ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Help - Induction kit problems!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/763527-help-induction-kit-problems.html)

scooby72 03 May 2009 10:12 AM

Help - Induction kit problems!!!

I fitted a powertec s/s induction kit yesterday to my 95 WRX and now the boost has dropped to 0.8 bar and the car is just not pulling as well. Whats all that about then?????? Sounds fantastic - Like darth vader stomping on the rebel alliance but thats no good without power!!
Help me obiwan kenobi's youre my only hope!!:wonder:

scooblube 03 May 2009 10:21 AM

Why have you fitted an IK? do you have a front mount? if not then you have just waisted your money. IK's reduce power not increase it. Put your old filter case back on with a good panel filter.

JonMc 03 May 2009 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by scooblube (Post 8680045)
Why have you fitted an IK? do you have a front mount? if not then you have just waisted your money. IK's reduce power not increase it. Put your old filter case back on with a good panel filter.

Not necesarily. If it has the heat-shielding and cold air feeds to ensure it is not ingesting hot air and is mapped for it the IK can produce more power. If everything else remains standard then yes, leave it as they usually cause power loss by ingesting the hotter, and therefore less dense, air from under the bonnet. That's why CAIK fitted in the wings can produce a power increase:thumb:

I've fitted an IK, with a heatshield and once the larger TMIC is fitted it will be getting remapped to suit. Why, because I like the noise of IKs.

scooby72 03 May 2009 10:31 AM

WHY!!!??? Beacause it sounds awesome!!! Hahahahahahaha! Was a freebie actually! - Airbox going back in as we speak until remap etc!! - thanks guys - Really pissed of I cant have the sound though!!!:norty:

JonMc 03 May 2009 10:38 AM

Make sure you get some heatshielding and a cold air feed sorted as well. My cold air feed is going to be drawing air in through the fog light apeture and up into the hole where the resonator box was. Additionally, I'm going to cut the OEM duct that sits above the radiator as a secondary cold air feed:thumb:

And I've discovered that it amplyfies the DV sound even though I only have the standard recirc fitted:D

scooby72 03 May 2009 11:25 AM

Indeedy!!! Have a cold air feed running from the fog through the wing that I did when I rebuilf the fron end after hitting a Deer! I just love that induction rrrrrooooaaaarrrr! and the amplified dump.
Does anyone make a piece that would replace the resonator??
That should amp things up a bit!

scooblube 03 May 2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 8680048)
Not necesarily. If it has the heat-shielding and cold air feeds to ensure it is not ingesting hot air and is mapped for it the IK can produce more power. If everything else remains standard then yes, leave it as they usually cause power loss by ingesting the hotter, and therefore less dense, air from under the bonnet. That's why CAIK fitted in the wings can produce a power increase:thumb:

I've fitted an IK, with a heatshield and once the larger TMIC is fitted it will be getting remapped to suit. Why, because I like the noise of IKs.

But have you not just discribed the oe air box? Why go to all that trouble when subaru did it with the standard air box. Don't see the point in addding anything thing just for sound effect.

JonMc 03 May 2009 05:45 PM

No I haven't just described the OE box at all. The heat shield makes a seperate comparment over the inner wing, and I now have 2 cold air feeds and not just one like the OE set up. Also I have removed the convoluted and restrictive resonator box. The cold air feed from the fog light brings in much more cold air and also the surface area of the filter is larger than the OE one so it will ingest more air:thumb:

Also, you may not see the point in adding something for the noise, but I enjoy the whole audio visual experience:D

scooby72 03 May 2009 06:08 PM

Here Here!! We Like the whole Darth vader in the engine bay thing!!
About that resonator replacement????

JonMc 03 May 2009 06:44 PM

Replace the resonator with a length of tube exactly the same as cold air feed stuff. It makes the route the air takes more direct:thumb:

I've just taken it out and used the hole the went to the air box as the entry point for my cold air feed:D

scooby72 03 May 2009 07:41 PM

The resonator box on a 95 has a vacum hose from the boost solenoid and another from the engine attached to it - I think I'll see if I can get one made up. Resonator seems to be a big plastic annoyance!!
Cheers for your thoughts!

JonMc 03 May 2009 07:49 PM

Crossed-wires possibly - the resonator box I am talking about is sat in between the inner and outer wings and seems to be just a silencer for the air intake as far as I can see:?

scooby72 03 May 2009 08:02 PM

Ah -yes - that ones already gone for my cold air feed! hahahaha! I meant the other one between the maf and turbo!!

JonMc 03 May 2009 08:12 PM

Samco is the way forward for that one then, or SFS.

I have a SAMCO between the MAF and the inlet:thumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...6/DSCF2470.jpg

Old pic from the days before IKs.

scooby72 03 May 2009 08:15 PM

Cheers bud - nice chatting wiv ya!!

scooby72 03 May 2009 08:15 PM

By the way - like the bling!!!!

JonMc 03 May 2009 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by scooby72 (Post 8680918)
By the way - like the bling!!!!

Cheers bud, it's not even half done yet either:norty: