ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Had Geometry done at Elite!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/77002-had-geometry-done-at-elite.html)

SCOBY 04 March 2002 07:18 PM

Just had the above done and asked for the Prodrive setting, after showing a friend the print out he seems to think that from the settings i now have the tyres will wear the out big time.

SETTINGS NOW ARE:

Camber Left -1deg02'
right -1deg05'

Am i to worry about this or not.

Hope someone can advise.

Cheers

SCOBY

RON 04 March 2002 11:44 PM

Looks like about as close as they could get to equal to me!
Don't worry about it.
Ron

chuckster 05 March 2002 07:09 AM

The 'prodrive' settings are harsher on the inside edges, but you have to compromise somewhere, here you compromise tyre longevity for handling. It isn;t terrible though, and those settings are correct.
Chuck

SCOBY 05 March 2002 06:03 PM

Thanks a lot for the reasurance:)

SCOBY

catflap 05 March 2002 06:23 PM

Just spotted this on the 22b bbb

"I got this from Prodrive
I'd like to put this one to rest, once and for all.

Our recommended settings are within the Subaru tolerance range for the car and are merely a tightening of those tolerances. They do not cause uneven tyre wear!!!

What does cause uneven tyre wear are the particular circumstances each car is driven in. Any car fitted with PZero tyres and driven predominantly on motorways and not driven 'on the door handles' at all other times is likely to show more wear on the inner edge of the tyres, mainly due to the different tread to air ratio across the tyre, not excessive camber. Conversely, a car driven 'on the door handles' all the time or around Milton Keynes (too many roundabouts!) will generally show more wear on the outside of the left hand tyres, particularly the front.

Cars with directional tyres such as Bridgestones will have different wear characteristics as the tread to air ratio is the same on either edge of the tyre.

Different geometry settings will give different results for the above reasons. Our recommendations are based on our experience. They will never be a long way from the optimum for any given condition, but you may find you wish to fine tune them for your own driving style.
"

RB5SCOTT 05 March 2002 07:19 PM

Toby don't worry about it you pussy ;)

The 1 degree of negative camber will slightly wear away the inner edge(not excessive, logic & physics tells you this) but the 5 degress of toe-in will counteract this by wearing the outer edge

With a neautral camber you will be wearing the outside edge when pushing into a corner, so the Prodrive settings not only give you better handling by increasing the cornering footprint but allow for even wear ;) unless of cause you drive like a pussy :D

Scott

P.S i had 2degrees of negative camber on a nova and still managed to kill the outside edges first ;) :D

SCOBY 07 March 2002 06:20 PM

SCOTT I aint no pussy you TART:) I seem to remember you behind me all the way to Southend u HANDBAG ;) (Heard u like to be behind) its nice to know your well up on your L.O.G.I.C's & PHYSICS though, you'll be the first i ask when i need to know about tyre wear:D.

SCOBY

RB5SCOTT 07 March 2002 07:08 PM

I've been waiting 2 days for that reply :D you nancy-boy ;)

anyway i like to be behind, its better to be a giver than a reciever :D

Joseph 09 March 2002 02:46 AM

Scott you are such a Hero. You prancing pony.

Hope those walls were staight.
When I left they had an uncanny resemblance to you.
They weren't straight.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Mr I have got better gear ratios.
J.