ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   JDM, JDM, JDM!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/769199-jdm-jdm-jdm.html)

willbones 31 May 2009 12:25 AM

JDM, JDM, JDM!!!!!

I've got between 10 - 12 k to spend on a car and have decided an impreza is the way forward. I was originally looking at a WR1 or an STI PPP. However, i just got a hypothetical quote on an STi JDM 320 break and it was less than an STI with PPP. With that in mind i'm now looking for a JDM spec Sti. Anyone know of any good examples for that money?

What are the potential pitfalls with a JDM car?

Seems like a better spec per quid, lower tax i.e. PLG etc. Just wondering what the negatives are that I may have overlooked.

TonyBurns 31 May 2009 07:05 AM

No real pitfalls on the JDM cars, they oome better equipped than a UK equivelent model.

PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters is your friend :D

Ok, negative points, JDM 7.5k 6 month service intervals and 1 year oil changes on the gearbox oil v UK 10k 1 year and 2 year gearbox oil changes, thats about it, oh and no burble on the JDM cars due to the equal lenght headers, but JDM owners will tell you that there is no problem there, and there isnt, it sounds fantastic :D like a race bike ;)
Oh and there are some places you dont want to buy from, mainly up in yorkshire (keighley trade sports and performance)

Tony:)

poo2y 31 May 2009 06:59 PM

:(The cheap tax doesn't factor if it's a fresh import . I've just bought a 2004 jdm sti8 and its at the higher level:cry:

RobsyUK 27 July 2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by poo2y (Post 8736434)
:(The cheap tax doesn't factor if it's a fresh import . I've just bought a 2004 jdm sti8 and its at the higher level:cry:

I know this is a huge thread revival but op did you get a jdm?
what was your tax

rossyboy 27 July 2018 06:17 PM

Don’t worry - as long as your importer knows what they’re doing, it’ll be PLG. My Spec C is £255 a year.

Why not ask them about it?

bonesetter 27 July 2018 06:20 PM

lucky you - my hatch is 525

RobsyUK 27 July 2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 12020187)
Don’t worry - as long as your importer knows what they’re doing, it’ll be PLG. My Spec C is £255 a year.

Why not ask them about it?

mot was the first thing I asked. It will be the £255 but can’t figure out why the dvla arecharging other imports the higher rate

PT82 27 July 2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 12020188)
lucky you - my hatch is 525

my jdm hatch is something like £275.

hedgecutter 27 July 2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by PT82 (Post 12020193)

Sorry Bonesetter, bummer! (self satisfied chuckle)

bonesetter 27 July 2018 07:21 PM

:)

I've never been able to figure out how all the variations on almost the same cars works...

Binny 27 July 2018 07:21 PM

I pay £255 yearly on a JDM MY03.

Clearly an old thread but imo there is one huge disadvantage people should be aware of when buying a JDM and that’s JDM specific parts are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive and clearly rarer than uk parts. An example, my front lamda went a while back - UK part £120 and next day delivery - JDM version £400 and a weeks wait!!!!!!

Rough with the smooth I guess, a better car (cue JDM vs UK debate 🙄) but more expense when required.

JDM_Stig 27 July 2018 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Binny (Post 12020206)

Clearly an old thread but imo there is one huge disadvantage people should be aware of when buying a JDM and that’s JDM specific parts are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive and clearly rarer than uk parts. An example, my front lamda went a while back - UK part £120 and next day delivery - JDM version £400 and a weeks wait!!!!!!

Rough with the smooth I guess, a better car (cue JDM vs UK debate 🙄) but more expense when required.

Never had that issue with my JDM V7 Sti, World Car Parts had Denso sensors cheaper than Ebay . .
Been thinking about selling it, just not using it, under 40k Miles from new.

RAGGY DOO 27 July 2018 09:30 PM

1200 euro here matey

hedgecutter 27 July 2018 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12020220)

1200 euro here matey

WHAT? And crap fuel!

The Trooper 1815 27 July 2018 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Binny (Post 12020206)

You been had on car parts:cuckoo:

RAGGY DOO 28 July 2018 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12020235)
WHAT? And crap fuel!

can tax every three months if your stuck 333 for 3 months disgusting

Vxr2010 28 July 2018 07:32 AM

Answering the uk tax level question , it is often age dependent but on top of that the biggest issue is the build report , some show a co figure if it does tax is often higher it it does not then no co figure shown on v5 therefore cheaper car tax , the importer has a lot of influence based on which build report they use and if it shows a co figure , the other thing with the dvla , age is based on year of manufacture not when it was bought into the uk , an 04 car is an 04 car not a 2016 when it was imported , if they are taxing it based on 2016 you can email them and it will be changed , i think you can claim over paid tax too , i think it’s the april ? 2006 plus you end up on the highest tax bracket and you cant always do much about it

Binny 28 July 2018 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 12020239)
You been had on car parts:cuckoo:

I can only speak from the experiences I’ve had. In the lamda issue instance obviously it had to be the correct part, I asked on here for advice, tried the usual suspects such as ICP etc and nobody had one in stock. In fact when it came to ICP it was over a 3 month wait in that case. The only place who had one in stock was Subaru UK at £393 (and they only had 2 in stock in the whole of the U.K.). ICP themselves wanted something like £330.

If people on here have better places to obtain JDM parts (reasonably quickly) at a price the same as U.K. parts then please share the love!

Vxr2010 28 July 2018 08:58 AM

Mega zip or Partsouq , are two good places to go too much cheaper than the uk but you have to add about 25 to 30 per cent on total for import duties but still works out cheaper , mega zip is good at finding part numbers , Partsouq are often cheaper

RAGGY DOO 28 July 2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Binny (Post 12020249)

I can only speak from the experiences I’ve had. In the lamda issue instance obviously it had to be the correct part, I asked on here for advice, tried the usual suspects such as ICP etc and nobody had one in stock. In fact when it came to ICP it was over a 3 month wait in that case. The only place who had one in stock was Subaru UK at £393 (and they only had 2 in stock in the whole of the U.K.). ICP themselves wanted something like £330.

If people on here have better places to obtain JDM parts (reasonably quickly) at a price the same as U.K. parts then please share the love!

.amayama.com

scoobycolm 29 July 2018 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Binny (Post 12020249)

That would be the Twin scroll 02 sensor I assume
I ordered one for a Spec c 2 weeks ago from Luke in import car parts for £295.00 and received it in 3 days