ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   TV License, how much are you paying? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/767343-tv-license-how-much-are-you-paying.html)

Jamz3k 21 May 2009 10:56 AM

TV License, how much are you paying?

Today on the radio i heard the TV License is going upto £142 which is blood boiling annoying as it is....but can anyone tell me why i'm paying £144 for mine at the moment?

I pay quarterly by the way do they add in fees for this privilege?

borderlinechris 21 May 2009 11:04 AM

you pay more cause they have to keep the air con on in the summer at bbc hq......

seriously thou, it is a rip off..(love the amount of"adverts" that the bbc show for stuff)

and dont get me started on bloody BBC dvds(ive already paid to watch it-why should i pay to watch it again...)

rant over...apologies to all.

Timwinner 21 May 2009 11:06 AM

Mine runs out this month, the renewal is £142.50 GU9 postcode, if postcode makes a difference.

STi wanna Subaru 21 May 2009 11:40 AM

It's a joke fee IMO. I pay Sky £32 a month for all their channels and the HD content. I get a lot of great films in dolby digital sound and the prem football for that. How does the BBC fee compare as value for money? It doesn't!

Jamz3k 21 May 2009 11:43 AM

right so it looks as thou i'm being being shafted for £1.50. those scoundrals!:lol1:

I don't mind paying my Sky bill because i use it but really i never watch the BBC channels other than TopGear when its not being repeated:Whatever_
so really at the minute i'm paying £12 a month to watch The Apprentice 4times:o

chocolate_o_brian 21 May 2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8716960)
It's a joke fee IMO. I pay Sky £32 a month for all their channels and the HD content. I get a lot of great films in dolby digital sound and the prem football for that. How does the BBC fee compare as value for money? It doesn't!

Yeah but if you were paying full price for the Sky package it would be closer to £50-60 surely? You moaned and got a good deal didn't you :D:D

BBC is a rip off, but they use the "advertless" tag don't they?

STi wanna Subaru 21 May 2009 11:48 AM

I did get a good deal yeah but the main thing is I get the choice what I pay for and want to watch.

Jamz3k 21 May 2009 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8716970)
BBC is a rip off, but they use the "advertless" tag don't they?

I haven't watched an advert in about 2 years. Either record it via Sky Plus and watch it at a later day. Or start recording it, and watch it 15minutes after it starts thus being able to fastforward thru all the pissy adverts.

Job done!:thumb:

StickyMicky 21 May 2009 11:49 AM

Just leave it 10 months in between paying the fees, and slash your yearly prices by a vast amount ;)

chocolate_o_brian 21 May 2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8716978)
I did get a good deal yeah but the main thing is I get the choice what I pay for and want to watch.

I know, just wanted the masses to know, that I knew that you knew that I knew that you weren't paying full price for Sky.

Makes no difference, 7 days and counting :luxhello:

STi wanna Subaru 21 May 2009 12:05 PM

:D It's not an exclusive deal being my point. Others could get it too and being a commercial company you have the option to accept or decline. The BBC is a mafia.

chocolate_o_brian 21 May 2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8717023)
:D It's not an exclusive deal being my point. Others could get it too and being a commercial company you have the option to accept or decline. The BBC is a mafia.

Totally take your points on. When I had money (and a job), I had the full sky package, not HD, but full package. Was paying £45 a month. I paid it becuase I liked the choice. Was the first thing to go when I dropped into current situ. Make do with the tinternet now and torrents.

Dedrater 21 May 2009 12:32 PM

Its a lesser crime (if a crime at all) to pirate your TV shows via torrents/usenet ect than to not pay the TVLA/BBC, work that one out?!

davyboy 21 May 2009 12:51 PM

Personally I'm happy to pay the licence fee as I think it repesents good value for money.

I only have free view and most programmes I watch are on BBC. Not to mention radio and iplayer I use daily.

spender(again) 21 May 2009 12:51 PM

Not sure what you're all moaning about, it works out to 39p a day, if you watch 4 hours tv a day then it's 10p an hour..........what other entertainment can you get for 10p an hour?

GC8WRX 21 May 2009 12:56 PM

I dont watch the bbc (governments mouthpiece) for 4 hours a week!

So why should they get nearly 150 a year off me?

STi wanna Subaru 21 May 2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by spender(again) (Post 8717104)
Not sure what you're all moaning about, it works out to 39p a day, if you watch 4 hours tv a day then it's 10p an hour..........what other entertainment can you get for 10p an hour?

doesn't work like that does it brains.

stilover 21 May 2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 8717103)
Personally I'm happy to pay the licence fee as I think it repesents good value for money.

I only have free view and most programmes I watch are on BBC. Not to mention radio and iplayer I use daily.

Agree. I'm happy to pay. I watch BBC1, & 2. Listen to various BBC Radio stations, and all without bl00dy adverts every 10-15 minutes.

Some of the best programs (Home grown) are on the BBC.

Channel 4 & 5 for US Drama's.

ITV1, 2, & 3 are sh1te. Can't honestly remember the last time I had ITV1 on.

Jamz3k 21 May 2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by GC8WRX (Post 8717112)
I dont watch the bbc (governments mouthpiece) for 4 hours a week!

So why should they get nearly 150 a year off me?

exactly, i think it woudl be even pushing it to say i watch 4hours a week of BBC.

And lets not get me started on Radio1 with Scott Mills, a man that can only be described as being blessed with less talent than Chris Moyles. When "oh whats occuring?" comes on i just see red.:o

then we have Jonathan Ross, i really don't think i need to explain anything about him.

spender(again) 21 May 2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8717115)
doesn't work like that does it brains.

It's an example ......how does it work then?

Jamz3k 21 May 2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8717117)
Some of the best programs (Home grown) are on the BBC.

I totally agree with you and when the BBC start making programmes of the same calibre as Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Dads Army, Porridge, etc etc I will not complain about the TV License but whilst its the John Barrowman Channel filled with lashing of Horne and Corden and heavily topped off with them idiots that do Little Britain, i cannot understand how anyone can stomach the TV License.

chocolate_o_brian 21 May 2009 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 8717140)
I totally agree with you and when the BBC start making programmes of the same calibre as Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Dads Army, Porridge, etc etc I will not complain about the TV License but whilst its the John Barrowman Channel filled with lashing of Horne and Corden and heavily topped off with them idiots that do Little Britain, i cannot understand how anyone can stomach the TV License.

Thing is though, just because you don't like a particular program, doesn't mean everyone dislikes it.

Stilover listed some things above which he enjoys, and I can say I don't like them. But it doesn't mean it's crap.

All about opinions James. Remember what you say isn't gospel :p

STi wanna Subaru 21 May 2009 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by spender(again) (Post 8717122)
It's an example ......how does it work then?

In general the only people watching the BBC are homosexuals and women. It's the only reason I can deduce they'd want to watch crap like Graham Norton, Eastenders and the like.

The general point is though you're forced to pay for an entertainment service you may not wish to use. If it was a public service such as the NHS or Police then it's fair enough but it's not.

HPLovecraft 21 May 2009 01:47 PM

I posted a thread on this last week, you might find the following website and its Q&A's informative:

Letters from BBC Television Licensing/intro

this guy stopped paying his a few years ago and my friend at work hasn't paid his for 6 years lol he gets a new 'warning' letter every month.

Jamz3k 21 May 2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8717152)
Thing is though, just because you don't like a particular program, doesn't mean everyone dislikes it.

Stilover listed some things above which he enjoys, and I can say I don't like them. But it doesn't mean it's crap.

All about opinions James. Remember what you say isn't gospel :p

NAIL ON THE HEAD COB, but if he likes it and is paying for it, that is fair game, i don't like it and i am still having to pay for it.;)

Good Prad's like me don't do Gospel by the way.:lol1:

spender(again) 21 May 2009 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=STi wanna Subaru;8717170]In general the only people watching the BBC are homosexuals and women.

That's not much of an argument really - is it?

I'll have watched 3 hours of F1 practice today - worth every last penny of todays 39p charge.

STi wanna Subaru 21 May 2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by HPLovecraft (Post 8717213)
I posted a thread on this last week, you might find the following website and its Q&A's informative:

Letters from BBC Television Licensing/intro

this guy stopped paying his a few years ago and my friend at work hasn't paid his for 6 years lol he gets a new 'warning' letter every month.

:lol1::thumb:

davyboy 21 May 2009 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 8717170)
In general the only people watching the BBC are homosexuals and women

You must live in a council house then, and watch ITV and SKY.

judgejules 21 May 2009 03:57 PM

I pay £0.00 for my TV license and take great pride in doing so.

It took me 1.5 years to get them to stop sending me the "You could be breaking the law and be fined £1000" letters every month as I wouldn't answer their question on whether I was able to watch or record TV programmes as they were being shown on TV.

I had two TV Nazi's visit my house to check, and funnily I was out both times. The second time, they dropped a card in my garden that had all my details on, including full name even though I have never told them I live here, nor have my details published on the electoral register. I called them up about this, as they kept claiming they didn't have my details on record, but I never got an official response in writing.

The amount of "adverts" on BBC for their other services and channels is akin to ITV/C4 etc so I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they were made to pay their own way. At least it would instigate removal of the chaff from the company and kick out some of the "heads up their own asses" people who work there.

IMHO, they are worse then the Gestapo.

J

davyboy 21 May 2009 04:01 PM

I have no problem paying for any quality service I use.

...hence I don't pay for sky.