ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Positive Action (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/77145-positive-action.html)

Alpine 05 March 2002 11:42 AM

Ok we're hearing a lot about Subaru drivers being car-jacked and attacked in their own homes for their keys. A lot of people are suggesting writing to MP's etc etc.. The problem is that a lot of people are indignant NOW but in a couple of hours/days this wears away and not much happens.. Either that or a few MP's receive a few disjointed letters and nothing happens.. What we really need to do is ride this wave of concern and get people to act in positive and coherant manner..

I'm suggesting that we draft a letter to the PM expressing our concerns and asking for action. I can email this to anyone who wants one. They add their name and address and sign and return to me. Once I have a number together I will arrange for these to be delivered.. Thoughts?

Elvis Presley 05 March 2002 11:45 AM

I'm in.

Jolly Green Monster 2 05 March 2002 11:46 AM

Count me in...

Mo 05 March 2002 11:48 AM

Me to.

GazP 05 March 2002 11:48 AM

I don't own a Scoob but count me in. This kind of thing could happen to any performance car owner!

care3 05 March 2002 11:49 AM

nothing will be done until a member of parliament gets carjacked. its the same old story.Vote loony.

reaton 05 March 2002 11:50 AM

Alpine

I'm sure if you posted a draft letter on here along with the e-mail/fax/postal address of where to send it then there would be a huge amount of people on here that would do it!

Well done that man for getting the ball rolling :-)

Richard

mattski2 05 March 2002 11:50 AM

I'm in, get onto the GT-R, GTi-R, Evo and RS boards too, sure those guys would be interested... nice one...

Matt.

medders 05 March 2002 11:53 AM

Count me in...

tiggers 05 March 2002 11:59 AM

Yep, I'm in

tiggers

Seamus300 05 March 2002 12:03 PM

Me too!

Sean

Alpine 05 March 2002 12:03 PM

I don't want to post my address on here for obvious reasons.. I will build a list of email addresses ( to be used only for this specific purpose) and email everyone with my address once I've got the draft done..
Thanks for the good initial response... If it keeps coming in I'm going to contact the press and perhaps set-up a website where people can register.. save all that postal hassle... then just print off a letter with a huge list of names and addresses...

mattstant 05 March 2002 12:04 PM

me too

Elvis Presley 05 March 2002 12:04 PM

Basically, as said before all we need is a letter typed on here with the address to send it to.

Then we can all paste it into word, put our name and address on it and print it out to send it.
I will then get 50 people at my office to do the same.

The MP etc will be inundated with 100s of these letters and will hopefully take action.

Mo 05 March 2002 12:05 PM

I'm with Elvis.

scrap 05 March 2002 12:06 PM

Yep - count me in (from MLR board)

STi wanna Subaru 05 March 2002 12:07 PM

I'm in

Elvis Presley 05 March 2002 12:15 PM

We need to combine this with EvilBevils thread about the international bikini carwash event.

Jen 05 March 2002 12:16 PM

Me!

jennifer.rees@hants.gov.uk

Ta! :D

Jen

carl 05 March 2002 12:18 PM

Alpine -- set up a PO Box (Stef has done this for the trackday payments).

HamsterWheel 05 March 2002 12:19 PM

Sorry, but writing to an MP you just become another bunch of whingers. This thread is titled "Positive action", why not use ScoobyNet to do something positive ? You should get posting on anyone offering spares at suspiciously low prices, and make sure that details of all stolen Scooby's are posted here prominently and permanently.

sjah555 05 March 2002 12:20 PM

I'm in !!!

Sal.

Thegrimreaper 05 March 2002 12:22 PM

im in as well

carl 05 March 2002 12:22 PM

Hang on a minute: I've just noticed Alpine has a low post count. None of us know him, AFAIK. Is it a good idea for us to all send him our snail-mail addresses? Wouldn't we be better organizing this through someone we know we can trust (SDB springs to mind)?

Alpine -- I'm 99.9% certain that your intentions are genuine, but it pays to be paranoid in these times :(

Alpine 05 March 2002 12:24 PM

I agree Hamster we should do that AS WELL.. Also why are the cars being nicked? If it's for spares could we agree to have numbers engraved in a certain place on the most expensive / most commonly recyled parts... You can tell when an engraved number has been removed so you shouldn't buy and should report... perhaps we could also get some stickers made up which say that key parts are marked?

We need a concerted effort on ALL fronts..

Alpine 05 March 2002 12:26 PM

Carl no offense taken.. I think ideally this would come via a car club.. perhaps the SIDC.. just trying to get a ball rolling... Only got my Subaru 4 weeks ago and would like to keep it and my partner and new child safe...

Mo 05 March 2002 12:27 PM

trouble is most stolen parts will be used by the thiefs and their co-workers to rebuild a stolen or smashed up car.

Thegrimreaper 05 March 2002 12:28 PM

im with carl on being concerned about giving out postal adresses, i think the best way is whats been said before about a letter that can be downloaded and we post it personally, i know i am only new to this as well so people may think that i might not be trusted but i appreciate that but the last thing i want is my car that i have only just started enjoying being stolen, even worse anything happening to friends and family

reaton 05 March 2002 01:52 PM

Alpine

If you need any work doing on a web site (I have Web/ASP/Database experience etc), then just give me a shout and I'll be happy to help...

Richard

JoanUK300 05 March 2002 01:53 PM

Yep, count us in too, please.

Joan.

P.S Would you mind if I passed this onto some friends who feel rather strongly about this too?