ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Car Electrics (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/760018-car-electrics.html)

MOK79 16 April 2009 12:03 PM

Car Electrics

Hey All

I bought the missus a second hand XC90 a few months back but in the last week or so the electrics on the passenger door have stopped working.
The electric window, wing mirror and central locking doesn't work at all.

Anyone got any ideas ??

Torquemada 16 April 2009 12:11 PM

No idea tbh mate but it might be worth popping this in Other Marques as well in case someone there knows :)

hutton_d 16 April 2009 12:13 PM

It probably isn't but is there a fuse just for the door? Funny things Volvos .... :lol1:

Dave

MOK79 16 April 2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Torquemada (Post 8644186)
No idea tbh mate but it might be worth popping this in Other Marques as well in case someone there knows :)

Cheers Bud. I just realised I didn't go into other Marques.:cuckoo:

Simon K 16 April 2009 12:21 PM

all three things have a common link, aka the cable that goes from the door to the bulkhead. Sounds like that is either loose, broken, or iffy.

Does the passenger side window work from the control on your door arm ?? Same with the mirror ?, is not, then bet you a case of stella that its the door cable ! :-)

SBK

MOK79 16 April 2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Simon K (Post 8644215)
all three things have a common link, aka the cable that goes from the door to the bulkhead. Sounds like that is either loose, broken, or iffy.

Does the passenger side window work from the control on your door arm ?? Same with the mirror ?, is not, then bet you a case of stella that its the door cable ! :-)

SBK

No it doesn't work from the Drivers door arm !!!!
Is it easy enough to replace this cable ???

Simon K 16 April 2009 01:02 PM

Well, go inspect it first, they normal attach to the bulk head via a circle plug or something. So, go make sure it isnt unplugged, dirty, etc.

To replace, Im sure you have to remove the door panel and remove the loom, so to speak. but, sounds like a common earth has broken within the main trucking cable.

Hard to say without looking at it, so go grab your tools and atleast give it a once over.

SBK

mart360 16 April 2009 02:38 PM

I cant recall, if the XC90 uses smart mirrors,

Alot of the functions are turned on/ off via the cars bus system..

The bliss option must be turned on/ off via a dealer system.

if i recall, the mirror will/ may have ..

UDLR (Up Down Left Right)

Heated glass

Powerfold

Bliss (Blindspot information system)

And dependant on the side, ex temp sensor

Some of the functionality may be driven by the smart mirror, whereby the

main (drivers mirror) has the electronics to drive the slave (passenger

mirror).

The other option, is that all the mirrors functionality/ control is run via a

module that does other funtions, if this go's you get the problems described.

Mart

Simon K 17 April 2009 08:31 AM

God, the above info makes the car sound like a PC ! :-) Better check the BIOS, reseat the boards and do a reboot.

For 3 items on the door to stop working ( whats the odds of 3 individual things to independantly go wrong at the same time ?) you have to look at the common link, and its normally the plug from the door, to bulkhead, or in the passenger footwell cabling issue.

The hardest electrical issue Ive ever sorted was all my electric windows stopped working in the my pajero. Everytime I changed the fuse it blew, after a lot of investigation, seeing each window caused the blow, turned up to be a shorting wire up under the dash that had been rubbing over the years !

So, car electrics, horrible job, but always start at the easiest point, as it normally is. Also, have a ton of fuses, and a 12v light to test the negative / live !

SBK