ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Simtek rev shift light (engine LED) wired to other aftermarket LEDs (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/757194-simtek-rev-shift-light-engine-led-wired-to-other-aftermarket-leds.html)

swisstonihasher 02 April 2009 10:05 PM

Simtek rev shift light (engine LED) wired to other aftermarket LEDs

Hey there,

I'm having the simtek installed shortly and just wonder what it would take to have a feed off the engine fault light to two LED shift lights (that I was using with sECS monitor)? Would the feed from the engine LED light be able to switch on/off a relay of 5-10 amp rating for the other LEDS? Just wonder how low the rating of the wire in dash display will be?

dynamix 02 April 2009 10:18 PM

why not take the feed off the ecu ?

swisstonihasher 03 April 2009 08:19 PM

Er, how do I do that as its sending shift light "commands" down the engine fault light wire?

maydew 03 April 2009 08:42 PM

stupid question ,but have the simtek fitted , does the light flash different from shift light/to knock as was giving the car some stick and pretty sure it flashed just as i was about/needed to change gear and wasnt sure weather it was the shift light or detecting knock as was chasing a bmw z4 at the time lol

sorry to jump on your thread

swisstonihasher 05 April 2009 04:12 PM

Good question, having it all under one led I guess isn't clear...I dont know my setup yet as having it installed and tuned next week...:D

dynamix 05 April 2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 8619613)
stupid question ,but have the simtek fitted , does the light flash different from shift light/to knock as was giving the car some stick and pretty sure it flashed just as i was about/needed to change gear and wasnt sure weather it was the shift light or detecting knock as was chasing a bmw z4 at the time lol

sorry to jump on your thread

Hmm - another person confused by the CEL flashing for shift and CEL flashing for knock. Good idea to flash it for both scenarios. :brickwall

Check with your mapper - I would assume the worst case until you know for sure.

dunx 05 April 2009 05:29 PM

A LED doesn't need a huge relay to switch.

imho

dunx

maydew 06 April 2009 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8622247)
Hmm - another person confused by the CEL flashing for shift and CEL flashing for knock. Good idea to flash it for both scenarios. :brickwall

Check with your mapper - I would assume the worst case until you know for sure.

i got jgm coming out in the week to tweak the cold start anyhow ,can this shift light be turned off as you already know the newage sti have a shift light/alarm anyhow :thumb:

dynamix 06 April 2009 10:30 PM

I think it is optional but I have never mapped a Simtek - JGM will be able to advise you.

maydew 06 April 2009 10:42 PM

sent him a pm so will post bk the answer

maydew 06 April 2009 10:54 PM

jolly never fails to reply in short time lol, yes its more than likely set to 6800rpm so if it cannot be turned off set it to 8000 and should only pick up knock then