ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Black out blinds (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/764650-black-out-blinds.html)

Deep Singh 08 May 2009 02:58 PM

Black out blinds

Do these things actually work? If so how are they different from normal blinds? I've got a window opposite my TV screen and even with my blinds down I can hardly see the thing when its sunny

spireite 08 May 2009 03:04 PM

They do work ,i had them fitted when we got a projector:thumb:

sarasquares 08 May 2009 03:06 PM

I find it hard to tell if i am awake or not with mine, definitely worth it :thumb:

J4CKO 08 May 2009 03:17 PM

Not really required since the war ended, check with your ARP Warden.

Hysteria1983 08 May 2009 03:38 PM

I have them in my kids room, and they are ace. It's stopped them from getting up at the crack of dawn, if it works for a toddler, it will work for anyone!

Leslie 08 May 2009 03:39 PM

They were supposed to stop the light getting out during the war at least!

Les :)

sarasquares 08 May 2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 8690893)
I have them in my kids room, and they are ace. It's stopped them from getting up at the crack of dawn, if it works for a toddler, it will work for anyone!

I must still be a toddler :D

Dr.No 08 May 2009 03:44 PM

Ikea is your friend for cost effective blackout roller blinds... got them in my home-cinema room and my photo studio... work well.

gpssti4 08 May 2009 07:26 PM

They work well, but you'll still get light leakage - light reflecting from the ceiling etc. They do however cut out most of the light. I have Ikea ones in the bedroom - stops the Mrs having to look at my fcuk face :lol1:

J4CKO 08 May 2009 07:40 PM

Deep is it for you ?

I cant be doing with light flooding in, I just use an airline freebie eye mask, better than nothing but I would have complete darkness if possible.

Deep Singh 08 May 2009 09:09 PM

Thanks. I have a projector aswell, that's the other reason I wanted them.

This may sound like a stupid question but...I've already paid for normal blinds, will these go to waste or can the blackout blinds sit in front of the normal blinds? The blinds I already have are quite nice and it would be good to use these under normal circumstances and then bring down the blackout blinds when I want to watch a film.

Btw, can the Ikea ones be cut to size?

Thanks

kingofturds 08 May 2009 10:03 PM

I used to rent a room with a street light about 10 ft away from the window, Could not see a thing with the black out blind down. Which was a bit of a pain trying to make it to the toilet pissed up :eek:

dpb 08 May 2009 11:01 PM

early to rise ,early to bed

im more worried by noise

Dr.No 11 May 2009 12:14 PM

Yes Deep, the Ikea ones can be cut down to size if required....

P1-Brad 11 May 2009 01:15 PM

www.blinds2go.com are good for reasonably priced, made to measure blinds.

Dr.No 11 May 2009 01:54 PM

These are the Ikea ones: IKEA | Curtains & blinds | Blinds | TUPPLUR | Roller blind

...about half the price of blinds2go (I think you mean blinds-2go.co.uk P1?), and a longer drop - but limited in colour to black, white or beige.

Hysteria1983 11 May 2009 03:18 PM

I don't see why you couldn't put a black out blind up as well. It might look a bit busy in the window, but if you can disguise it a little then it should work.

Deep Singh 11 May 2009 06:08 PM

Thanks to all

Deep Singh 14 May 2009 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by P1-Brad (Post 8695788)
www.blinds2go.com are good for reasonably priced, made to measure blinds.

Brad, have you bought from them? Is the quality ok? They are alot cheaper than my local shop and have a wide range of colours

Thanks

Neanderthal 14 May 2009 03:05 PM

We got our wooden venetian blinds from the online version of Hillary Blinds. Made to measure. Really happy with the quality of our blinds. From looking at their site they seem to do quite a range of blackout roller blinds although I can't comment directly on those as we haven't got any, but I can recommend the actual company.

Deep Singh 14 May 2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 8702598)
We got our wooden venetian blinds from the online version of Hillary Blinds. Made to measure. Really happy with the quality of our blinds. From looking at their site they seem to do quite a range of blackout roller blinds although I can't comment directly on those as we haven't got any, but I can recommend the actual company.

I'll have a look at the site later, but I always thought Hillarys were quite expensive.

Problem is I already have nice blinds but since I've put a projector in the room I need better light blockage. These will only be drawn when watching a film so I don't want to spend too much money on them (unless I have to)

MarkGray 14 May 2009 06:28 PM

I brought from blinds2go for the made to measure blinds in my living room (not black out blinds) but fitted perfectly and good price. I did get my Velux blackout blinds from there aswell and I must say its the best buy ive made!! You cant see your hand in front of your face its great :)

WRXBOB 14 May 2009 09:24 PM

We have an Ikea blackout blind which we use when watching movies etc. Less than £20 for one 200cm wide and a drop of 195cm, and its installed as an addition to the existing blinds. Went for a white one and its very discreet when not in use.

The one I nearly bought from an online retailr was nearer £100!

It does what it should so I'm happy with it.

Deep Singh 15 May 2009 11:26 AM

Thanks Mark and Bob.

Problem with Ikea ones are the lack of colours. A dark colour would be better as it will reflect less of the projector light, but black is just a bit too harsh.

But they are temptingly cheap, but I'll have to cut them to size, whereas the blinds 2 go ones will be made to measure for about £40.

Decisions, decisions....

Deep Singh 15 May 2009 01:19 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but when you cut the Ikea ones to size you cut the metal roller tube and the blind material right? Do you end up with a good result or does the edge of blind material look rough and unfinished?

Thanks

daddyscoob 16 May 2009 01:10 AM

after we built our house we had a few basics done so we could move in - walls and ceilings sprayed and woodwork spraystained. Also had blinds fitted throughout.
They are Hilarys and we found the full on blackout type were a nasty plastic type so went a half blackout type.

Have to say they do need curtains to really block out the light but they don't look naff :thumb:

Antony1980 22 July 2010 11:01 AM

Re:

Here is an interesting article on roller blinds in general and the specific uses and benefits these types of window coverings offer http://articoolz.com/2010/03/why-cho...s-for-windows/ . I have blackout roller blinds in my theatre room and they work great...also act as very good sound insulators.

Will 22 July 2010 11:26 AM

:Suspiciou

Hysteria1983 22 July 2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Antony1980 (Post 9508283)
Here is an interesting article on roller blinds in general and the specific uses and benefits these types of window coverings offer http://articoolz.com/2010/03/why-cho...s-for-windows/ . I have blackout roller blinds in my theatre room and they work great...also act as very good sound insulators.

Also - :Suspiciou

Leslie 22 July 2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8690856)
Not really required since the war ended, check with your ARP Warden.

Put that light out!!!

Les ;)