ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   why remove the crank sensor when changing oil??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/770691-why-remove-the-crank-sensor-when-changing-oil.html)

m@t STImulation 07 June 2009 04:37 PM

why remove the crank sensor when changing oil???

as above is it to gain oil pressure before 1st start??

m@t STImulation 07 June 2009 04:38 PM

or is it cam sensor my bad?? do you h=just disconect just wondered why this needs to be done

myblackwrx 07 June 2009 04:51 PM

It is the crank sensor BUT this topic open up a can of worms.
imo it doesn't have to be done but lots of people do, lots of people don't.
My garage doesn't and i've never had a problem.

imo if you are worried the disconnect it simply as.

The oil pick up tube has air in it and the cranking without the sensor purges the system is the main reasoning behind it (i think)

You should pre fill the oil filter though (i'm not sure if anyone disagrees with that :) )

The Rig 07 June 2009 05:10 PM

Great,you had to ask this question !!!!!!!

awaits a 3 page thread on oil changing again

The Rig 07 June 2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 8750744)

You should pre fill the oil filter though (i'm not sure if anyone disagrees with that :) )

I do :)

My oil filter is located behind my drivers headlight and is fitted with the access hole pointing downwards so if i pre-filled my oil filter,well,it would be empty by the time i had screwed it on.

touches wood in the last 3 yrs and 4 oil changes no issues yet :luxhello:

myblackwrx 07 June 2009 05:13 PM

But in your case the oil filter isn't in the standard position:lol1:

and as you'ver pointed out you've had no problems.

It's when it comes down to someone having a problem (oil changes being a popular choice:lol1:) that's when the discussion gets heated about what you should or should not do :)

legacytt 07 June 2009 05:50 PM

my thoughts were if it was after an engine rebuild you did the crank sensor thingy but i do agree on pre filling the oil filter.

fujiyama 07 June 2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 8750788)
I do :)

My oil filter is located behind my drivers headlight and is fitted with the access hole pointing downwards so if i pre-filled my oil filter,well,it would be empty by the time i had screwed it on.

touches wood in the last 3 yrs and 4 oil changes no issues yet :luxhello:

If you have inverted your oil filter, you need a filter suitable for that position, i.e. a filter with an anti-drainback valve which will ensure that oil is retained in the filter ready for the next start, rather than emptying when the engine stops and having to be filled when the engine is started. The difference between the two types of filter can be seen if you look at the holes around the edge of the filter. The anti-drainback type has a plastic disc fitted inside which is the non-return valve; the standard filter doesn't.