ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   what is a 'knocklink' knock analyser' (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/762472-what-is-a-knocklink-knock-analyser.html)

HT04 28 April 2009 08:35 AM

what is a 'knocklink' knock analyser'

i keep hearing of something called a knocklink or knock sensor or knock analyser. what is this and is it easy to fit. im interested in it if its another gadget inside my car. :D

dan

tanyatriangles 28 April 2009 09:52 AM

LOL, can of worms, I'll answer you, then sit back and wait for Pete Lewis to come alomg and rubbish my answer:D

Basically, knock, pinking, pre-ignition are all the same thing, the mixture in the cylinder is exploding at the wrong time. It should go off at just before tdc, but can, for a variety of reasons, go off before, with resultant engine damage.

A knock link has a sensor bolted to the engine block which senses any extra noise. When it does so, it lights a series of LED's according to the AMOUNT of knock it "hears", with a large, very bright, red one to warn you to take your foot off, if it gets too bad.

They are relatively easy to fit, takes about an hour all up, with time to think, drink coffee etc, but aren't the nicest looking gadget.

Some folk have rewired the box of tricks to put the LEDs outside it, and then fitted them around the instrument binnacle, for example. I keep meaning to do it................

HT04 28 April 2009 10:48 AM

cool. where can i buy one?

dan

Semper 28 April 2009 11:14 AM

KS-3 Knock Detection and Engine Tuning Systems I just bought one of these. Spot on in my opinion!

Bubbaroo 28 April 2009 11:20 AM

Dont impreza already have a Knock sensor? when it senses knock it sends the Ecu into limp mode! no fancy lights tho!

Bub.

HT04 28 April 2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Semper (Post 8669415)
KS-3 Knock Detection and Engine Tuning Systems I just bought one of these. Spot on in my opinion!

where did you fit it mate?

dan

Aztec Performance Ltd 28 April 2009 11:59 AM

They are devices to monitor knock/det. It can let you know when something is not quite right (bad patch of fuel, dead MAF etc). It's highly important to monitor knock/det in any mild tuned and upwards cars.

Knocklink is the (very much) older gadget and the KS3/4 Knock Analysers are the new and more advanced pieces of kit.

KS3 Knock Analyser adds the following over a Knocklink:

* Audible (as well as visual) alerts
* Peak hold
* Backlit LCD Screen
* Bar graph/numerical display
* Quality Aluminium case
* Selectable Frequency

Videos: YouTube - Engine Tuning - Engine Knock Detection (1/3) - Phormula KS-3
YouTube - Engine Tuning - Knock Detection (2/3) - Phormula KS-3
YouTube - Engine Tuning - Knock Detection (3/3) - Knock Analyser Pro

Further details : SUPERHIDS ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Knock Analysers :: KS3 Knock Analysers

£10 Off Discount Code: SCOOBYNET1805

Let me know if you need any further info.

tanyatriangles 28 April 2009 12:08 PM

Bit of difference in price: a Knoclink can be had for £110, whereas the one above is £175 inc discount. Mind, the more expensive one does seem to include a knock sensor, the cheaper one doesn't seem to, so maybe not that much in it.

You pays your money..............

Aztec Performance Ltd 28 April 2009 12:15 PM

Knocklink kit is £170.38

KS3 Knock Analyser Kit is £176.30 (with SN discount)

For the extra £6 you got all the features extra as listed above.

The KS3 Knock Analysers do make the Knocklinks look like DIY £20 boxes. I've had both in my car ;)

Knocklink:

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/creatio...=knocklink.jpg

KS3 Knock Analyser:

http://www.superhids.co.uk/images/pr...yser-Cheap.jpg

HT04 28 April 2009 12:21 PM

where do i fit the sensor for the KS3?

any ideas please

dan

Semper 28 April 2009 12:33 PM

I bolted my sensor on the near side of the manifold.

HT04 28 April 2009 12:34 PM

any pics please dude?

danny.s@ntlworld.com :D

dan

New_scooby_04 28 April 2009 01:03 PM

What ECU does the OP have. May be a bit redundant if they have one that can flash the check engine light in the event of DET e.g. Simtek/Apexi etc..?

Ns04

HT04 28 April 2009 01:12 PM

i dont know what ecu i have. but im a gadget freak. lol :D

dan

tanyatriangles 28 April 2009 02:16 PM

Best place for the knock sensor is bolted to the top of the block. There is a space on the near side, near the back, on top of the block, mine had an unused M8 bolt there, or threads for one, I can't remember which now. You can reach down and bolt it in quite easily.

gary77 27 April 2015 02:12 PM

about to buy a knock link (one with the led's) so having a look around the net i found this thread , im paying £80 for second hand and with sensor included,

the ks3 has gone up in price by £100 in 6 years

alcazar 27 April 2015 06:43 PM

That's inflation for you. Six years at 3%.......oh...wait........