ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   TWO SEAT spitfire for sale £1.5M (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/759287-two-seat-spitfire-for-sale-1-5m.html)

Nat 13 April 2009 08:09 AM

TWO SEAT spitfire for sale £1.5M

BBC NEWS | UK | World War II Spitfire for sale

WANT :D :cool: :D

JonMc 13 April 2009 08:23 AM

Ooh yes please, although I'd settle for a single seater:thumb:

Nat 13 April 2009 08:35 AM

Always more fun to take a mate along to scare the sh1t out of ;)

The Zohan 13 April 2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8637296)

I'll go halves with you, now can you sub me £749,999?

Nat 13 April 2009 09:44 AM

Pete will lend us it from his property empire fund ;)

The Zohan 13 April 2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8637394)
Pete will lend us it from his property empire fund ;)

I would imagine he would have that lying around just from the VAT savings he has made;)

Timwinner 13 April 2009 10:32 AM

We should organise a group buy for it. If we can get about 1.5 million of us together we will be in business.

Leslie 13 April 2009 11:01 AM

I wish!

Les :)

mykp 13 April 2009 11:03 AM

Wife says "No" :cry:

Stainy 13 April 2009 11:19 AM

/me forecasts this wil get to nearer £3kk than the 1.5 estimate :notworthy

J4CKO 13 April 2009 01:27 PM

Will they take a Saab in PX ?

Turbo2 14 April 2009 09:37 AM

Doesn't look anything like the Mark 1 single-seater the gentleman tells us that it originally was. I'm no Spitfire officianado, but I am sure Mark 1's did not have 4 blade propellors and pointed tail fins, let alone an ugly second seat.

TBH the owner doesn't deserve to get top dollar for that. He should have restored it to its original configuration.

On that basis, I'll give him 20K for it! :lol1:

Leslie 14 April 2009 11:54 AM

I think that tail fin does look correct for a Spitfire actually. If I remember correctly it was the Hurricane which had the more rounded fin.

As far as propellors are concerned, the original had a two bladed fixed pitch one and I think they kept adding variable pitch and more prop blades as the engine became more powerful.

Les

MJW 14 April 2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 8637720)
Will they take a Saab in PX ?

Saab Viggen ? ;)

Turbo2 14 April 2009 12:04 PM

Leslie, link to Mark 1 Spitfire webpage with period photos as follows:

Spitfire Mk I versus Me 109 E

Rounded fin and 3 bladed prop seems standard on all of them.

CrisPDuk 14 April 2009 12:59 PM

That's a later Griffon engined aircraft, probably a Mk IX (?). As well as the four bladed prop, it's also got the second radiator intake under the port wing.

Leslie 14 April 2009 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 8639636)
Leslie, link to Mark 1 Spitfire webpage with period photos as follows:

Spitfire Mk I versus Me 109 E

Rounded fin and 3 bladed prop seems standard on all of them.

Thanks for the link, very interesting that as well. I stand corrected about the fin.

I used to see one parked ouside the hangar at Wittering and I think it had a 4 bladed prop. It was one of the high level PR ones I think and they had the Griffon engine I believe.

Turbo2 14 April 2009 05:05 PM

Damnation! My 20K bid might not be enough to win the bidding after all ;). I have searched around and it seems that this is a 2-seat converted Mk IX (I think these were originally Merlin-engined variants) and NOT a Mk 1 as claimed in the BBC footage.

"The one now for sale is a Mark IX model delivered on October 23, 1944"

Also of interest:

"The Royal Air Force never used Spitfire trainers, so this one is painted in the colours of the Dutch Air Force"

Leslie 15 April 2009 12:30 PM

We did a "land away" at Bodo in the Arctic Circle once. They had an underground hangar cut out of solid rock for protection during WW2 and when we walked along a winding passage there was a perfectly preserved Spitfire parked to one side!

Les

Turbo2 20 April 2009 03:21 PM

This is up for auction at Hendon in the next hour or so. I wonder if anyone on here will buy it?

The Zohan 20 April 2009 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8639827)
Thanks for the link, very interesting that as well. I stand corrected about the fin.

I used to see one parked ouside the hangar at Wittering and I think it had a 4 bladed prop. It was one of the high level PR ones I think and they had the Griffon engine I believe.

Hi Les
PR spits where Merlin engined and Griffon engined dependant on the year/Mk.

The griffon engine is physically longer than the Merlin and subsequently the noses of the spits are longer. The griffon engine did not exactly replace the merlin and some merlin variants went on for a while

Have a look at this guide and you'll see what i mean. Spitfire Variants

I have a wonderful Book Called Spitfire - The History which is exactly that from conception right up until the last one rolled of the lines and lists all of them. It is some 20 years old now and does not include some of the latter recreations and restored versions. A great well written book full of everything Spitfire.:) I have a first edition 1987 copy i brought new for £ 125.00 back then. I have just had it off the shelf and will spend a few happy evenings looking through it. It is the Spitfire Bible and fountain of information. If you have in interest in Spits can get hold of a copy if is worth it:)

ISBN 0-946219-10-9

I am more of a Hurricane enthusiast but love the Spit as well:)

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8642177)
We did a "land away" at Bodo in the Arctic Circle once. They had an underground hangar cut out of solid rock for protection during WW2 and when we walked along a winding passage there was a perfectly preserved Spitfire parked to one side!

Les

I do love anecdotes just like this, keep them coming and/or write a book!

Turbo2 20 April 2009 05:06 PM

Sold for £1,739,500 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Midlife...... 20 April 2009 07:26 PM

That spitfire is in the "haynes" spitfire manual :D

Haynes Feature

It's a MkIX as far as I can see with a Grace -Melton conversion.

Shaun

M444GY 20 April 2009 07:39 PM

ill have 2 lol

not alot for it really

Leslie 21 April 2009 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 8652949)
Hi Les
PR spits where Merlin engined and Griffon engined dependant on the year/Mk.

The griffon engine is physically longer than the Merlin and subsequently the noses of the spits are longer. The griffon engine did not exactly replace the merlin and some merlin variants went on for a while

Have a look at this guide and you'll see what i mean. Spitfire Variants

I have a wonderful Book Called Spitfire - The History which is exactly that from conception right up until the last one rolled of the lines and lists all of them. It is some 20 years old now and does not include some of the latter recreations and restored versions. A great well written book full of everything Spitfire.:) I have a first edition 1987 copy i brought new for £ 125.00 back then. I have just had it off the shelf and will spend a few happy evenings looking through it. It is the Spitfire Bible and fountain of information. If you have in interest in Spits can get hold of a copy if is worth it:)

ISBN 0-946219-10-9

I am more of a Hurricane enthusiast but love the Spit as well:)

I do love anecdotes just like this, keep them coming and/or write a book!

Thanks for all that information and the link Paul, really very interesting.

I have regretted all my life that I once had a chance to fly the Rolls Royce preserved Spitfire but circumstances changed and it did not come off. :(

Les