ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   upgrade classic cluster (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/770959-upgrade-classic-cluster.html)

tow13 08 June 2009 08:16 PM

upgrade classic cluster

Is there an upgrade for my phase1 classic clocks or am I stuck with these forever.

mickywrx 08 June 2009 08:22 PM

What do you class as an upgrade?

Plenty of options available, depending on your pocket depth.

One option;

Stack Street-Race Dash Display Systems

tow13 08 June 2009 08:25 PM

Was hoping on a newer spec..

alex_00s 09 June 2009 08:47 AM

I also would like to upgrade my clocks...

I have a version 3 1997 sti with pre-face lift clocks I think... old fashoined revolving numbers on the speedo.

I'd like a set of clocks with digital mileage read out.

Is it possible to get the clocks out of a version 5 or 6 sti or p1 with digital speedo read out and just plug and play??

tanyatriangles 09 June 2009 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by alex_00s (Post 8754206)
I also would like to upgrade my clocks...

I have a version 3 1997 sti with pre-face lift clocks I think... old fashoined revolving numbers on the speedo.

I'd like a set of clocks with digital mileage read out.

Is it possible to get the clocks out of a version 5 or 6 sti or p1 with digital speedo read out and just plug and play??

Not plug and play, no, since the older clocks rely on a mechnical speedo cable, whereas the newer ones are electronic.

IIRC, it HAS been done, but it's a bit of a mare, loads of loom cutting and joining.

Probably cheaper to buy a newer car, more reliable too.........bodged electrics have a habit of coming back to bite the bodger;)

alex_00s 09 June 2009 12:52 PM

Thanks mate... I think I'll stick to my current speedo and just live with it ;-)

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was coz the needles do not illuminate at night which is a bit of a pain... you can see the numbers all lit up, but no needles... how that got past the drawing board I'll never know :Whatever_

tow13 09 June 2009 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by alex_00s (Post 8754687)
Thanks mate... I think I'll stick to my current speedo and just live with it ;-)

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was coz the needles do not illuminate at night which is a bit of a pain... you can see the numbers all lit up, but no needles... how that got past the drawing board I'll never know :Whatever_

Yeh:lol:

tanyatriangles 10 June 2009 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by alex_00s (Post 8754687)

You sure you haven't got a bulb out?

alex_00s 10 June 2009 10:36 AM

Well there's 4 dials (petrol, speedo, rev counter and water temp) so for all 4 needle bulbs to be blown out of every bulb on the cluster would be a bit of a spookie coincidence...

...unless someone else on here has a pre-face lift dash and has needle illumination??

ps: tanyatriangles... are you friends with sarasquares?