ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   urgent clutch advice needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/765029-urgent-clutch-advice-needed.html)

lomas the great 10 May 2009 04:42 PM

urgent clutch advice needed

ive just swapped my clutch in my99 and carnt seen to bleed the clutch back
up, im not really sure how to do this.
every time i try the pedal just gets stuck on the floor and wont come back
plz help

Chris.B 10 May 2009 05:11 PM

I know what you have done - did it myself a few weeks ago :mad:

You know the release fork? Well sometimes putting the engine back to the box it comes out of situ and it give's the same symptoms.

PITA but undo the engine mounts from underneath disconnect the downpipe and airbox pipe. Move the rad. Get a block of wood to protect the sump and move the engine away from the gearbox...

All this is aslong as your sure you have not got air in the system. Obviously make sure it's not leaking inside the car at the top of the pedal or on the slave cylinder.

Have you started the engine to see if it's noisy?

lomas the great 10 May 2009 05:22 PM

yeah its rattleing its bag off like it was when i took it to bits.
I removed the gear box though instead of the engine.
theres no air in the system i dont think, pressed pedal,held pedal and tighted the bleed valve so there carnt be

GpMarty 10 May 2009 06:31 PM

hi,the pedal can also stay down if you left off the clutch lever spring on the arm.

lomas the great 10 May 2009 06:59 PM

nope thats on to

Chris.B 10 May 2009 07:16 PM

It might be possible to wriggle around the clutch arm with the pivot pin out (behind the starter motor) and using a torch.

I have plenty experience as a mechanic and sometimes it's the small daft things that catch you out if your mind is else where at the time... :)

STI_Baly 10 May 2009 08:05 PM

Did you clip the bearing on the fork? or did you just leave the bearing attached to the clutch pressure plate?

Did you use a new bearing or the original? As more than likely if you used the original bearing the locking ring probably didn't lock into the pressure plate, now causing the bearing to be loose.

Sorry to break the bad news, but you will either have to pull the box out or engine to sort this.

lomas the great 12 May 2009 05:31 PM

no the bearing was in the clutch, but its all coming apart again because the gear box is fooked

STI_Baly 14 May 2009 09:46 PM

I know your ripping the box back out but on the new box do ensure that the bearing is clipped (using the lugs) onto the clutch fork retaining lugs. (bearing should not be attached to the clutch pressure plate, this is a common mistake for the 1st timer)

Also ensure the bearing lock ring is tight and seated correctly. The clutch pedal will have to be depressed until you hear a click and this is when the bearing should permanently engage on the pressure plate.

Good Luck