ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Quick bit of laptop help please! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/758389-quick-bit-of-laptop-help-please.html)

Matteeboy 08 April 2009 05:19 PM

Quick bit of laptop help please!

Had a Lenovo SL300 delivered last Monday - dead on arrival. They have now discontinued them.

It was a 13.3" 2GHz (dual core), 2GB RAM machine for business.

Any suggestions on an alternative?

Easier to order from Laptopsdirect even though they have been a bit cr4p.

Needs to be:
12.1" to 14.1" screen (smallish), dual core of at least 2GHz, at least 2GB RAM, Vista Business and heavily leaning towards an Acer or another Lenovo.

This one was about £650 delivered so similar in price and NOT a Mac!

Cheers all!

hux309 08 April 2009 05:26 PM

Id go with an acer aspire, they have an 18" one in your local curry's for £650, we have the 16" version and they're excellent lappys, not a single hint of bother.

Just remove mcafee from it, it's a system hog and slows it down quite noticeably.

The Zohan 08 April 2009 05:28 PM

Try Dell, I have had several over the past 12 years and the laptop nad service have been pretty good.

goto the dell factory outlet on the website as they have some built up so quick to dispatch - it may have changed a bit as i haven't ordered anything for 3 or so years.

DELL FACTORY OUTLET - Online Store Stockrooms 1

hux309 08 April 2009 05:30 PM

Dells are alright but acer are top dog, brother has a dell and id say it's reasonable.

The Zohan 08 April 2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 8628763)
Dells are alright but acer are top dog, brother has a dell and id say it's reasonable.

Depends on the Dell model/type and what you want it for really IMHO. :)

Dell do quite a range from the Insperon for basic personal computing right up to the XPS and stuff in between so you can taylor you spec to your needs - well partly.

Matteeboy 08 April 2009 05:38 PM

I am typing on an Acer Travelmate and it's been brilliant - but a bit big (15.4" screen)

Hux - has to be small and for business so need it to major on processing power. Never play games so graphics and sound not important.

Timwinner 08 April 2009 07:13 PM

My girlfriend has a Sony vaio, Its ok as are most PC's. You dont like Macs which is a pitty, I got a new Macbook two days ago after my iBook G4 needed updating 6 years after buying it.
But if you want a PC then the sony seems to do the job ok, hardly crashes at all and doesnt weigh too much.

Ant 08 April 2009 10:25 PM

I have sony vaio it's been spot on the 18months I've had it

hux309 09 April 2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8628777)
I am typing on an Acer Travelmate and it's been brilliant - but a bit big (15.4" screen)

Hux - has to be small and for business so need it to major on processing power. Never play games so graphics and sound not important.

You have to watch sony vaio's they have a bad rep especially the exploding batteries fiasco.

Ok how about this little one then?

Acer Travelmate 6492 Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Or this.

Acer Aspire 2930 Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer