ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Fitted HID's and now your driving lights/Morette inners don't work? (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/762824-fitted-hids-and-now-your-driving-lights-morette-inners-dont-work.html)

tanyatriangles 29 April 2009 05:52 PM

Fitted HID's and now your driving lights/Morette inners don't work?

Fear not, help is at hand.

I've done a set today for a mate. The wiring plug that goes into the headlight loom needed the terminals altering to different positions, but we soon had the HID's fired up. TBH, they kit OUGHT to be delivered with instructions as to how to do this, and I've e-mailed the kit seller to say so.

Trouble was, my mate's driving lights no longer worked.:(

I finally hit on the idea of using the unused headlight connector to trigger the relay.:thumb:

Looking at the side of that connector that has the terminals showing, (NOT the wiring side), you use the LEFT hand terminal to go to relay terminal 85, and the RIGHT hand side to go to relay terminal 86. The top terminal on the headlight connector is unused.

We used piggy back connectors straightened out, to plug into the relevant terminal, and then taped it all up.

Hope this info is of use to people out there.

slipstream_uk 29 April 2009 06:04 PM

I had the same problem when I fitted a HID kit. My spotlights failed to work, so I just just patched in the front foglight relay.

mag6/4 2 01 May 2009 08:14 PM

good work a quick diraghram whould be good as i have the same prob knew someone sort this out

dunx 01 May 2009 08:48 PM

I'm shocked, do you know you are aiding him in breaking the "lower" (in a french accent !)

;)

dunx

P.S. They are good tho'. 3 sets for me !

steveo_8 09 July 2009 09:43 PM

Cam someone help me out with this problem. my driving lamps dont work on my p1.
Help!!!

tanyatriangles 09 July 2009 11:23 PM

Are they just fitted? Or have they been in place a while?

Look at :
1. fuse to/on relay
2. Relay itself
3. If the above are OK, does the relay click when you select main beam?
4. If yes, is there power to the lights when you select main beam?
5. If yes, are the lights earthed properly?
6. If yes, check the bulbs.
7. If the bulbs are OK, and the units are HID, check the ballasts.

HTH

steveo_8 10 July 2009 07:13 PM

should have worded it better. ive just bought a set of hid headlights from the group buy here from aztec performance. now that they are fitted my driving lamps dont work. they used to work with my standard head lights. hope ive explained better this time.

tanyatriangles 10 July 2009 07:42 PM

Did you read the first post in this thread?

steveo_8 10 July 2009 07:51 PM

yeah but dont quite understand? sorry for being stupid. could you do a diagram?

tanyatriangles 10 July 2009 10:19 PM

Nope, my computer skills don't stretch to it. It's not rocket science though:

Look at the UNUSED headlight connector, the one you DIDN'T use to connect the HID's. Probably on the driver's side. Plug two male spade connectors into the two side terminals, NOT the top one, which is unused. (I used piggybacks opened out as I didn't have any male terminals. Eache twerminal needs about a metre or so of wire and terminates on the other end in a female spade.

Looking at it from the face that would fit onto the light bulb, NOT the bit where Subaru's wires come out, the bit where your new wires come out, you use the LEFT hand terminal to go to driving light relay terminal 85, and the RIGHT hand side to go to same relay terminal 86.

Any wires already connected to that relay on those terminals, remove and discard.

It should now work as it did before.

steveo_8 10 July 2009 11:26 PM

Get you now. Thanks!! will try when i get time.

tanyatriangles 11 July 2009 09:08 AM

You get stuck PM me an e-mail addy, I'll DRAW it and scan it in to my computer, then attach it.
About as far as my computer skills go:D

steveo_8 11 July 2009 07:58 PM

where do i find the driving lamp relay?
Sorry for being silly.

tanyatriangles 11 July 2009 08:40 PM

Follow the wires back from the driving lamps. It will have 4 terminals, 85, 86, 87 and 30. The relay itself is a box about 30mm square and 20 mm high. It will have wires on it's base, connected via spade terminals.

Terminals 85 and 86 are the two you alter. Terminal 87 SHOULD come from the driving lights, Terminal 30 should go to the battery, via a fuse if the relay isn't fused itself;)

steveo_8 11 July 2009 08:50 PM

is it found in the main fuse box under the bonnet?

tanyatriangles 12 July 2009 09:16 AM

Usually not, it'll be seperate, on Morettes it's often bolted to the rear of the n/s headlight, but could be anywhere. Just trace the wires back, it helps to remove the grille, two press clips.

I have four relays and an auxilliary fusebox with 6 fuses bolted to an alloy plate, which is itself bolted to the fron battery clamp.

steveo_8 19 July 2009 10:27 AM

Hi tries looking for the relay but dont know where it is. traced the driving lamps back but they just go into the main wiring.

tanyatriangles 19 July 2009 12:19 PM

Soory, then I'm at a loss, I can't do it over the net. Unless you can find the relay, or speak to someone with a P1 who knows where it is, I can't help.

The other option would be to remove the driving lights' wiring as is, tape it up, and fit new as on my post. A relay and some cable and connectors, plus a fuse if your relay doesn't have one, will set you back about £10.

I can send you a "blow by blow" account of how to wire it all up if that helps?

HTH