ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Budget Leak - £2500 for your old Scoobies!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/761291-budget-leak-2500-for-your-old-scoobies.html)

SunnySideUp 22 April 2009 09:06 AM

Budget Leak - £2500 for your old Scoobies!!

Dip Yer Bread .......

And you thought you would never be able to offload your precious metal ..

Modified chavved up cars excluded apparently.

Don't say Labour has never given you anything - they help you buy a NEW Impreza :thumb:

stilover 22 April 2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8656714)

Don't say Labour has never given you anything - they help you buy a NEW Impreza :thumb:

They're getting Subaru to re-design their sh1te new Impreza??

Wow, new Labour are good !!

Shame everything else they do is so............. what's the word?

Sh1t. ;)

dpb 22 April 2009 09:39 AM

leak ?? more like a waterfall - news from 6 months ago :rolleyes::

53 22 April 2009 09:47 AM

I thought this was being offered to MX5 owners first ?:Suspiciou

Timwinner 22 April 2009 10:29 AM

I understand why they are maybe doing this but there a few questions (not about the politics) I have, Can anyone help me get my head around this?

So £2500 for your old car, So anyone that wants a new car will buy an old car for £1000 and take it to trade, Makes sense right?
So any car under the £2500 will eventually vanish as in a round about kind of way no car will ever be worth less than £2500.

So if I hold onto my old golf that I have for sale for £1000 at the moment will it go up in value after a few years as all the old golfs would have been snapped up and traded in?
Does this mean the second hand car market will only be £2000 - £10,000 ish now?
Will this make cars that would otherwise be sheds become classics due to dwindling numbers?

In principle I like the idea but what are the real repercussions will be?

Gear Head 22 April 2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Timwinner (Post 8656856)
I understand why they are maybe doing this but there a few questions (not about the politics) I have, Can anyone help me get my head around this?

So £2500 for your old car, So anyone that wants a new car will buy an old car for £1000 and take it to trade, Makes sense right?
So any car under the £2500 will eventually vanish as in a round about kind of way no car will ever be worth less than £2500.

So if I hold onto my old golf that I have for sale for £1000 at the moment will it go up in value after a few years as all the old golfs would have been snapped up and traded in?
Does this mean the second hand car market will only be £2000 - £10,000 ish now?
Will this make cars that would otherwise be sheds become classics due to dwindling numbers?

In principle I like the idea but what are the real repercussions will be?

No, because people have still got to find the other £10k for the rest of the new car!

ALi-B 22 April 2009 10:42 AM

Don't forget that new cars won't be able have as much discounts of their RRP prices either: So currently, we can buy a brand new car at a price that is heavily discounted from the OTR retail price; For example a brand new WRX can be had for £2.5K off its £19.5K OTR retail.

I suspect that £2.5K discount might just dissappear if scrapage schemes come into play (as the industry will see the trade-in as the "discount" instead). Of course, If I had a £50 banger I'm still quids in, but its more hassle on my behalf to go and find one to offload at the dealers. I'd rather just have the discount without the "£2.5K minimum scrap trade-in" like we current have (if one barters hard enough ;) ).

Anyway, its a short term fix; once all the people (with an eligable car worth scrapping) who can afford a new car have bought one. Sales will slump back to their previous levels. And its only going to help the low-end cheaper car makers; not the flash executive/sports cars and SUVs (so no help to Jag/LR/AM, would have helped MG-Rover...bit late now though ;) )

In other words; Gordo is just plugging the leak with a bit of old manky chewing gum. ;)

+Doc+ 22 April 2009 12:00 PM

Does this apply at Motorpoint? :D

ScoobyDriverWannabe 22 April 2009 12:42 PM

Will they give you the value of the car as well or is it just the 2.5 k

DCI Gene Hunt 22 April 2009 12:53 PM

The deal is time limited to 2010, and comes with strings by the sound of it......

TopBanana 22 April 2009 12:53 PM

£2000 against a new car, only until Mar 2010

DCI Gene Hunt 22 April 2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 8657129)
£2000 against a new car, only until Mar 2010

:D

TopBanana 22 April 2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8657131)
:D

I'll get the jump next year, you just watch me

jonc 22 April 2009 01:02 PM

This will encourage all those who have pre-2001 cars who pay cheaper non-emmissions based VED to get a newer equivilent car and be charged at a higher rate CO2 based VED. Another sly move!!

Timwinner 22 April 2009 01:30 PM

I will be keeping the golf on the road I think. As above he will wait until were all in nice new cars then the tax will go through the roof on emissions.

finalzero 22 April 2009 01:36 PM

The whole scheme is flawed from the outset.

