ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Will i need my remote re programmed after fitting a prodrive ecu (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/760235-will-i-need-my-remote-re-programmed-after-fitting-a-prodrive-ecu.html)

wiseyd 17 April 2009 08:52 AM

Will i need my remote re programmed after fitting a prodrive ecu

Hi

I managed to pick up a prodrove ecu for my 1999 uk turbo yesterday. I'm really new to all this and thought i'd try it before i think about getting more mods done and a remap.

Does anyone know whether its just a plug and play or whether i'll need to get the keys reprogrammed, i though that they run off a separate alarm ecu.

batty2005batty 17 April 2009 10:33 AM

i think you will find that prodrive ecu's can not be remapped mate. (so i am tol )

AndyC_772 17 April 2009 10:39 AM

Not true, a Prodrive ECU for MY99 is really just a remapped standard one anyway. They were originally fitted on an exchange basis - you took the car to Prodrive, they swapped your standard ECU for the PPP one, then reprogrammed your ECU ready for the next car.

When PPP was fitted at Prodrive they did always insist on being given both sets of keys, so I've a feeling that the transponder in the key did have to be programmed into the ECU. This is quite separate to the key fob with the button, which is to do with the separate immobiliser.

Stevie-Sport 17 April 2009 10:43 AM

probably would have been wiser to ask the question before you bought it. IMHO

Dibs 17 April 2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by wiseyd (Post 8646191)
Hi

I managed to pick up a prodrove ecu for my 1999 uk turbo yesterday. I'm really new to all this and thought i'd try it before i think about getting more mods done and a remap.

Does anyone know whether its just a plug and play or whether i'll need to get the keys reprogrammed, i though that they run off a separate alarm ecu.

It is plug and play. I had a MY99 PPP and put the ECU into my brothers MY99 with no problems. I think it is the older cars which need the keys re-programming.

Dibs

joey_turbo 17 April 2009 01:37 PM

Yep, as mentioned, just plugs in. No re-programming needed.

wiseyd 17 April 2009 03:14 PM

I've fitted it, and its all working great. The remote didn't need reprogramming which was a result. Thanks for all your advice though.

jaygsi 31 December 2013 11:45 PM

Confusing, some say you need keys recoded others say you don't

albob 01 January 2014 07:16 PM

my99/00 were plug and play - others needed fob reprogram

jaygsi 01 January 2014 08:13 PM

I know the 99/00 were plug and play but 1997-1998 may need reprogramming, i will find out tomorrow

joey_turbo 01 January 2014 11:13 PM

97-98 does need the keys programmed, as they are linked to ECU. 99-00 was linked to a separate transponder unit, then on newage it went back to the ECU again.
None of the fobs will need preogramming, as thats linked to the alarm anyway.

jaygsi 02 January 2014 12:53 AM

Well I will try tomorrow, see what happens as a few people said theres worked without programing keys, i have contacts in Subaru so might be able get it done for cheap

328isport 02 January 2014 02:41 PM

Hi Jay,

will be very interesting to see your findings, I've bought a Prodrive ECU now for my MY97, and the guy I've got it from said it was a straight plug and play for him (also a 97 car). So it does seem there's some differing opinions on this. Fingers crossed it's plug and play as I don't have contacts within Subaru lol