ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Front mounted intercoolers- Your opinion (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/762544-front-mounted-intercoolers-your-opinion.html)

Ben2563 28 April 2009 03:26 PM

Front mounted intercoolers- Your opinion

I have been toying with the idea but I'd like to know what you guys think, is it really worth it?

Forget the cosmetic side of things, purely performace.

Cheers

Ben

g7prs 28 April 2009 03:29 PM

What model of scooby do you have? What sort of power are you after?

STiFreak 28 April 2009 03:30 PM

Depends on your car model year, level of tune and future modifcation plans.

STiFreak 28 April 2009 03:31 PM

LOL ... snap!

Ben2563 28 April 2009 03:40 PM

306bhp at present but just bought lightened fly, exedy clutch and power FC ECU. Wont be modding much more than that. I plan to have it hovering around the 310 bhp mark. Turbo is runing just shy of 1.2 bar.

97 WRX.

EddScott 28 April 2009 03:43 PM

Personally I think at any output, an FMIC would be a better option.

On top of the engine is just the wrong place. Once its hot and your stood in traffic it takes it a while to cool down again and start working properly.

Its top of my list of mods

ScoobyDoo69 28 April 2009 04:13 PM

Stick a couple of fans underneath it to drag the air through. It works really well IMO. Keeps the intercooler cold to touch atleast.
But logistically, a FMIC is just a MUCH better place to be cooled.

172sport 28 April 2009 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69 (Post 8670072)
Stick a couple of fans underneath it to drag the air through. It works really well IMO. Keeps the intercooler cold to touch atleast.
But logistically, a FMIC is just a MUCH better place to be cooled.

You dont need fans, as soon as your moving it takes very little time to cool. I suspect they would cause more harm than good when on the move ie. restricting airflow when you need it most, when your pushing on.

I never saw higher temps than 40C even on track with the smallest early cooler :thumb:

ScoobyDoo69 28 April 2009 10:02 PM

If they're underneath the intercooler they wont restrict any flow? In a stand still situation (say the drag strip) having fans underneath the intercooler, pulling air through is surely nothing but beneficial?

Peanuts 29 April 2009 10:21 AM

They do restrict the flow, even when underneath.
Half the issue with airflow is how do you get the air out.
Its ok going in but unless the air out is expelled at the same rate as air in then it stops any further flow.

Physics 101, not rocket science.

Timur 008 29 April 2009 11:25 AM

if you do go for one make sure you get it mapped & defo your performance will change & should get a higher torque figures:) i got it done & love it as i don't think about heat soak anymore & got more power bonus was it looks the dog danglies too;) but its up to you.. if your happy with the car as it is stay there don't attempt to change it & not like the out come.

vindaloo 29 April 2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2563 (Post 8669990)
I have been toying with the idea but I'd like to know what you guys think, is it really worth it?

Cheers

Ben

Note: Not got one...

I like the idea of more regular, better cooling and less heatsoak.
Don't like the pipe runs, bumper cut, visibility of the FMIC, requirement for a remap and a new recirc or BOV to get the best out of it.

I like the PACE and Leteral ideas... If my car was purely a toy, I'd ditch the aircon and go for the Lateral version.

J.

Peanuts 29 April 2009 01:11 PM

lateral works with air con iirc

New_scooby_04 29 April 2009 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2563 (Post 8669990)

Cheers

Ben

Yes, a good one does what it says on the tin, without a shadow of doubt!

BUT whether you NEED one or would be ok with the TMIC depends on your car, spec, and power aspirations

Ns04

AlanPPP 29 April 2009 05:29 PM

Pretty much the same spec as my old 96 WRX with 320 brake mate.The FMIC made it into a diff car..once it was mapped.

Go for it.

Ben2563 01 May 2009 12:05 AM

Ok thanks again guys. If I were to go for it do you suggest fitted it before remapping my new Apexi or should it not matter to much?

I may have to put it off at the mo because as you may have seen in some other threads I really need to consider my brake upgarde the next priority.

V5RLTD 01 May 2009 12:10 AM

Defo put the fmic on and then get it mapped to suit;)