ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Got an iphone .. what now ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/757123-got-an-iphone-what-now.html)

pimmo2000 02 April 2009 06:14 PM

Got an iphone .. what now ?

Got an iphone .. what now ?

fitzscoob 02 April 2009 06:17 PM

set it up with itunes, register it, make and receive calls! :)

DJ Dunk 02 April 2009 06:23 PM

Send someone an MMS message ;) :p

Markus 02 April 2009 06:23 PM

Pop over to the App Store to browse for Apps that appeal to you and then download and use them. If there isn't anything there that appeals then you could consider looking at Jailbreaking it to allow you to put non AppStore authorized apps onto the iPhone

Markus 02 April 2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 8617400)
Send someone an MMS message ;) :p

*If* the network supports that of course. It seems that Rogers hasn't enabled that for iPhones as yet, probably as OS3 is still Beta, however, it's not overly handy for those developing apps in Canada who may want to use/test the MMS capabilities.

pimmo2000 02 April 2009 10:27 PM

Well I was hoping you MAC fan boys .. er .. I mean gurus .. could suggest :)

SwissTony 02 April 2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8618017)
Well I was hoping you MAC fan boys .. er .. I mean gurus .. could suggest :)

Well Pimmo it al depends on what you like on your phone. Putting apps aside for the time being, I assume you have done all the setting up of mail accounts, contacts, calenders, music, photos, imported some videos to watch, moved the icons around, made some calls, tested out the visual voicemail, done some texts etc.
Then sat there wondering why the screen is all smudged etc :D

Only then should you have a look at the app store as that will take up all your waking life finding **** that you can catergorise as the following:

1) Stuff I need that is both useful and cool

2) stuff that I think I need but is only for the cool factor

3) **** that you dont need but yur mate has and so you think you need to download it

4) crap that you will never ever use or need but looks pretty

5) any other stuff that does not fit in the first 4 sections :D

TBH it all depends on what you like

I have 5 pages or screens of apps ranging from useful:
ebay, wifi finder, mms, notes, filesharing, the telegraph, iplayer, skype

to absolute pap but fun like:
some racing games, wobble (that lets you jiggle around ladies boobs) etc

pimmo2000 02 April 2009 10:56 PM

MMS ? thought it didnt do MMS ??

and the button at the bottom.. does it close the application or just hide it ?

SwissTony 02 April 2009 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8618108)
MMS ? thought it didnt do MMS ??

and the button at the bottom.. does it close the application or just hide it ?

it does do mms if you are prepared to pay for it , just search for it on the appstore

the home button closes most apps apart from some of the apple ones.no big deal

evil_scoobs 02 April 2009 11:04 PM

v3 firmware they are just released does MMS!
And if you jailbreak it you can also send MMS for free.
Jailbreaking is easy and very good. Lots of cool apps, like the full Sat Nav with turn by turn Voice.

If you want a daft cheap addictive game, Flight control is good.

pimmo2000 03 April 2009 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by evil_scoobs (Post 8618128)
v3 firmware they are just released does MMS!
And if you jailbreak it you can also send MMS for free.
Jailbreaking is easy and very good. Lots of cool apps, like the full Sat Nav with turn by turn Voice.

If you want a daft cheap addictive game, Flight control is good.

I'm a bit worried about jailbreak as I only just got the phone and don't want to **** it up ..

Any suggestions ? as in how to do it, is it safe ?

Dream Weaver 03 April 2009 10:54 AM

Buy an invicisble shield skin or a bodyguardz skin if you are prone to scratching your phones.

I had a case on mine at first but didn't like not having instant access to it when out - it now has a scratch proof invisibleshield over it which not only protects it but makes it less slippy and easier to grip (I kept nearly dropping it at first!!).

Be aware though, the skins aren't perfect - they are tricky to fit and even though I fitted mine perfectly the actual skin has some horizontal lines which I assume are a manufacturing defect - they are annoying slightly, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

So much better just being able to chuck the phone in my pocket without worrying about scratching the screen. :)

Dream Weaver 03 April 2009 10:55 AM

Oh and keep it in your pocket all the time as the ringtones are so crap on them that I never hear it ringing when I'm outside!! :(

messiah 03 April 2009 10:58 AM

Connect it to your email acc.

Download a few apps (TV Plus to record sky remotely, a few games)

After doing those the battery will probably be dead so you'll have to recharge it!

Dream Weaver 03 April 2009 11:03 AM

Have to say, I still hammer my iPhone every day and night since buying it the other month and my battery is never under half in the evening, and I use it for at least 2 hours at night, browsing, YouTube, email etc.

I'm pleased with the battery life so far.

JackClark 03 April 2009 11:59 AM

Same as, people who slate the battery life have no idea.

Markus 03 April 2009 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8618409)
I'm a bit worried about jailbreak as I only just got the phone and don't want to **** it up ..

MMS isn't technically available yet, not unless you Jailbreak your phone, or run the OS3 (iPhone OS version 3) software, which is currently in Beta, and to be honest, I'd stay away from it unless you intend to develop applications and anyway, you'd need to be signed up to the iPhone Developer program to legally get the beta, plus, if it's anything like here (Canada) the Carrier has not enabled MMS for iPhone yet anyway.

