ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What first mods???!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/766811-what-first-mods.html)

rookymatt 18 May 2009 08:57 PM

What first mods???!!

Choices choices!! Picking up my first ever scooby this week!! It's a 52 plate bug eye and dont know what to mod first! anyone got any ideas? i have about a £1k budget. Was thinking of putting a forge motorsport dv12 dump valve on it but i hear it can cause a rich mix! any ideas suggestions would be excellent! Thanks!!
:)

Marx Mcrae 18 May 2009 09:16 PM

Cat back exhaust and a Green panel filter, Eibach lowering springs

rookymatt 18 May 2009 09:40 PM

Thanks Marx, what sort of power difference will a see with that???

mje_wrx 18 May 2009 09:43 PM

once u start its a slipery slop, defo go exhaust, id for turbo back, decat the lot. then mayb get a ecu and remap it, apexi shud fall in budget, they ur ecu can be mapped once u add bigger mods like fmic, inj, turbo. and u will, lol its a bug :)

rookymatt 18 May 2009 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mje_wrx (Post 8711558)
once u start its a slipery slop, defo go exhaust, id for turbo back, decat the lot. then mayb get a ecu and remap it, apexi shud fall in budget, they ur ecu can be mapped once u add bigger mods like fmic, inj, turbo. and u will, lol its a bug :)

rather have this bug than swine flu, but i bet swine flu costs less!!! hahaha! i'm really liking the idea of a dump valve too but i seem to find mixed thoughts on them. what you think?? keep divert valve and chase power or have modist power and a bit of whoosh? (god im turning into a fast and furious monkey!) :D

dunx 18 May 2009 10:20 PM

I bought a Forge VTA many years ago, hasn't done mine any harm.

1. De-cat exhaust, de-cat up-pipe. Possibly 2nd hand to save for 2.
2. Re-map. Allegedly Andrew Carr is doing non-ecutek maps at half the going rate.... (?)
3. Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear anti-roll bar and drop-links, kills the understeer.
4. STI badges front and rear..... they all do it !

HTH

dunx

l8_taa 18 May 2009 10:22 PM

For 1k i'd get yourself a K&N Panel filter, sports cat and then full exhaust system. You should £350 free of your budget. Next i'd look at a ecuTEK remap to suit which will be £632 from Zen this should give you at least another 50bhp. Money well spent.

Dump valve's are nice, (got a forge fitted myself) but the do nothing for performance and do allow car to overfuel a little. Will dent your budget too if your looking for performance.

rookymatt 19 May 2009 06:49 PM

Thanks for all the advise, this is my first turbo car so i'll HAVE to get a dump vavle. hehe!
but i think i'll start with the exhaust as everyone says and go from there. Any other advise is welcomed! Thanks once again.

s70rjw 19 May 2009 07:46 PM

In this order:
Brakes
Suspension
Power
Pointless having power if you cannot use it or rein it in.

rookymatt 19 May 2009 08:28 PM

This is true, i shall invest wisely :thumb: Cheers.

daijones 19 May 2009 08:35 PM

First step, get a proper four wheel alignment done, makes a big difference to the handling. Better yet, get an anti-lift kit and stiffer rear roll bar, as dunx suggests, at the same time. Powerstation do the lot, with fitting, for 460+vat. Once you've got the chassis sorted you can appreciate extra power more. Save up for the exhaust, panel filter and remap. The standard ecu on a 52 plate will do a good job with an ecutek remap. That'll take a 52 wrx up to ~270, a 52 sti up to ~320. At that level it's definitely time to start looking at the brakes, though going for the brakes before the power is a good idea

D

rookymatt 19 May 2009 08:47 PM

ok few pointers
I could fit the roll bar myself (bmw tech) how much is it on its own??
Whats the lift kit?? i only know german cars!! hehe!
and where is somewhere relativley close to london area thats good with wheel alignments!!