ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   First mod - downpipe or backbox? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/75749-first-mod-downpipe-or-backbox.html)

pob on the job 03 February 2002 04:31 PM

Back box if you want to make a noise, downpipe if you want power increase.

Will pass MOT emission test with just centre or just dp cat in place.

[Edited by pob on the job - 3/2/2002 4:39:13 PM]

tommorules 27 February 2002 09:16 PM

Hi folks, new here so please assume I'm an idiot....

I just avoided redundancy by a gnat's chuff & want to treat myself. Have approx £350 to spend on my MY97 bog standard Impreza. ITG air filter is in the post, but I can't decide between SS (or PE) downpipe or backbox as my first mod. I'm after oomph 1st, burble 2nd....

I'm unlikely to have funds for any other mods for at least 6 months, so smiles per gallon is a priority.

Advice please!!

Tommo

jods 27 February 2002 10:22 PM

From what I hear the down pipe mod allows the turbo to spin sooner and avoids troublesome back pressure which nauses up response.

If you fit a scoobysport d-pipe you should pull hard all the way to red line in all gears ! - wat u want !!!

TonyBurns 27 February 2002 11:12 PM

Rather than go for the SS or PE d/p why not try the scoobymania one ;) ive got one fitted to my scoob and she pulls great! (remembering that its bigger than both the PE and SS in diameter all the way thru and its a twin dump ;))

Sounds great too! :D:D:D:D:D

Tony:D

RON 27 February 2002 11:16 PM

I've got a full Scoobysport system, I did the backbox first, then the d/p, and then the centre, I would say that the downpipe made the biggest difference in the way the car drives, it just makes everything work better, and I don't think the sound would be that intrusive with just a downpipe either, I know that if I were doing it again, I'd do the d/p first, and what's more, from the back of the car, no-one will know!
Ron

tommorules 27 February 2002 11:29 PM

Hadn't heard of scoobymania. Will do some research.

Thanks everyone.

Wot's this 'redline' thing - I used to bang my nose on the windscreen in my Renault 19 16V from time to time, but don't seem to do it anymore in the Scoob......

Jolly Green Monster 2 28 February 2002 09:16 AM

Personnally I'd got for a backbox first...

the down pipe is only going to have limited effect as your backbox will still be restricting the flow of exhaust gas out of the engine.

Also looks nice and so you can see your money! :)

A lot of people go for the Scoobysport but I think they are all worth considering...

Markus 28 February 2002 10:11 AM

Persoanlly i'd sort the brakes out first, then do the power mods. but then I'm a bit odd ;)

If you're doing the zorst, then I'd go for backbox first, then wait a little while and get the DP done.

bioforger 28 February 2002 11:08 AM

Keeping in mind when u fit the DP it will fail its MOT :eek:

Markus 28 February 2002 12:42 PM

That's a fair point about the MOT fail when you have a fully catless system, but you can always refit a center/dp with cat (or cats) in them to pass.

I know that my car passes with just the DP cat in it, but am told it should pass even with decat, but will drop the DP back on if problems.

Moles Dad 28 February 2002 08:25 PM

Downpipe :D :D :D

MD.

harvey 01 March 2002 12:14 AM

Do the D/P first. You could look in FOR SALE on here for 2nd hand & that way get D/P + b/box. For yumf you need IMHO an open neck type such as SS but I think the performance differences between the best are not large. OR post in WANTED. Hope this helps.

barge 01 March 2002 02:02 PM

get a second hand back box & see if you can get the DP in the money you have left.

tommorules 02 March 2002 12:19 AM

Never thought of 2nd hand. Duh!

thanks.

Interested in the brake mods tho' what do you recommend?

madou 02 March 2002 01:16 PM

scoobysport downpipe

NBW 02 March 2002 08:21 PM

I'm with barge on this one - 2nd hand BB will be what, £150-£160? £200 left buys you a new Scoobysport downpipe. You might even get one 2nd hand, which will leave you enough to pay someone to fit it, as it can be a pain to do yourself.

I did BB first (s/h WR Sport) and just done DP (new Scoobysport). I think I'd probably do it in the same order again.

Cheers
Tim

bioforger 04 March 2002 12:17 PM

oh :) just to confirm as I saw a post, if u go SS DP and SS or other backbox, and keep the centre cat, it will pass the MOT emission test? pls say yes some1 :D

pob on the job 04 March 2002 12:39 PM

Yes it should,
I had a ss backbox with decat downpipe in my last uk impreza, passed with flying colours, just get the cat nice and hot first....

Alan