ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Car price..insult (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/758121-car-price-insult.html)

Petrol-Head 07 April 2009 02:26 PM

Car price..insult

We got a letter from Subaru UK the other week saying that we had been chosen 1 of 200 out of 6000 people who had been to a local Subaru dealer with the last year so come and have a price on our car above what we'd normally be given...

Cut a long story short, went in had a chat, they looked over our car Scooby turbo in Blue MY99 78k on the clock FSH, went over it with a fine tooth combe came back and said he couldn't find a mark on it and it was a great car.....

so what did he offer us ?....£2k but as we had this letter from Subaru UK he'd give us £3k for it....i told him i'd sooner take a sledge hammer to the car than give it up for that price !

Still wanted us to pay full retails for a new or second hand car though....not my way of doing business ! the cars worth more to me that £2k or £3k.

They can't be that hard up for car sales !

**Edited due to commercial content**

Please contact advertise@scoobynet.com for details of advertising opportunities on Scoobynet.

RedScoob 07 April 2009 03:30 PM

"We got a letter from Subaru UK the other week saying that we had been chosen 1 of 200" - Translation; "We're desperate for sales, please come and look at a new car".
"said he couldn't find a mark on it and it was a great car" - Translation; "I will massage your ego, we're desperate for sales".

I may be being a bit harsh and I'm sure that your car is a lovely example, but it's just a marketting exercise and should be viewed as such. Having said that, if you ever do want to sell your car privately, you can tell the prospective buyer that your Subaru dealer went over the car thoroughly and reported it to be a fine example. ;-)

Arab1 07 April 2009 03:38 PM

I feel my car to me is worth more than that too mate but as a trade in would think 3k is not far off the mark. :wonder:

WRX_Dazza 07 April 2009 03:48 PM

taking the pi55 they are.....

how much mark up do they want?????

plus the commision they get from financing !!!

if it looks too good to be true, it usually is!!!

keep your classic... they are better cars anyway ;)

scoobyverysoon 07 April 2009 03:55 PM

Do a quote on webuyanycar.com and see what they offer you - they offered me £2950 for mine - my00 with 58k on the clock :mad:

mit 07 April 2009 04:05 PM

Different car, but.... I looked at a Forester at a main subaru dealer, wanted to trade the Volvo V70R in. This was a 39k car new, on a T 99, every option,new MOT, blah blah, they said, 'it's only worth £500 to us as we will just sell it to the trade, i'll give you £1000 and thats us loosing £500' You what!!!!! I just laughed and walked away.

Peanuts 07 April 2009 04:58 PM

£3k is more than fair for a my99, especially as a trade in.
See what offers you get trying to sell privately.

Friend of mine bought a my00 for £1800 just a little while back, they may be the last of the classics but they are 10years old now, or rather the my99s are.

Brun 07 April 2009 05:09 PM

Traded my MY99 (313/300) in Nov 07 for 2.5k.

davegtt 07 April 2009 05:15 PM

10year old motor.. might be worth more than £3k to you but not to anybody else it isnt.

richiewong 07 April 2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8626660)
10year old motor.. might be worth more than £3k to you but not to anybody else it isnt.

Exactly I'm under no illusion that trade in for petrol hungry cars at the moment is poor.

What you think its worth and what it is actually worth will vary massively

BLU 07 April 2009 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by richiewong (Post 8626672)
What you think its worth and what it is actually worth will vary massively

Hit, nail and head spring to mind :lol1:
One of many reasons I will NEVER sell my classic!!

chris-RB5 07 April 2009 07:10 PM

how come P1's and type r's fetch so much then???

V5RLTD 07 April 2009 07:57 PM

Because they are rarer and arguably better!

hoochydady 07 April 2009 11:14 PM

i have seen a few scoobys go at auctions rather cheap have u been to any auction halls over the last year the price fall is hitting all cars for small to top ov the range more so at the top end just be thankfull u dont own a range rover hse sport there losing thousands on em at the moment go to your local auction hall on a fleet sale day and id bet u will come away from the auction and wanna kiss the guy that offerd u 3 k on yer scooby thats not being harsh it reality ur cars allways going to be worth more to u than to a car dealer and if u sold it to him for 3 k id bet it be on his yard with a £4995 sticker on it.keep ur car till it dies and enjoy the lodsa fun for little mun lol

SunnySideUp 08 April 2009 09:12 AM

I have no illusions that my MY00 Classic with One Owner is worth less than my 14 year old MX5 now ....... I'm looking at a loss of about £19,000 since new 9 years ago - that, alone, has cost me £176 a month - £41 a week - £6 a day ... just in lost value!

To me, while it is running sweet, it is worth far more than any amount of money I could realise from it ....... so, I will keep it.

p1doc 08 April 2009 09:24 AM

credit crunch+10 yr old car=cheap car esp petrol drinkers enjoy it while you can
martin

PantsUK 08 April 2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon (Post 8626516)
Do a quote on webuyanycar.com and see what they offer you - they offered me £2950 for mine - my00 with 58k on the clock :mad:

Ignore those tw4ts though just did mine and came up at 7.5k 06STI LOLOLOLS must be a lot of mugs out there! :thumb:

Ste98Turbo 08 April 2009 02:03 PM

I would not let my 93 RA go for less than 3k.

TonyBurns 08 April 2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ste98Turbo (Post 8628392)
I would not let my 93 RA go for less than 3k.

You would be waiting a long time for it to sell then :lol1:
Its worth about 2k, as its already been said (though i shall repeat it for you ;)) its not what you think its worth that counts, its what the market knows its worth.
And i picked up my 6 year younger MY99 V5 type R for 5k with 28k on the clock, work that out ;)

Tony:)

Ste98Turbo 08 April 2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8628792)
You would be waiting a long time for it to sell then :lol1:
Its worth about 2k, as its already been said (though i shall repeat it for you ;)) its not what you think its worth that counts, its what the market knows its worth.
And i picked up my 6 year younger MY99 V5 type R for 5k with 28k on the clock, work that out ;)

Arnt the Type RA's worth more than the WRX's? there was one on auto trader the other week same reg as mine for £3995 prob not as nice as mine too :thumb:

TonyBurns 08 April 2009 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ste98Turbo (Post 8628820)
Arnt the Type RA's worth more than the WRX's? there was one on auto trader the other week same reg as mine for £3995 prob not as nice as mine too :thumb:

At that age, not really :( plus they are based on the WRX, the STI ones are worth more tbh :)

Ste98Turbo 08 April 2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8628981)
At that age, not really :( plus they are based on the WRX, the STI ones are worth more tbh :)

Thats a shame if the base model for the very first Subaru Impreza Group N rally car isnt worth anything :cry:...........but still not selling for less than 3k :D

Maybe in time it will be worth alot more to a collector of classic rally cars, there cant be that many 93 Type RA's about now :thumb: