ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Enterprise NAS appliance recommendations? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/765431-enterprise-nas-appliance-recommendations.html)

Andy Tang 12 May 2009 01:42 PM

Enterprise NAS appliance recommendations?

Hi,

I'm after a NAS for use at work and need either 2TB or 4TB, subject to price.

I need it run at least RAID5, but RAID10 would be nice.

I also need it to have redundant power supplies.

I've seen a few like the Buffalo TeraStation Pro II 4TB (4 * 1TB HDD, which will give me enough space in RAID5), but lacks the additional PSU.

Can anyone give me a sub-£2000 solution, or do I need to look at the likes of Dell and pay over £2k??

Cheers
Andy

spectrum48k 12 May 2009 01:49 PM

QNAP Systems, Inc. (Products)- NAS storage and Surveillance products provider

Andy Tang 12 May 2009 02:08 PM

Nice looking kit, but the rackmount model with redundant power supplies is £2k without disks!!

Cheaper to look at Dell!!! :eek:

ChrisB 12 May 2009 05:22 PM

The Thecus 8000 has redundant PSUs, can go up to 16TB with 2GB HDs (8 SATA bays) and is £1500+VAT diskless

Originestore> Home > NAS / SAN / iSCSI > Thecus N8800

Edit to say it's had a good review recently:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/25231...n8800-8tb.html

boxst 13 May 2009 07:22 AM

Data Storage, Storage Management Products - EMC

Dedrater 13 May 2009 08:10 PM

www.span.com - Find External Hard Drives & Enclosures - Bays:4 to 6 with redundant PSU

The Axes at the bottom, with six 1.5tb Seagate drives comes to £1987.19 inc.VAT

Andy Tang 14 May 2009 02:39 PM

Cheers Guys! :D

HHxx 14 May 2009 09:50 PM

If you don't really need an appliance, I would just build a cheap server and fill it with disks with a decent raid controller.

My concern with NAS are their throughput in the cheaper ones and if something breaks, you might have to buy a similar model to fix it, start again from scratch/backup or end up mounting the drives on a *nix box to get your data back.

OS/software wise, there are open source software that will do the job without messing too much, freenas and probably openfiler springs to mind.

Just MHO... Common components that are not all integrated.

H

ChrisB 15 May 2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by HHxx (Post 8703575)
If you don't really need an appliance, I would just build a cheap server and fill it with disks with a decent raid controller.

My concern with NAS are their throughput in the cheaper ones and if something breaks, you might have to buy a similar model to fix it, start again from scratch/backup or end up mounting the drives on a *nix box to get your data back.

OS/software wise, there are open source software that will do the job without messing too much, freenas and probably openfiler springs to mind.

Just MHO... Common components that are not all integrated.

H

Intrigued by this, I've done a bit of surfing this afternoon, and found this beast:
X-Case RM 316 16x hot-swappable SATA (I or II) / SAS drive bays- 950 Watt Psu - Racksurf , Rackmount cases, Rackmount systems, 1u,2,3u,4u,5u, rackmount systems, rackqueen, custom server, bespoke server for £400.
A 16 channel Adaptec SAS RAID controller would be £500, a motherboard / CPU / RAM combo around £200 (dual core, bog-standard ATX board and 4GB DDR RAM)

So that's £1100+VAT.

Eight 500GB SATA HDs ("RAID" spec ones) would be £550, giving 4TB and money left over for cables, bits 'n' bots and a few pints in the local boozer after work :D

Me thinks one of these needs building at work for a test :thumb:

Dedrater 16 May 2009 07:07 PM

Im liking that site Chris, I was about to make a fairly hefty order from Span at the end of this month, but seeing the 20 Drive Hotswap 4u, this one>

XC RM 420 - 20 Drive Hotswap 4u with SATA II Backplane. - Racksurf , Rackmount cases, Rackmount systems, 1u,2,3u,4u,5u, rackmount systems, rackqueen, custom server, bespoke server

for £275 has got me thinking

ChrisB 16 May 2009 09:32 PM

Aye, I only found them on Google this week so can't comment on service or anything.

Quality of the some of the X-Case doesn't quite look to be up to SuperMicro standard (as an OEM rather than big player like HP), though the Chenbro looks nice. Still, once it's stuff in a rack or a corner, who cares?