As for Jailbreaking, it's pretty easy from what I've been told (unless you're running 10.5.6, then it's a little more complicated). Though I believe it does void your warranty, which you may not wish to do. Have a read of this for more information.

boxst 03 April 2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8618409)

Jailbreaking is relatively safe as if it goes horribly wrong you can restore from the original firmware. Have a read here: iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone

I'm not sure I would bother to Jailbreak though, unless you want the specific extra applications. The only reason I have is so I can run with a different network (i.e. unlock the phone).

Steve

Markus 03 April 2009 01:01 PM

Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two different things though. Jailbreak simply allows you to add additional apps to your phone. Unlocking removes the network lock (ie; phone can only be used on O2, unlock will allow it on any network). You need to be VERY careful when it comes to unlocking a phone, as it's a cat and mouse game. The hackers unlock it, then Apple releases an update and it's locked again, thus if you were using an unlocked phone and upgrade, you might not be able to make calls on it as it's now locked.

ChefDude 03 April 2009 01:06 PM

i haven't found the need to jailbreak my iphone.

what are the *must have* apps that require jail breaking?

Tiggs 03 April 2009 04:07 PM

sat nav - but thats here in the summer on the std phone.

mobile me is cool - you have to pay but it syncs outlook and the iphone real time....so stick an appointment in outlook and it shows on your iphone diary.

pimmo2000 03 April 2009 10:02 PM

mm. I'm considering jailbreak but don't want to void my warranty ..

How do you get it to use mp3 as ringtones?

chrisowe 03 April 2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8619821)

The easiest way is to use a program called iringer.

JackClark 03 April 2009 10:53 PM

Motion X GPS is pretty good so far if you want a bit more than turn by turn navigation. They do a Lite version, but a fully functioning GPS with free maps, simple exporting of tracks and waypoints plus integration with online services isn't bad for a couple of quid.

The iTunes remote is a must.

Air Sharing has come in handy a few times.

Photoswap, coupled with GPS and Google maps street view is amusing and scary at the same time.

evil_scoobs 03 April 2009 11:06 PM

Good bits I like about jailbraking
1. You can use themes, different icons, backgrounds and sounds etc. (unique looks)
2. Use whatever ringtone you want
3. Numerical battery meter 60% etc rather than a wee bar
4. More control of what icons are on (hide any icon like stocks and shares etc)
5. You can use it as a 3g Modem if your out and about on your laptop (tethering)
6. If you like games you can get a SNES, NES, Mega Drive, Game boy emulators
7. You get a video recorder and better camera programs
8. Turn by Turn sat nav
9. MMS messaging
10 . Different , extra app stores with lots and lots of great free apps
11 . You can use your phone on other networks

Ant 03 April 2009 11:08 PM

one perk of jailbreaking
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...67_8199182.jpg

it wont ruin the warranty because you just restore original firmware :thumb:

Markus 04 April 2009 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by evil_scoobs (Post 8619968)
5. You can use it as a 3g Modem if your out and about on your laptop (tethering)

One thing to be VERY wary about when doing this is what your network says about tethering with your plan. I think you'd probably find that the T&C's forbid tethering, or that you'll be charged a higher rate if you do use it. When OS3 is out it's said to include, in software, the ability to use the iPhone tethered, however, it'll be up to the network to decide if you can use it and also how much more it'll cost you to use it tethered. You can bet that they won't make it free.

Originally Posted by evil_scoobs (Post 8619968)
11 . You can use your phone on other networks

This is not strictly true. Jailbreaking an iPhone will NOT allow you to use it on another network. Jailbreaking is the act of breaking out of a chroot jail, basically speaking, it allows you to run arbitrary code or applications. Most of the apps on the iPhone are digitally signed and if an app does not have a key, it won't run. Plus to get apps onto the iPhone you'd need to use the AppStore. Jailbreaking allows you to get apps onto the iPhone without using the AppStore. Typically you'd install Cydia which you can think of as similar to the AppStore, it allows you to add apps to the iPhone.

Unlocking an iPhone is the act of removing the network lock. UK iPhones are locked to O2, if you try to use it on, for example, Orange, it won't work. If you use an app to Unlock the iPhone then you'll be able to use it on any network you want.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that the same apps you use to Jailbreak the iPhone can also be used to unlock it, for example, QuickPWN will allow you to Jailbreak and Unlock your phone. I *think* you do need to jailbreak it before you can unlock it as well, though I could be wrong.

Tiggs 04 April 2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 8619821)
mm. I'm considering jailbreak but don't want to void my warranty ..

I dont get this, never have. Whats wrong with ring ring? Does you doorbell play a song? Your microwave? Your egg timer?

I see the point of songs....just not 5 secs of one in poor quality at a random time when someones waiting to speak with you!

JackClark 04 April 2009 02:57 PM

Makes me seethe as well, I nearly stamped on a blokes phone who came into the office yesterday blasting some crappy house tune every five minutes.

finalzero 04 April 2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs (Post 8620503)
I dont get this, never have. Whats wrong with ring ring? Does you doorbell play a song? Your microwave? Your egg timer?

I see the point of songs....just not 5 secs of one in poor quality at a random time when someones waiting to speak with you!

I used to run my iPhone in jailbreak mode but had a 50/50 experience so stuck to the official rom (on 2.2.1 now).

Getting an MP3 into a ringtone is a royal pain in the arse on a Windows PC but there are a few sites on the net showing how to do this (google iphone mp3 ringtone)