is this a usable power on the the road or would i be best 2 have a low and high boost setting

stevebt 28 June 2009 03:31 PM

The power is very easy to use on the road. Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about it being too much :) If I had a low boost setting I doubt I would ever use it. If you want to abuse the power though it can be a handfull at the wrong time on the road :)

Shaun 28 June 2009 06:20 PM

Steve,
You can not use 500bhp in a scoob on the road effectively and certainly not easily. You will only use a proportion of that on the road. Unless you are referring to gay straightline stuff. ;)

It is not all about power figures though..... response and lowdown driveability (for road use) are more important. A car with more lowdown response, sharpness and overall driveabilty will certainly be quicker on the road.

Either you need to get an engine set-up that is more responsive or you need to actually stop driving around in 1st gear, limited to 4000rpm. ;)

Scoobzie,
I have multiple map settings and one of those is for low boost (1.45bar - over 485bhp at the fly). I very rarely have to use anything else for the road..... it is a waste of time in reality.

stealthy55 28 June 2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 8791948)
Steve,
You can not use 500bhp in a scoob on the road effectively and certainly not easily. You will only use a proportion of that on the road. Unless you are referring to gay straightline stuff. ;)

It is not all about power figures though..... response and lowdown driveability (for road use) are more important. A car with more lowdown response, sharpness and overall driveabilty will certainly be quicker on the road.

Either you need to get an engine set-up that is more responsive or you need to actually stop driving around in 1st gear, limited to 4000rpm. ;)

Scoobzie,
I have multiple map settings and one of those is for low boost (1.45bar - over 485bhp at the fly). I very rarely have to use anything else for the road..... it is a waste of time in reality.

i think you forgot to mention the handling side of things but there again would you know?:D

boltonelectrical 28 June 2009 07:10 PM

If you speak to the guys at AREA 52 they can build you what ever you want.

stealthy55 28 June 2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by boltonelectrical (Post 8792035)
If you speak to the guys at AREA 52 they can build you what ever you want.

really? new or used?

scoobzie 28 June 2009 08:07 PM

i will just go for a md321h setup with supporting mods and see how i get on thanx for the replies

stevebt 28 June 2009 08:48 PM

MD321h??? thats just over 400bhp ! Thats a massive decrease in what you wanted :)

Shaun I still do think that 500bhp and over isn't too much :) plus I don't have any gay low boost settings ;)

stevebt 28 June 2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 8791948)

It is not all about power figures

So how many rolling roads have you done then shaun??? To the nearest 100 will do :)

Shaun 28 June 2009 09:30 PM

scoobzie,
That's a bit different from 550bhp! :D

Sounds like a good move though, powerwise. :)

stevebt,
Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that you USE all 500bhp on the road in your Scoob and you think it is no sweat and easy and you don't see what all the fuss is about?

If that is so, based on your engine build..... I suggest you need to get a better engine built.

You don't need any low boost..... your power is as flat as a witches tit till over 4000rpm. :D Some of us have real punch lowdown and rev past 8k you know. :D