ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   6-7k What car would you buy ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/762122-6-7k-what-car-would-you-buy.html)

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 05:09 PM

6-7k What car would you buy ?

Towards the end of the year, ill be getting approx 6-7k to spend on a car, possibly even 8, but ill stick with 6-7 for now.
What car would you get.

I was looking at an EVO, but tbh the insurance for one of those things is unreal.

I quite fancy a Leon Cupra R - 2004 plate. 225bhp. I had a standard leon cupra before and they are awesome cars.

Just wondered what car you would get for the money ? Obviously, the less i spend, the more i can put towards modding and alike

stuart148 26 April 2009 05:28 PM

hi mate spend 5.5k on a nice sti type r v5 and 2k on mods , this should see you a nice 400bhp and a few supention mods if not all ready done

iv got a wr1 after selling my v5 type r and i wish i would of just done the turbo and injectors to make it 400bhp (as i alreadyt spend a few quid doing other mods)

just my thought

stu

powerwrx 26 April 2009 05:28 PM

buy mine if you want :)

haha...no i do like the cupra R ide go for that before an evo. evo's are nice but stupid insurance on them

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 05:38 PM

yea. cheers guys.

Was looking and for the money i could get a 04 WRX. But then again, i could get a nice classic and mod away.
Was looking at RB5's, but not sure.

eggy790 26 April 2009 05:53 PM

classic mate, best all around car, version 5/6 classic type r or ra if you want special

Legacy GT-B 26 April 2009 05:55 PM

ever thought about one of these insurance is cheaper aswellclicky

scoobyc 26 April 2009 06:03 PM

rb5 is one of the slowest? stick to STIrekon u may be able to get a blob sti for 7-8k

Type R or cheap P1 would be my choice :)

orbix 26 April 2009 06:20 PM

I might be looking for a different car at the end of this year as well. I'm hoping to have around 8k to spend.

I think I'll move away from imprezas though, possibly an Audi TT or an Cooper S works.

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 06:28 PM

i have 2 kids aswel, so audi TT and Cooper would not be practical.

i was thinking about a legacy RS before, not a GTB as they seem really really long.

I could manage a Type R, as although 2 door, there is still ample of room in the back i believe.

So STI Type R seems to be getting quite a few votes so far

M444GY 26 April 2009 06:44 PM

blob sti . type r u can pick a nice one up for that price. cupras are nice but they are boring after a while imo

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 06:52 PM

you cant really get a blob STI for that money can you. Possibly a Bug STI, but i dont really like the bug lights at the front.

weeebell 26 April 2009 06:54 PM

I'm thinking of an M5 at the moment. You can pick up a 2000 model for 7500.
High mileage though (over 100k) but a 5.0V8 BMW engine is bullitproof.

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 07:06 PM

yes i do like the M3's and M5, i could afford the older shape M3, but think if i had a choice, i would opt for the scoob

Going 4 400bhp 26 April 2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 8665620)
blob sti . type r u can pick a nice one up for that price. cupras are nice but they are boring after a while imo

Mags whats wrong with you u should be telling him to buy my car;)

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 07:25 PM

Subaru : SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI

what a nice car this is

So something like this

Subaru : '99 T SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI TYPE R VERSION 5

weeebell 26 April 2009 07:37 PM

Not trying to put you off but a lot of classic import STi's have had bottom end issues.

If your hearts set on one of these, I'd look for one thats already had the 3 grand rebuild done.

They are stunning cars though. The classics feel like go-karts compared to the newer cars

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 07:43 PM

Does that apply to the STI Type R's ?

If its been looked after then, im hoping they will be ok.

Woody69 26 April 2009 07:44 PM

there gettin' on a bit now and rust seems to be killing them off, but i'd look at a 2wd saph cosworth, big power for not a lot of cash, and cheap insurance on a classic policy!:norty:

oh, 4 doors aswell, so family friendly with a big boot for all the prams and stuff:lol1:

eggy790 26 April 2009 07:45 PM

the t reg one above is banny stis brothers off here, so well looked after!

eggy790 26 April 2009 07:46 PM

the type r that is nt the grey one

Stevie-Sport 26 April 2009 07:58 PM

ah ok, yea looked very nice indeed.

I never relly looked at the Type-r's before because they were alwasy out of my price bracket, but my god, they are lovely cars arent they

madcyril 26 April 2009 08:01 PM

sti every time lol

weeebell 26 April 2009 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stevie-Sport (Post 8665775)
Does that apply to the STI Type R's ?

If its been looked after then, im hoping they will be ok.

Yes it applies to Type R's as well.

Doesnt really matter if its been well looked after (although it will help prolong the agony) some go at 40k, others at 70k

eggy790 26 April 2009 08:14 PM

as for the comment about classic bottom ends, a rebuilt one would be good, however one with documented sevrice history with early oil changes etc. like at 3k will be fine. such as the type r u listed.

its only because of them not being mapped for correct fuel and neglected sevricing that makes them less reliable.

as long as they are covered u should be fine

weeebell 26 April 2009 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 8665887)
as for the comment about classic bottom ends, a rebuilt one would be good, however one with documented sevrice history with early oil changes etc. like at 3k will be fine. such as the type r u listed.

its only because of them not being mapped for correct fuel and neglected sevricing that makes them less reliable.

as long as they are covered u should be fine

I dont mean to be cheeky but how does documented service history and early oil changes help with it not being mapped for the correct fuel?

I totally agree with you on the history and oil changes but at the end of the day, these cars arent meant to be run on our fuel. I had a Legacy RS which I serviced regularly, ran on V power and octane booster and the big ends still went on it.

Marx Mcrae 26 April 2009 10:03 PM

I would get a last of the line FD RX7, just make sure its had a rebuild recently.

I used to own one and was the best car i've ever had, better even than my Type R.
Only got a scooby again cos it got nicked!!

eggy790 26 April 2009 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by weeebell (Post 8665975)
I dont mean to be cheeky but how does documented service history and early oil changes help with it not being mapped for the correct fuel?

I totally agree with you on the history and oil changes but at the end of the day, these cars arent meant to be run on our fuel. I had a Legacy RS which I serviced regularly, ran on V power and octane booster and the big ends still went on it.

sorry didnt explain proper. i was referring to the car in link (bannys bros) where it has been mapped to 98 ron fuel as soonas he got it in country plus early oil changes.. extensive history etc.

Gotascoob 26 April 2009 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 8666327)
sorry didnt explain proper. i was referring to the car in link (bannys bros) where it has been mapped to 98 ron fuel as soonas he got it in country plus early oil changes.. extensive history etc.

I'd only buy one like this. Seen too many horror storys of engines going pop

chocolate_o_brian 27 April 2009 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by orbix (Post 8665572)
I might be looking for a different car at the end of this year as well. I'm hoping to have around 8k to spend.

I think I'll move away from imprezas though, possibly an Audi TT or an Cooper S works.

Opened up a new salon have we Sir :D

(jk)