Think about it, why are people driving about in so called 'old bangers' now? It's not out of choice mostly due to the current climate, a lot of people (myself included) have had to sell up their new/nearly new motors to cutback on costs and free up some emergency cash.

What no one seems to be asking or answering is what happens to average Joe Public who cashes in his old car, gets £2k or whatever monopoly money and then needs a new car?

Slight flaw in this logic, if the person didn't have the money in the first place to get a new car what makes this stupid goverment think they will have an incentive to buy a new model?

Personally I would not want to get into more debt through a loan just to be able to purchase one of the new models rolling off the line - all to help the autmotive industry... bollox.

That's this goverment in a nutshell, one dumbsht idea after another

urban 22 April 2009 01:45 PM

Shafted yet again by New Labour - barstards

Fuel up 2%.

Its already up 2.5% to offset the VAT
Bet that they "forget" that when VAT rises back to 17.5%

SunnySideUp 22 April 2009 01:52 PM

The Car Scrappage Scheme has been a great success around Europe - don't know if the British are different?

I cannot see it working, as those who know anything can see that the new price will go UP £2000 ... just because demand will ensure that Dealers can ask (and get) List Price!

hodgy0_2 22 April 2009 01:53 PM

it will keep the gerry and frog car workers busy building those piddly eurobox's that seem permenently glued to my arse

Simon C 22 April 2009 01:54 PM

I'd love to see the criteria. I doubt very much the govt would want to hand out a 2k discount for a 4x4 gas guzzler.

My prediction was that it would effect the lowest 2 tax brackets. I want to see if I'm right :D

hodgy0_2 22 April 2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8657247)
The Car Scrappage Scheme has been a great success around Europe - don't know if the British are different?

not unanimous view on that in Germany-- I did hear a German Economic Professor type bod on the radio the other day, he gave an alternative view on the scheme that was not as clear cut

Devildog 22 April 2009 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8657247)

I cannot see it working, as those who know anything can see that the new price will go UP £2000 ... just because demand will ensure that Dealers can ask (and get) List Price!

It may have increased sales Pete, but whether overall it is a "great success" remains to be seen.

Some of the European manufacturers think its a bad idea

Bravo2zero_sps 22 April 2009 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by finalzero (Post 8657224)
Slight flaw in this logic, if the person didn't have the money in the first place to get a new car what makes this stupid goverment think they will have an incentive to buy a new model?

Personally I would not want to get into more debt through a loan just to be able to purchase one of the new models rolling off the line - all to help the autmotive industry... bollox.

That's this goverment in a nutshell, one dumbsht idea after another

Exactly, plus i'd rather have the £2k discounted for cash AND sell my car so would be better off anyway.

Simon C 22 April 2009 03:51 PM

From the budget report

To give a boost to the car industry during the current downturn, the Government
announces the introduction of a vehicle scrappage scheme. A discount of £2,000 will be
offered to consumers buying a new vehicle to replace a vehicle more than ten years old which
they have owned for more than twelve months. The Government will set aside £300 million for
this scheme with funding matched by manufacturers participating in the scheme. The
Government will work with industry to introduce the scheme next month. The scheme will
end by the start of March 2010, or when funding for the scheme has been used if earlier.

DCI Gene Hunt 22 April 2009 03:56 PM

So someone will have needed to have owned and driven a complete shed for more than 12 months and be now wanting to buy a clockwork minimoke for +£10K... that £300 million is quite safe then ;)

mykp 22 April 2009 04:22 PM

Dont particularly want to go into debt to buy a new car unless I can get one for £2500, therefore a free car. Last time I looked no-one does a car for £2500!

However I am already funding this anyway through my tax payments, so come to think of it i'd rather pay less tax and nobody gets £2500 off!

SunnySideUp 22 April 2009 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8657452)
So someone will have needed to have owned and driven a complete shed for more than 12 months and be now wanting to buy a clockwork minimoke for +£10K... that £300 million is quite safe then ;)

There are Impreza's out there more than 10 years old .... some are not sheds.

But, yes, some are modified - so fall into your 'shed' description :lol1:

mrs_b4 22 April 2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 8656765)
I thought this was being offered to MX5 owners first ?:Suspiciou

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jonc 22 April 2009 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 8657452)

If you can't afford to stump up the extra for a new car, then remortgage or get credit! :lol1: I think we've been down this road already.........

ScoobyDoo555 22 April 2009 06:16 PM

Well, I'm finding it intriguing actually.

I've got my 1998 Audi which I'm in the process of looking for its replacement.
I'll be interested to see (a) if this will affect nearly new cars or (b) a new car on PCP ;)

Just waiting to hear back from the dealership to see how this will affect me - hopefully in a good way :D

Dan :)