ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Dawes FAQ for the torrent of questions about to hit the bbs... (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/77143-dawes-faq-for-the-torrent-of-questions-about-to-hit-the-bbs.html)

mutant_matt 05 March 2002 11:33 AM

For all of you have just recieved your Dawes, if you have any questions that are about to be fired at John and co, please read ALL the threads linked in the following thread before posting/emailing John and other Dawes owners....... ;):)

Dawes FAQ Thread

Matt :)

john banks 05 March 2002 03:19 PM

This is a newer version:

DAWES FAQ
=========
The Dawes manual boost controller is a ball-spring device which costs about £35 in the UK and can give decent improvements in performance. It can be fitted in minutes with no tools required except maybe scissors. The main benefits are dramatic improvements in turbo spool up time, as well as a wider boost and torque curve - the effects of this can be quite considerable. However, if you push it too far so could the safety implications - if you are foolish you could lose your engine. In fitting any performance device to your car you should know what you are doing and if in any doubt consult a professional.

Documented experience on Scoobynet seems greatest with the MY99/00 UK models, and up to fuel cut (approx 17 PSI) most cars seem to cope well with fuelling and timing, although data in track conditions has not been collected. A boost gauge and air fuel ratio meter should be considered ESSENTIAL when fitting a Dawes. You need to also consider fuel cut, compressor efficiency, intercooler efficiency, charge temperatures, injector duty cycle, knock and exhaust gas temperatures. Bear in mind also that on part throttle there can be excessive boost on part throttle on cars with small turbos (MY98 on) which can affect driveability, control on bends, as well as cause lean running of your engine with potentially serious conequences.

Despite these issues, you will see from the threads below that many have worked ways around these limitations and are using the devices safely. Scoobynet, myself, Dawes suppliers or any of the posters in the below links/threads will not be liable for any personal injury or engine damage caused by any of your modifications.

Safety first!
The following threads/links should be essential reading before fitting a Dawes:
Dawes fitting - 92-96 models
Dawes fitting - 97-00 models
Performance Exhausts official UK distributor Dawes devices
Boost with and without MBC
Best way to fit Dawes
Ball spring manual boost controller with bleed for better EGT and part throttle
Dawes with bleed valve
Dawes with bleed hole
MY92-96 WRX Dawes
MY92-96 WRX Dawes bleed hole
Dawes malarchy
Dawes on imports
Dawes setup "Best way"
Dawes higher up the revs MY99/00
Dawes MY01
Dawes MY01
Dawes AFR setup
Some other Dawes threads:
Dawes boost spiking
Dawes experiences
Dawes setup
Dawes questions - spiking
Dawes spiking
Dawes vs Turbosmart
Dawes, superchips, fuel cut
Dawes vs TurboXS
Dawes on Evo 7
Dawes driving experience
Some I-club threads - bear in mind these are based on the MY01/02, and these cars seem to behave differently to the MY99/00 UK turbos, and also UK MY01s do not seem to have the same EGT (exhaust gas temperature issues)
High EGTs
Boost with MBCs
EGTs
MBC over time=lame
High EGTs

mutant_matt 06 March 2002 05:13 PM

BTTT :)

mutant_matt 07 March 2002 08:06 AM

SAFETY FIRST

mutant_matt 08 March 2002 06:02 PM

Luke 08 March 2002 06:07 PM

ttt . Please "TTT "after reading!!

ozzy 08 March 2002 06:42 PM

ttt

mega_stream 09 March 2002 02:34 PM

:)

mutant_matt 10 March 2002 10:54 AM

Katana 11 March 2002 01:24 PM

Get rid of the fuel cut. Its too low anyway. I spent a whole year with 20ish psi on my MY93 with no detrimental effects (apart from petrol). As long as you monitor fueling, temperature etc, you'd find that its feasable.

ps, on the older car, are you still using the original boost solenoid? If you are, bypass it and connect the turbo nipple to the Dawes directly to the wastegate actuator.

edit: If only you live closer to me, I'd take a look at it for you.

[Edited by Katana - 11/3/2002 1:26:52 PM]

Katana 11 March 2002 01:39 PM

Seems more like your wastegate being stuck on close more than anything. The Dawes just sorta bleeds a bit of boost from the wastegate. Try to connect the turbo nipple directly to the wastegate actuator. It should read around 0.7 Bar I think. If it does give this reading, then you might have a leak somewhere in the system while you were installing the dawes. Try this for now.

[Edited by Katana - 11/3/2002 1:40:29 PM]

COMPUCOLIN 11 March 2002 08:24 PM

I have had a look through loads of Dawes postings and no-one has mentioned its effect on Warrantees. Can the thing be easily removed within a few moments whilst at the roadside billowing smoke ?? or whilst in for a service ?

Can it be put on in such a way that its removed
easily and exchanged for a bit of pipe or something ?

Cheers, Colin....

mega_stream 11 March 2002 08:26 PM

Yup on and off in seconds me ol' mukker :D

2 pipes off, original pipes back on, jobs a goodun :D

Myk 11 March 2002 11:03 PM

ttt

Scott W 12 March 2002 08:57 AM

BTTT

COMPUCOLIN 14 March 2002 07:43 PM

Nice one....

One other question.

If you put the Dawes on a MY99 with NO other mods and slowly unwind and test it, why would I need a Boost Guage ?

Do you only need a boost guage if the Fuel Cut has been altered ?

Cheers again,

Colin....

john banks 14 March 2002 08:29 PM

Buy a boost gauge m8. Trust me on this one ;)

mutant_matt 15 March 2002 08:40 AM

For Fosters.... ;)

COMPUCOLIN 18 March 2002 08:22 PM

Thanks....Colin.

Jamie Whitfield 18 March 2002 10:36 PM

For Jonny Gav BTTT! ;)

GavinP 24 March 2002 09:57 AM

TOP! I thought this was going to become a "sticky" ????

Tone Loc 05 April 2002 01:32 PM

Top.

Jamie Whitfield 05 April 2002 07:22 PM

BTTT for my mate Jonathan! ;)

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.performanceexhausts.net

Luke 05 April 2002 08:06 PM

ttttttt

Jamie Whitfield 06 April 2002 08:52 PM

BTTT for John H!

GavinP 09 April 2002 04:36 PM

BTTT

MarkehB 11 April 2002 05:03 PM

Whilst punting this very helpful thread back to the top where it belongs i'll ask a question i've yet to find an answer to.

Being unmechanically minded how do you explain it to an insure company? I've never fitted a performance mod before, do they ask what it is and what it does? And don't they want it fitted by a mechanic?

mutant_matt 11 April 2002 05:39 PM

I just told them I was fitting a manual boost controller and would be raising boost from 1.0bar to 1.1bar and they said they'd add it for free :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

P.S. That *was* Greenlight though and they are not your average broker.....

snowcrash 20 April 2002 01:30 AM

BTTT... :D

flat4 @ work 23 April 2002 11:49 AM

ttt

if we're on about insurance, if you have one fitted but still run at the same boost as standard, is it still classed as a mod?

kev