ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Getting wet when I accelerate! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/771577-getting-wet-when-i-accelerate.html)

JonnyA 11 June 2009 06:11 PM

Getting wet when I accelerate!

I have an MY98 STi and when I accelerate, (not even flooring it) the rear washer jet squirts water onto the rear screen! I haven't found a washer bottle anywhere in the boot (as on my old WRX) so I assume it feeds from the main bottle in the engine bay, and the inertia of the water in the pipe forces it out under acceleration?

Does anyone else get this?

eljay 11 June 2009 06:59 PM

My 97 STI does this also. :(

al_P 11 June 2009 07:23 PM

so the car is p!ssing all over your opponent, lol id keep it lol

Shaun 11 June 2009 07:28 PM

My missus gets wet everytime my car accelerates! :D

vindaloo 11 June 2009 07:36 PM

There is supposed to be a low pressure valve in the piping to the rear wash wipe. It's meant to stop this sort of thing from happening. I'd guess it's gummed up or just worn out after too many years.

As I understand it, only Classic saloons with rear wash will suffer. Apart from P1s, that limits the number of cars to imports with rear wash wipe as I understand it wasn't an option on Euro/UK cars.

Sorry I don't have the parts descriptions or numbers.

J.

c4syf1 11 June 2009 07:38 PM

my 51reg jdm sti does this dont no why

Micky Type-R 11 June 2009 07:39 PM

Have the same thing on my '98 Type R.Does my head in when I've just washed the bloody thing.:brickwall

Glad it's not just mine then.:lol1:

I had thought it was because the rear washer pump has gone in mine and was letting the water through.Does your's still work?

mystery_machine 11 June 2009 08:06 PM

My 98 STI does it, but as i never use the washer I just taped it over with a piece of electrical tape and I have had no problems since :)

TingTongPJ 11 June 2009 08:39 PM

mine does exactly the same, i've blanked the pipe off now with a nut and a cable tie.

Steve_PPP 11 June 2009 08:59 PM

i haven't got a wear washer, but my bug does the same thing from the drivers side front washer when cornering quickly :)

gpssti4 11 June 2009 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 8759898)
There is supposed to be a low pressure valve in the piping to the rear wash wipe. It's meant to stop this sort of thing from happening. I'd guess it's gummed up or just worn out after too many years.

As I understand it, only Classic saloons with rear wash will suffer. Apart from P1s, that limits the number of cars to imports with rear wash wipe as I understand it wasn't an option on Euro/UK cars.

Sorry I don't have the parts descriptions or numbers.

J.

You can buy a replacement from Subaru for peanuts - must be the only cheap thing they sell though!

JonnyA 12 June 2009 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm glad it's not just me. It amuses me to see just how wet the rear screen is by the end of my journey.

The rear washer still works fine when it is supposed to.

Does anyone know where exactly in the system the low pressure valve is?