ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   low oil pressure on start up (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/767724-low-oil-pressure-on-start-up.html)

carl.woolford 23 May 2009 02:12 AM

low oil pressure on start up

having rebuilt my engine and now done 1000 miles running in, when i first start engine it seem to take a while, on a second or two too build up oil pressure and i can hear it knocking for that 1 second, any ideas on what could be causing this please

dabow 23 May 2009 09:26 AM

either its a very thin type oil, or your pump is on its way out

have you checked the oil level?

ALi-B 23 May 2009 09:38 AM

Hmm. Shouldn't be knocking on start up, Could be draining down overnight. Needs checking out.

Loose oil pump screws/cover, dodgy pressere relief valve or the seal between the block and the oil pickup is sucking air.

Or there is a tolerance issue and its wiped out a bearing(s) :(

dabow 23 May 2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 8720771)
Hmm. Shouldn't be knocking on start up, Could be draining down overnight. Needs checking out.

Loose oil pump screws/cover, dodgy pressere relief valve or the seal between the block and the oil pickup is sucking air.

Or there is a tolerance issue and its wiped out a bearing(s) :(

when my pump was starting to go. it was just low

then all of a sudden. there was smoke every where
the pump screws on the back came undone, letting the oil every where.

worth checking mate.
has the car had low presure all the time, or just resently. since i changed to an uprated one. never had a problem.

ALi-B 23 May 2009 10:16 AM

If the screws have come done; they just need the threads fixed with thread-lock again (must be oil tolerant and temp stable).

No need to change the pump due to that unless the cover/gears have been scored damaged.

dabow 23 May 2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 8720819)
If the screws have come done; they just need the threads fixed with thread-lock again (must be oil tolerant and temp stable).

No need to change the pump due to that unless the cover/gears have been scored damaged.

i could have, but desided on a new one.
due to the fact is was a little lower than my mates car

as soon as i changed to the new one, the presure was alot higher
and never had any issues since.

but i was just using this as an example.
this can/could have happened.

worth checking

carl.woolford 23 May 2009 05:25 PM

thanks for all the information done oil flush and changed from the mineral running in oil to normal oil, all seems to be ok now :luxhello:

carl.woolford 23 May 2009 06:26 PM

think the noise still there only for a split second, if a bearing had gone it be there all the time, might just be me being paranoid. does anyone know of a good garage in south wales where i could have this checked plz :wonder: