ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Front Door Speakers (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/773441-front-door-speakers.html)

FauxSTi 21 June 2009 08:53 AM

Front Door Speakers

I've read the FAQ thread, and used the search, but still a little confused. Some people are saying 5.25"-13cm and others are saying 6.1/2"-16cm.

I went and bought a pair of MB Quart and the sales guy gave me the 13cm, but I realised when I got back home that the sales guy I'd spoken to previously had recommended the 16cm (had it written on a bit of paper).

Looking at the spacers on eBay etc they say the spacers are for 13cm, but everyone that makes their own spacers say they fitted 16cm. So should I take these back and change for the bigger ones or just fit these? Is there a big difference in sound from the 13cm to the 16cm?

steve nic 21 June 2009 10:10 AM

the bigger the cone the more power it can handle and will not distort as much,yes get the larger speaker and have a go at making some collars from mdf,you wont regret it

FauxSTi 21 June 2009 11:47 AM

Cheers for the advice, probably telling me what I already knew but it's good tro hear it confirmed, I'll swap them tomorrow.

BoozyDave 04 July 2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by steve nic (Post 8777573)
the bigger the cone the more power it can handle and will not distort as much,yes get the larger speaker and have a go at making some collars from mdf,you wont regret it

go for the bigger size, it's worth the hassle.

bigger cone doesn't mean it will handle more power, they will have the same magnet assembly as the smaller speaker. just a bigger basket and cone.

they will produce more bass, so you don't have to turn them up as much

FauxSTi 04 July 2009 10:22 AM

I swapped them for the bigger ones the next day, still haven't got around to fitting them yet though :o

Lindowkid 16 July 2009 11:22 PM

Do you mind me asking where you got these from, price and what other speakers you considered ? Not sure whether to go for Alpine's, Infinity or JBL ?

FauxSTi 16 July 2009 11:25 PM

I got them from bassjunkies (Wolverhampton branch), I didn't really consider any others as these were half price and seemed a really good deal, and I couldn't be arsed to search anymore.

adamobie1 23 August 2009 08:36 AM

Speaker fitment

Hi,

How did you get on with the front speaker fitment mate?

Did you end up straight fitting or did you have to make your own spacers?

Just temping the job on my 03 bug eye.

Thanks in advance
:):):):):):):):)

firebug 23 August 2009 10:39 AM

i got some 16 cm speakers, removed the old ones and the old spacer, screwed them into the door, then realised the window wouldnt go down!!! doh!!! made some mdf spacers but you can buy spacers like the original ones but for 16cm speakers on ebay for about a tenner i think .

FauxSTi 23 August 2009 10:56 AM

Mine are still in the box lol. I'll be making spacers from mdf, if I ever get around to fitting them. Those ebay ones mentioned above can also be got from Halfords if you're in a rush.

Dave Y 23 August 2009 11:03 AM

get some soundproofing for the front doors , big improvement.

Sudden Stop 24 August 2009 08:05 PM

I replaced all four door speakers but it made little difference really. It still sounded cr:op. To make a standard scoob any better, sound proofing is an absolute must. It's a pain in the backside but seriously - you have to do it.

Scoobyn 30 August 2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sudden Stop (Post 8900292)
I replaced all four door speakers but it made little difference really. It still sounded cr:op. To make a standard scoob any better, sound proofing is an absolute must. It's a pain in the backside but seriously - you have to do it.

Are you still using the original headunit or have you replaced it? If you are that is why it still sounds crap.

Dave Y 30 August 2009 04:20 PM

i left original head unit in had two hertz speakers plus soundproofing in the front doors. Sounds ok to me. All for £200

escott 31 August 2009 10:49 PM

If you are running decent components, you will also need an amp. It makes a huge difference.

If you check the power requirements of your speakers, then compare it to the output of even a decent headunit - 4x50w normally means peak, which is meaningless, the actual is generally 4x15w. I had Infinity components running from a Sony headunit (awful - worse than the standard speakers), a very good Alpine (9887r - 4x60w claimed, better but still not great) and now a Genesis Profile 4 - superb.

Oh, and as above - soundproofing!

Scoobyn 26 September 2009 04:33 PM

After doing some research ive found out that the original door speakers are 6.3 inch which you just cant buy. If you want to change em you will need spacers. 2 are available on the net 5.25" ones and 6.5"ones.

G-Man1982 04 October 2009 11:05 PM

you dont need spacers........... all new speakers come with grills correct?? pop the mesh out, spin the grill surrounds round, vwalla!! you have spacers with pre cut holes!! thats all i done and it works a treat!!

simples!

stevie1982 07 October 2009 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobyman1982 (Post 8979724)
you dont need spacers........... all new speakers come with grills correct?? pop the mesh out, spin the grill surrounds round, vwalla!! you have spacers with pre cut holes!! thats all i done and it works a treat!!

simples!

Handy trick there chap!!