ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Portable Jump Starters (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/774126-portable-jump-starters.html)

Molds 24 June 2009 02:59 PM

Portable Jump Starters

Anyone have a recommendation/experience of a portable jump starter? My battery is always flat (I only drive the Scoob about 500 miles a year!) and I get fed up with the PITA of taking the battery out to charge. Thought I might get myself a portable jumper instead but there are quite a few to choose from and some reviews seem to imply many dont work well on medium/large cars...

Cheers

Molds

scooby-tc 24 June 2009 03:03 PM

Your battery is probably knackered if its forever flat.I'd get a new one and a good trickle charger rather than jumping it all the time.I bought a jump starter from halfords 3 years ago and its been fantastic (still going strong now) and it was only something silly like £39.99

stiler83 24 June 2009 03:07 PM

You could get yourself one of these. I have one connected to my kitcar, very good.

Find the right battery charger - MULTI XS 3600

Molds 24 June 2009 03:19 PM

My last battery suffered because I used the car so rarely it went flat, got jumped/or charged then left to go flat again. This one is a Lucas warranty replacement for it and is less than a year old but again my treatment of it has likely killed it. Its not really worth me shelling out for another because I am likely to do the same again which is why I thought a portable jumper might be a better answer. A trickle charger would be OK but my garage is not next to the house and I really cant be ar$ed with taking the battery out/putting back in anymore.

Cheers!

spender(again) 24 June 2009 03:38 PM

Solar powered charger?

MrJim 24 June 2009 03:40 PM

i always carry a jump starter great buy worth the £40 quid used it several times .

N_Scooby 24 June 2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by spender(again) (Post 8784177)
Solar powered charger?

I've a cheap ebay solar trickle charger on my boat. Works spot on :thumb::thumb:

Turbotits 26 June 2009 10:02 AM

The taskmaster one is excellent although on the expensive side. I use one every day in my job and have been using the same one for 3 or more years. It also holds its charge very well when it hasnt been used or charged for a while which the cheaper ones dont.

Molds 26 June 2009 01:41 PM

Thanks Turbotits thats the kind of response I was looking for.

Molds 26 June 2009 01:56 PM

Does anyone know what cranking amps the Scoob requires? Mines a UK MY98. Cheers

Molds 29 June 2009 01:27 PM

Any other recommendations?

FLAT ERIC 29 June 2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Molds (Post 8793119)
Any other recommendations?

I've got the Halfords Power Pack 100 with Compressor which can handle starting up to 2.5 litre engines.

Halfords Power Pack 100 with Compressor from Halfords Price £69.99

It's dearer than a stand alone power pack but has so many more uses than just a starter pack. There's a strip light & compressor for tyre problems & a cigarette outlet to power stuff at events (mini fridge or phone charger etc).

Since getting the power pack I got one of these trickle chargers as well. I think it is more sympathetic to the battery & circuitry than a full on jump.

Solar-Powered 12V 1.5W Battery Trickle Charger > Maplin

Be aware that if your cigarette lighter socket is not still live with the ignition key removed (mine isn't) you need to connect via the battery terminals & the crocodile clips supplied.

Molds 29 June 2009 04:28 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply FE.

HT04 29 June 2009 05:37 PM

i am in the same boat as the op. i rearely use my scooby as many of you know. about the same miles as the op. but i start the car every week or so if i can. i have a jump pack from a company called clarke. ive had it for about five years and it has never let me down. it last months on a full charge and it has started many cars with batterys that are very very dead. i got it from costco quite cheap but they are still avaliable. awesome piece of kit. :thumb:

same as this.

Clarke Jump Start 900 - Machine Mart

dan