ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Running without a DV- benefits other than noise..? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/757268-running-without-a-dv-benefits-other-than-noise.html)

RS_Matt 25 April 2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 8623804)
I've been converted to running no DV. I was actually advised to by several highly regarded experts when going to the FMIC, but people considering it should be aware of one downside on maf based ECUs: it can make the car judder a bit when doing on and off throttle transitions. AFAIK this is because the maf registers air coming back the "wrong way over the sensor" and just erroneously adds fuel.

My squirrel blender sound is rather on the loud side as I have a FMIC and K&N cone filter; certainly gets the attention of people in the car ;)

For what it's worth, the advice I've always been given (again, by tuners and mappers) is VF30 onwards fine with no DV, earlier than that and you're risking it! Take it or leave it :)

Hmm I've got an adjustable GFB vta DV and when fully closed the car has plenty of chatter but fully open the car seems to run a lot quicker and only has that pleasing tiiishhh sound that older turbo drivers now seem to hate!!! I've never had an issue with my vta. Stalling etc etc. Far as I know Rally cars would still use them if not for noise restrictions.

Parrg341 27 April 2009 08:53 PM

so
no DV for performance
and with recirc for reliablity
and BOV for noise

am i rite??

Also will a tdo4 run with out a DV safe?? cheers

joz8968 28 April 2009 09:53 AM

Mitsi TD's are allegedly really robust units and most people on here say that it perfectly fine to go DV'less on them.

To back this up, my 1993 WRX has the TD05H (the original one AFAIK) and it's perfectly fine - absolutely no noise/smoke, and pulls like a veritable train.

dunx 28 April 2009 10:53 AM

Found my bung, and tried this over the weekend, car seemed more jerky on the M62 when lifting off at speed. On balance I prefer the car with the DV connected.

dunx

RS_Matt 29 April 2009 01:21 PM

I suppose recirc for drag and BOV for racing. One to recirculate cold air and one to ditch hot air.

lee rb5 06 September 2009 06:08 PM

has anybody tried this on 1999 uk turbo? as i would like to do this to my car but before i get the blanking plate made i thought it would be a good idea to see if any body else had any problems. thanks in advance guys.

scooby546 06 September 2009 06:15 PM

Guys, had an idea... If the standard valve is fine (and I think it is tbh) but running without one has benefits when driving enthusiastically, would it make sense to somehow convert it so that it is switchable between the two? I'm thinking some kind of solenoid valve between the dv and the intake pipework, that effectively blanks off the dv when 'active'? Any thoughts?

joz8968 06 September 2009 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by lee rb5 (Post 8925141)
has anybody tried this on 1999 uk turbo? as i would like to do this to my car but before i get the blanking plate made i thought it would be a good idea to see if any body else had any problems. thanks in advance guys.

You car has the 'strong' Mitsi TD turbo (TD04L), so it should be able to handle being run DV'less, yes.

Splitpin 07 September 2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by lee rb5 (Post 8925141)

As has been said your turbo should cope, especially at standard-ish boost, but the 99-00 airflow meter is notoriously fragile and does not cope well (for extended periods of time) with reverse pressure waves travelling through it.

Given that the TD04 is already very responsive, there's minimal performance benefit, that the resulting noise on a standard car will be very quiet anyway, and the possibility of engine damage secondary to MAF sensor degredation, it's worth you considering carefully whether it's worth bothering.

Dee33223 07 September 2009 06:28 PM

I went recirc on my 99 with tdo4 much better. Do miss noise. But wee whizz noise is pretty cool.

scooby87 13 November 2009 09:23 AM

I blocked off my DV yesterday after fitting my FMIC and reading this thread, i was expecting a really good noise when changing gear when on full boost, like in the video at start of thread.

Sadly i got the "gush" noise as described on page 6 any ideas why i was getting that?

Is it because i have a kn open cone filter on the car? do i need a proper induction kit for the noise?