ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   BOV as standard??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/763589-bov-as-standard.html)

carlw2426 03 May 2009 03:47 PM

BOV as standard???

I've recently read that Imrpeza Turbo's have a BOV fitted as standard. Is this true?

Proby521 03 May 2009 03:52 PM

Yes Carl. It does not 'vent to atmosphere' so no big woosh woosh sounds! It is of the re-circulating type, so dumps the air back into the intake.

carlw2426 03 May 2009 03:56 PM

Ah, ok. So by dumping the air back into the intake, does this mean better/smoother performance? Can't beat the woosh woosh though!!!

Proby521 03 May 2009 04:21 PM

Well, many people love the VTA woosh when driving along, and there has been many debates about better/worse performance. Many people run them without a problem, many people take them back off! The VTA can cause tickover problems etc, mainly because when a valve vents to atmosphere, it's not accounted for by the ECU. The ECU thinks the air you have just 'thrown away' is still between the MAF and the turbo! Each to there own.........

carlw2426 03 May 2009 04:38 PM

Nice one!
You seem to know a little! Would you recommend looking for a car with a t.timer etc or is standard the way to go?

Thanks again

Cockney Wideboy 03 May 2009 10:24 PM

I found that my Vent to Atmosphere (VTA) BOV made the car a little jerky on lift off.

Never had any idle problems, loss of performance etc.

I now run the standard ReCirc valve and find the car much nicer and smoother to drive

Its a subject that’s been done to the death and different people have different views so may be worth a search on here, have a good read and see what best suits you…for me its standard all the way

As for buying a car with a turbo timer be careful as a lot of insurance companies don't like them also there is no real need if you take it steady for the last 5miles or so before parking the car up and leaving it ticking over on the driveway for 30seconds or so...I basically gather all my things fit the steering lock etc and then turn the car off.

Proby521 04 May 2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy (Post 8681267)

As for buying a car with a turbo timer be careful as a lot of insurance companies don't like them also there is no real need if you take it steady for the last 5miles or so before parking the car up and leaving it ticking over on the driveway for 30seconds or so...I basically gather all my things fit the steering lock etc and then turn the car off.

As said really. My last classic had a turbo timer on, never really used it. If you've been driving hard, yeah leave it tickover for a min before turning it off, but the best solution is drive 'off boost' and steady for the last mile of your journey, thats really all it needs.