ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Taking champagne on a plane? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/757844-taking-champagne-on-a-plane.html)

Freelance Badger 06 April 2009 12:30 PM

Taking champagne on a plane?

Can I pack a bottle of champagne in my luggage to take on a plane - in the hold not hand luggage ?

Nat 06 April 2009 12:33 PM

No problem, it's fine to put in the hold.

Jaybird-UK 06 April 2009 12:35 PM

Nothing official, but Champagne In Hold Luggage — Aviation Polls Forum | Airliners.net worth a read

+Doc+ 06 April 2009 12:39 PM

Would it not be cheaper to buy it where you are going?

I wouldn't trust glass with 'throwers'

Coffin Dodger 06 April 2009 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by +Doc+ (Post 8623867)
Would it not be cheaper to buy it where you are going?

I wouldn't trust glass with 'throwers'

Yes you would almost certainly arrive with a case full of soggy, champagne flavoured clothes :D

From a pressure point of view the luggage hold is pressurised to the same level as the rest of the plane so the fact you can take it on as hand luggage (if purchased air-side) means it would be fine in hold luggage. Best to keep it upright though in case the cork does start to leak. Lost a little bit of whiskey once from a bottle of duty free with a slightly loose cork as it was on it's side :cry:

flashgordon666 06 April 2009 03:44 PM

liquards can go in your case that go on the plane, luggage hold.

But you cant take them on board with you. includes needles, knifes, nail files, airisol.

Freelance Badger 06 April 2009 03:56 PM

Thanks for advice . No suspect it wont be cheaper where I'm going (Egypt) and need it the day we arrive as a surprise so wont have time to get without being seen buying it...

Steve vRS 06 April 2009 04:03 PM

Why not buy it air side? It will be expensive but at least it can be carried as hand luggage, escaping certain destruction in the hold!

Steve

Freelance Badger 06 April 2009 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen (Post 8624265)
Why not buy it air side? It will be expensive but at least it can be carried as hand luggage, escaping certain destruction in the hold!

Steve

As above - want it to be a secret from the person sitting next to me on the plane and she's sure to spot me carrying it!

STi-Frenchie 06 April 2009 05:40 PM

Put it in your hold luggage, wrap it in bubble wrap and then surround it with clothes and towels and it'll be fine. Even better if you have a hard case suitcase. I like your style! Good luck not getting spotted with last minute packing!

MrShades 06 April 2009 07:22 PM

Do I need to buy a hat?

Jaybird-UK 06 April 2009 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Freelance Badger (Post 8624333)
As above - want it to be a secret from the person sitting next to me on the plane and she's sure to spot me carrying it!

Unless your staying in a tent in the jungle Im sure what ever hotel you are in will arrange a bottle, on ice and in a bucket delivered to your room along with the correct champagne glasses :D

Freelance Badger 07 April 2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by MrShades (Post 8624729)
Do I need to buy a hat?

No. It's just a birthday! You couldn't afford a decent hat anyway!