ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Turbo chatter - FMIC (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/761936-turbo-chatter-fmic.html)

Connor_scotland 25 April 2009 03:24 PM

Turbo chatter - FMIC

Hello people

I fitted my FMIC to my Impreza yesterday

A few things i have noticed since this

The chatter from the turbo is VERY loud
The dump valve dumps louder

Is this ok.

I made a wee video - This is me taking my foot off the accelerator gradually
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...5042009080.flv

Proby521 25 April 2009 03:29 PM

Connor,

Your link is a .jpeg image file, not a vid.........

Waiting to hear the chatter!

Proby

Connor_scotland 25 April 2009 03:33 PM

Try that buddy

sorry i put it up as an image lol

Proby521 25 April 2009 03:40 PM

Does chatter like a good 'un. I know fitting a FMIC does make it louder. Sounds good to me!

Wurzel 25 April 2009 03:46 PM

mine does that with my td05 18g fitted.

I also have an fmic and aps air intake. No idea if i should be worried about it or not bearing in mind the car still anhialates everything on the road :-)

Connor_scotland 25 April 2009 03:57 PM

haha cheers lads

On full boar it sounds awesome

It took me from 8am to 6pm to fit the intercooler - Hit every possible problem lol but its on an running great so :-) its all good

Its also making the car pop an bang more - i didnt think it was connected with that lol

A bit more lag aswell but not alot

C17RPA 25 April 2009 04:06 PM

sounds pukka mate :thumb:...........take the DV off tho :norty:

g7prs 25 April 2009 04:08 PM

Connor i would get it mapped sooner rather than later to make sure all is well.

Whats happening with your site mate?

Connor_scotland 25 April 2009 04:13 PM

the people hosting my site servers have hit bandwitch and its cut off all the sites they are hosting. Im in the process of shifting it just now - Will be back up today hopfully - Pain in the arse

Wurzel 26 April 2009 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by C17RPA (Post 8663438)
sounds pukka mate :thumb:...........take the DV off tho :norty:

I wouldn't take the DV off unless you have a turbo that allows you to run without a DV.

But I would suggest you get it remapped as soon as you can.

wrx9181 26 April 2009 09:24 PM

sounds to me like you have a cone air filter fitted and thats were the chatter is coming from i have been wrong before though mate

phil84 26 April 2009 09:54 PM

Any pics or were you rushing that much:norty:

Since fitting it have you noticed fuel cut???????

shaggy6 26 April 2009 10:03 PM

fitted mine afew days ago and got it mapped..mine chatters like a gudun. Spoke to dave at api about it and he said it was fine. im running a VF28 which cnt really take chatter or stalling but what im getting is fine. It not alot but sounds sweet when you come off the throttle!
mine took me ages!! had to do loads of modding plus i also fitted a cold air feed so had to mod all the piping and was a really tight squeeze! will post piccies when i get chance.

Connor_scotland 27 April 2009 09:31 AM

There is pics in my progress thread in the other section

Was a proper bitch of a job but the end result is awesome :-)

Timur 008 27 April 2009 10:06 AM

Sounds just like mine! i'd say the chatter is coming from the airfilter.. also you will get some lag but i'd get a re-mep sorted v soon - it should improve a few things, also i'd say keep the d/v on;)
ps. the chatter i get back from mine seems to be louder then my new dumpvalve! lol.

Connor_scotland 27 April 2009 01:43 PM

Yea the chatter is awesome. I love the D/V aswell

Its been remapped but i assume it will need tweaked for the FMIC

ALi-B 27 April 2009 01:53 PM

Chatter is usually caused by the dump valve not opening enough or its action not being damped, sound like its it openening/shutting with every odd shock wave pulse as opposed opening and staying open for the duration of the "dump" ( if that made sense ;) ).

Need to check the action of the DV piston is still smooth so it dampens its response, and also try re-adjusting the spring rate (usually softer).

I know of a few aftermarket DVs that I've been forced to mess with to try and cure this and no matter how much adjusting nothing would fix it - barring trying different DVs (although on two cars, fitting the factory plastic DV did fix it - although these cars did still have a TMIC, so that was just a simple 5min swap )

scoobyc 27 April 2009 01:54 PM

also i hear the backflow from the chatter can destroy the maf. u running mafless ecu i.e. simtek?

ALi-B 27 April 2009 02:00 PM

Can't see how unless the car has a serious backfire though the inlet in a big way, or the MAF is directly bolted the chassis or engine (or part that is bolted to the engine like coolant tank) without any form of rubberised fixing, which allows vibrations to destroy the sensor.

Can cause fuelling issues though.

Connor_scotland 27 April 2009 03:56 PM

one thing i meant to ask is the dump valce is on the FMIC hose but the hose its on is quite long should i shorten this

"Taylor" 27 April 2009 05:03 PM

No it'll be fine. I've been running the same set up as you for 3 years without issue. Just enjoy the chatter, you'll soon get used to it. Definatly need to get the map tweaked though, sooner rather than later. ;)

KareenaBaby 27 April 2009 06:29 PM

mine chatters as well :)

slipstream_uk 27 April 2009 06:49 PM

Ditto

Mine chatters as well

Connor_scotland 28 April 2009 08:24 AM

Good show :-)

wiley 28 April 2009 03:42 PM

mine also chatters like a good un, hybrid fmic and td05 18g

wiley

Az Sti Type R 28 April 2009 06:52 PM

I've got a very chatty type r too! :) fmic, and KnN cone filter to thanks for that.

I've also got a VTA dump valve on mine which I'm trying to decide if I like or not, sometimes it gets on my nerves, other times on full chat I don't mind it. I'm thinking about reverting back to the standard dump valve but not sure if it'll harm anything as the car has a simtek mapped by bob rawle and it was all mapped with the VTA on it, so not sure if bob mapped it to suit.

Can anyone confirm if it'll harm the turbo or anything if I do fit the standard dump valve back on??

ksa74f 28 April 2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by wrx9181 (Post 8666136)
sounds to me like you have a cone air filter fitted and thats were the chatter is coming from i have been wrong before though mate

Correct m8,scoobs don't chatter too well but cossies do.

wrx fifer 13 May 2009 07:45 PM

fmic guide for a novice lol

ok i know this is not really related i had a few scoobies but never worked on them and am trying to do alot myself any advice is welcome i have 2003 wrx engine conversion in a 2001 classic sport its 270bhp at dastek but trying to get over 300 im fitting fmic with t piece for vta valve so i got turbosmart fine and new silicone inlet/induction hose do i just bung where the hose went to the recirc on tmic before? as theres no where for this now? im just unsure after i got this on its going to dastek next week for bigger injectors,7b plugs and a vf35 turbo then its booked in to andy forrest on 5th for re-map just dont want to make an arse of it masel lol and yes i have to now as its on axle stands outside ma hoose completely dimantled before you all say dont bother lol any guidance would be appreciated im new on here and unsure where to write and how to get in to bits lol cheers grant

AlanPPP 14 May 2009 05:29 PM

Mine used to be a LOT louder than that...running 320 BHP in a MY96WRX..HKS induction and Group A D/V..Plus the FMIC...Miss that noise so much :(

happydude303 16 May 2009 06:42 PM

sounds like you got Donald duck in your hood lol