ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Reliability factor (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/762510-reliability-factor.html)

donmojo 28 April 2009 12:54 PM

Reliability factor

Hows the reliability on these cars? Have heard some crazy stories about the reliability of these cars hopefully most of them are myths. What's your opinions people? If any of you can give me a score out of 10 that would be great!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Also any common problems that need to be noted when purchasing a scooby sti blobeye, so can set some money aside for repair.

sKunk 28 April 2009 02:15 PM

Very reliable as long as they are serviced regularly and modded sensibily.

STI blobeye - knocking shocks are the main issue, even if replaced by Subaru the part will still develop the fault. After market shocks the best cure.

JonnyA 28 April 2009 02:21 PM

They are extremely reliable as long as you don't thrash them.

A few years ago my wife accidentaly filled my WRX with diesel (!!). I had to call the AA - the guy said that in 10 years with the AA it was the first time he had ever had a call out for an Impreza.

STiFreak 28 April 2009 03:05 PM

Very reliable ... only problem I have had was the Tracker kept running the battery flat. This was solved by Tracker replacing their unit with an updated version which went into standby in 1 hour and not 6.

These cars are tough as nails. The main things to be aware of:
Make sure you research your modifications well before spending your cash, as some things are best left stock ... like the dump valve.
If you are making any modifications which might have an effect on the engine management side of things (larger injectors, induction kits, larger exhaust, FMIC, etc.) make sure to get the ECU remapped to take these changes into account and get the most from them.
Don't do prolonged very high speed runs or run at high revs for a long period of time, as this can effect oiling to the engine bearings and has been known to cause problems.

Glowplug 28 April 2009 04:46 PM

9 out of 10 for mine:thumb:

15 years old and has not yet given me any major problems.(famous last words)

As above keep um serviced and don't 'drive it like ya stole it':thumb:

Norman Dog 28 April 2009 05:29 PM

Replaced the rear shocks and the front driveshafts in 2.5 tears of owning my WRX. Cost around £500.

Otherwise, never missed a beat. :thumb:

Voodoorider 28 April 2009 05:36 PM

When you say, as long as you don't thrash it, i hope you mean, not ALL of the time, or it'd be a pretty pointless purchase! :D

dunx 28 April 2009 07:09 PM

In twelve years of ownership I've had one fault which was just a duff connection on a cam sensor. Apart from me flattening the battery on both cars.... DOH !

Also had to replace a wheel bearing, after being forced off the road by an "immigrant" in a shed, no way to trace the ****. Then my rear shocks gave up as usual...

And worst of all at 400 bhp my seven year old standard clutch cried enough... REALLY !

HTH

dunx

Glowplug 28 April 2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoorider (Post 8670238)
When you say, as long as you don't thrash it, i hope you mean, not ALL of the time, or it'd be a pretty pointless purchase! :D

You will (well i do) find it very hard to 'thrash' it on the public highway due to scameras and other traffic ect.:brickwall

Once you are confident of the cars servicability by all means take it on a track day and have some real fun.:lol1:

Rest assured, it will not be a 'pointless purchase:D:thumb:

Voodoorider 28 April 2009 09:48 PM

I'm fairly lucky to live kinda out in the sticks i guess! Still got the rozzers about of course but only a few cameras and they aren't on the better roads :D

JonMc 28 April 2009 09:50 PM

Mine is extremely reliable, right up until I start tinkering:Whatever_

webby v7 slipperwagon 28 April 2009 10:03 PM

Buy well, remember YOU GET W.HAT YOU PAY FOR. Service history to prove mostly good uptake is handy. They are reliable as reliable can be, i bought one with big miles no history and took it all round france and through spain, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. The only other car id do that in is A VAN, my VW T4

donmojo 29 April 2009 06:20 AM

Nice comments guys!:thumb: Anybody else on this subject!!!:idea::idea:

Timwinner 29 April 2009 06:49 AM

My 2002 bugeye - serviced regularly 10 out of 10
My 2006 Hawkeye Wagon as above, daily driver perfect car 10 out of 10
My 1995 classic heavily tuned, works when it wants to ;) still 7 out of 10

dynamix 29 April 2009 07:26 AM

The 'tempting fate' thread :D ;)

Look after it and it will look after you :thumb: